E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > FFS - BMW fitted Ipod connection...

02-23-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
kevbhoy
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: '06 325i SE Coupe

FFS - BMW fitted Ipod connection...

Spoke to the local dealer about retro fitting an ipod connection so I could use my ipod in conjunction with the idrive. He came back to me this morning with a price.

Approx. £490 fitted!!

That's with the ipod sitting in the glove box and controlling it through the idrive.

Finally managed to pick myself up off the floor!!

I really want this because I am connected via the AUX which is how I connected it in my last car. However, I used to put my ipod where the idrive control is now. Right now I have to sit it in the ashtray...very professional looking!!

I've had a search through previous threads on this topic and found that there aren't many options out there.

If there is anyone out there an expert on retro fitting these, fancy a trip to the North-East of Scotland!!!???
      02-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
Beaky
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 (C7) S Line

Is the ipod connection the same as the USB connection?? I connect my ipod via the USB port in the armrest as then control via Idrive. It seems to have the same choices/menus (not sure about playlists) as the ipod but I think it is just connecting it as a flash drive possibly. That might be a cheaper option.

Rich.

Current: Audi A6 (C7) S Line
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

The ipod kit itself is £160, though i picked one up off here last week for a few quid less.

Trying to find a local company to fit it - though ive been told it might need BMW coding to get it to work as it comes with different steering wheel controls!
      02-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
kevbhoy
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaky View Post
Is the ipod connection the same as the USB connection?? I connect my ipod via the USB port in the armrest as then control via Idrive. It seems to have the same choices/menus (not sure about playlists) as the ipod but I think it is just connecting it as a flash drive possibly. That might be a cheaper option.

Rich.
I believe it is similar. Unfortunately, I have everything else in my car except...yip you guessed it, a USB port
      02-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, EQC, X5 40d, simrig

Garage List
The retro-fit iPod adaptor that goes in your glovebox uses the CD CHANGER input, rather than the USB connection the factory adaptor uses.

It works well, but not quite as good menu wise as the factory kit... but you can still search by artist, album, etc...

The reason it costs so much to install is iDrive will more than likely need a full update (it did on my 535d, but I negotiated this when buying it used, so they didn't charge me... I saw the bill from the service dept and it showed 4 hours labour !!!)

The USB interface is a much bigger and more expensive job to retro-fit and why we haven't bothered in our 130i
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Just a quickie - if you want the BMW ipod kit (as was for sale in this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231158 ) drop me a line and ill sell it to you for what i paid for it - ie £60.

Thinking i might go down the mobridge / dension route as i need to get a bluetooth handsfree done and am thinking i might as well get a 1 box application that does it all.
      02-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
emmasatchi
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M Sport 09 Plate

I enquired last week at to having the same done. I also have the Idrive and got quoted £495 all in as well. That was from an independent radio fitter way down South of England rather than BMW as well.

Any cheaper solutions would be of interest to me also.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
kevbhoy
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
Just a quickie - if you want the BMW ipod kit (as was for sale in this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231158 ) drop me a line and ill sell it to you for what i paid for it - ie £60.

Thinking i might go down the mobridge / dension route as i need to get a bluetooth handsfree done and am thinking i might as well get a 1 box application that does it all.
I am interested. I presume I wouldn't need to use the display that it mentions in the original thread???
      02-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Ive got no idea buddy!

I sort of bought it rather rushed when i saw the price without really thinking and now have changed my mind with what i wanna do with the car (and since posting about mnobridge ive decided to can that idea and get the car remapped instead!)

Im sure one of the guys here will tell you whether you can run it without the screen.
      02-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
kevbhoy
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

I will PM the guy that sold you it if thats ok to get some more info.
      02-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
swanseahammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 330e M Sport

Garage List
2008 320d SE  [0.00]
Funnily enough I called at my local dealer today after speaking to them about it last week. Last week they verbally quoted me £299 inclusive of fitting for either the iPod connection or the USB / 6FL retrofit and confirmed both wre same price. As I only have the AUX connection and I don't want a glovebox solution - I want to use the front armrest, I decided on the USB retrofit. Went today to book it in, confirmed price - £299 as they previously told me, so booked it in to have it done on Friday . 1/2 hour later they phoned me to say the USB retrofit wasn't £299 but £900 instead. WTF. They insisted theat's what they quoted me previously but it wasn't.
Appreciate 0