E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Anyone been to Grand Riviera Princess in Mexico?

08-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

Anyone been to Grand Riviera Princess in Mexico?

Booked for me and the wifey and just wondered if anyone had been and their thoughts and recommendations etc.

Cheers guys.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Can't help with that particular hotel but we had a blast in Cancun. That hotel is down the coast a bit at the Playa del Carmen, which is supposed to be a little quieter (not in a bad way).
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

I'll second that - the area is good fun with lots to do. I went there back in May and stayed at Moon Palace (simply the biggest resort I've ver seen...maybe a bit too big!).

The service (in the hotels at least) is fantastic....the Mexican's really can't do enough for you. Absolutely incredible when you think just how poorly paid they are.

The area has been through a lot in the last few years what with the hurricanes, swine flu, world credit crunch etc so they are trying really hard to get visitor numbers back up. Back in May they were typically at 30% occupancy which they thought was fantastic after the 8-10% of the previous year This means that you benefit from the great service and the great location!

BTW - if you fancy a trip to somewhere different and like snorkeling etc then I can recommend Xel-Ha....you'll see it advertised everywhere and it's great fun!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Princess Riviera is the absolute dogs testicles.

Here is a tip.... In your room, drink everything there is, leave them a note and 20 bucks that says 'Fill me with Corona' and guess what you will come back to?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
I'll second that - the area is good fun with lots to do. I went there back in May and stayed at Moon Palace (simply the biggest resort I've ver seen...maybe a bit too big!).
Ha! We stayed at the Sun Palace. Was frickin awesome...

We didn't go to Xel Ha though, we did Xcaret instead!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
.retired.
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

i was just looking at something similar and saw your thread on main page

http://mayanresorts.com/our-resorts
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@PYSpeed.com View Post
i was just looking at something similar and saw your thread on main page

http://mayanresorts.com/our-resorts
Yeah, I looked at the Mayan resorts too, can't remember why I picked Palace instead though...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #8
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

we stayed in the Moon Palace about ten years ago and it is a great resort, as long as you're not too close to the desalination plant.

I didn't think much to Cancun itself personally, but as I say it was a while back.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 03:27 AM   #9
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
I didn't think much to Cancun itself personally, but as I say it was a while back.
Depends what you do right, it's definitely geared for our American friends but I had a blast swimming in the ocean, jet skiing, playing on the mini-powerboats etc and there are plenty of tourist attractions like Tulum, Chichenitza, Xel Ha, Xcaret etc. There's a couple of nice shopping "malls" on the main strip in Cancun too (where all the major hotels/resorts are). An if you go "all-in" you can eat/drink and put on about a stone in 14 days

I had a blast but I don't think I'd go back if that makes sense...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #10
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Princess Riviera is the absolute dogs testicles.

Here is a tip.... In your room, drink everything there is, leave them a note and 20 bucks that says 'Fill me with Corona' and guess what you will come back to?

Matt
Interesting. Might give that a try, but replace $20 with $50 and Corona with Jack Daniels.

Can anyone advise me on giving tips. The price paid typically includes all service charges/tips/gratuities. I have no problem tipping people at all, and plan on tipping anyway, but the last time I stayed all inclusive in the Caribbean, the staff actually got reprimanded for accepting tips. It took some major convincing to get the maid to accept a tip at the end of the stay.

Are they OK accepting tips...will they compete to serve me if I tip...what is a fair amount to tip the baggage guy, the maid, the waiters etc???

Cheers guys....looking forward to it. Havent been away for a while.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
Playa del Carmen, which is supposed to be a little quieter (not in a bad way).
I prefer it a bit quieter to be honest.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

My philosophy is around a $ a drink to bartenders, $5-10 to your waiter and $20-$30 to the maid at the end of your stay.

That's plenty generous enough and perfectly reasonable for an all-Inc resort IMO...I certainly wouldn't tip forcfilling up the minibar ad that happens anyway everyday!

If you budget for the above you'll only need to pay for any daytrips or excursions...that's it, everything else is FREE!! Happy days!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Cool...cheers for the advice.

I've never been to Mexico before, so if any of you guys have any tips, that would be much appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
My philosophy is around a $ a drink to bartenders, $5-10 to your waiter and $20-$30 to the maid at the end of your stay.

That's plenty generous enough and perfectly reasonable for an all-Inc resort IMO...I certainly wouldn't tip forcfilling up the minibar ad that happens anyway everyday!

If you budget for the above you'll only need to pay for any daytrips or excursions...that's it, everything else is FREE!! Happy days!
The trick at the riviera is to be honest about it and upfront. Tip at the start of the hol (and the end if you wish) and things will go smoothly.

10 dollars is a strong tip, 20 is exemplary. More will get some part of your anatomy sucked by just about anyone!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #15
brett23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 330d M Sport

Hi mate

The better half and i just came back 2 weeks ago. We stayed in the Royal Playa del carmen. We had a fantastic time. As its been said the mexicans are really lovely people. Could not do enough for you. We did not have one bad experience.

I would recomend getting the Ferry across to the island of Cozumel from the main dock at the end of 5th Avenue. Leaves every 45mins or so. We hired a couple of mopeds on the island and toured about. Some stumnning coast and great snorkling sites.

Definately get Fish Tacos from some of the restaurants on the beach in Playa. My god they are delicious.

Dont know if you are into night life much but there is quite a bit off 5th avenue. Gets busy after 11pm.

Senior Frogs near the ferry port is great for some beers or margaritas.

COCO Bongos is another good night out. Starts at 11pm over at 3am. If you go get there at 11 when the doors open and ask the guys to get you seats when you get in. Gets very busy quickly with standing room only.

Also if you can afford the luggage space buy your suntan creams here. They can be quite expensive out there. And its bloody hot.

Another trip we went on was the EXPLORE. Good fun. Big Zip lines through the junge ATV driving and canoe trips in under ground caverns.

Get loads of single dollar bills for tips. As said before 1$ for bar / waiters is enough.

Have a good time.

Bloody Jealous.

Good site for info is http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/
(gotta love a forum)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #16
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
They cleared up the bird flu outbreak then?
      08-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #17
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Coco Bongos is great - good memories.
      08-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #18
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers for the tips brett Keep em coming guys Much appreciated

Appreciate 0