E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Should I upgrade to 07 335i?

07-20-2008, 12:46 AM   #1
Dux
All ducked out
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Should I upgrade to 07 335i?

Hello everyone,

I am debating if I should upgrade my current 06 325i E90 (auto) to a 07 335i E90 (auto) and I need your advice/opinions.

My current e90 has 44500miles with extended warrenty that I bought on May 08. It has pretty much nothing except heated seats; so, no xenons, sports, and navi. I own about 47% equity on the car.

The 07 335i has everything except navi for $37500 with 5781 miles and it is certified. The dealer (whom I purchased my 06 325i from) said he will take my 06 325i for suggested retail price from KBB.

My current financial situation is I can pay all my bills (college loan, credit cards, rent, auto loan, etc) in one of my bi-weekly pay check and just a little into my second check. However, this 335i would probably take about 1/3 of my second check.

I was wondering if someone can give me a word of wisdom and $.02. I know I am going to loss a chunk of money but is that worth upgrading? Is the driving experience between the 325i and 335i signficant? I haven't test drove it yes cuz I am an impulse buyer.

thanx
Dux
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
1 whole paycheck + 1/3 of your next paycheck = 65% of your monthly pay gone before any discretionary spending (shopping, fun, etc.) or any savings (I don't know, you might be saving, but you didn't list that). That's pretty harsh for upgrading one model year.

I'm sure there will be others that will say you should do it because the 335i is so much better, etc., and I won't disagree (especially because I'm still waiting for mine to show and I don't have any basis for comparison except for one week in a loaner 328i).

My personal philosophy is that, once you have the necessities, you should only upgrade when there is a commensurate upgrade with your income. If I was you (I know, I'm not, but you're asking, so here goes), I would try my very hardest to not upgrade until you have either 1) saved up enough money or 2) gotten a raise so that your new car won't take an additional bite out of your monthly income.

Again, that's just me. I, too, am (or was, anyways) an impulse buyer. It takes a ton of willpower for me not to plunk down cash on new and shiny things. Being married helps a bit too. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by methodtim; 07-20-2008 at 03:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 02:06 AM   #3
Dann902
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Audi A3 TDI/Lotus Gray

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I know it's tempting, but I would hold off on the upgrade. You will be acquiring more debt if you haven't even paid off your current auto loan. If I were you, I would keep the current 325 (not a bad vehicle! considering this is better than driving basic boring Camry or Accord) since you have an extended warranty and can drive it for a while. Yes, there is a difference between the 325 and 335. Save money in the meantime, pay your other bills especially credit card debt which one shouldn't even carry anyway (higher interest). You can save money in the next 3 years for a decent down payment and then get a CPO 335 and more recent model ('07 is the 1st year). I can be impulsive myself (I think most BMW enthusiasts can be) but knowing what I know now, I would decrease the amount of debt you're in before getting into another car loan. Just remember, once you get this 335, after another 1-2 years you'll be wanting something newer or better (because there always is). So, let the impulsivity cool down. You will always find another 335 and when you have more money saved you can probably get more options.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 02:07 AM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Personally, I would not do it and funnel all free cash flow possible towards paying off your college loan and credit card debts.

It is pretty stupid to incur even more debt when you are already in debt.

EDIT: if you are itching to get rid of your 325, get a CHEAPER car instead to help yourself out.
Appreciate 0