E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > I just had a deutsche europlate made "Luftwaffe"

02-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #45
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

OK let's see if I can explain the logic of a Luftwaffe plate. (Which I think is pretty sweet) When a car is fast you say it's like a rocket or a jet. Luftwaffe = air force. German word, German car. Get it? It's like the Blasen (to blow iirc) plate someone suggested for a 335.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 03:58 AM   #46
baltik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: porsche 944 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by King335i View Post
Yeah, this is pathetic.

I'm sorry Baltik, but your assessment of the situation is flawed in so many ways that I can't even begin to outline them. E90T just agrees cause he's doing what he does best, being a negative sensationalist. Both of you are incorrect though.

This means nothing other than 'airforce', and to say that it is in some way related to a situation where calling happy people gay could be misinterpreted is radically foolish. Really guys, it is in such poor judgement that you come on here making such idiotic statements and comparisons, I'm embarassed for you...
To take every word at it's literal meaning and completely ignore it's cultural meaning/significance is frankly idiotic, to put a swastica on your shirt because it's an ancient hindu symbol is commendable but being blind to the reaction it will illicit in everyone isn't the brightest thing in the world. (yes I am aware that the hindu sign is flipped around - my point still stands)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 06:05 AM   #47
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post
To take every word at it's literal meaning and completely ignore it's cultural meaning/significance is frankly idiotic, to put a swastica on your shirt because it's an ancient hindu symbol is commendable but being blind to the reaction it will illicit in everyone isn't the brightest thing in the world. (yes I am aware that the hindu sign is flipped around - my point still stands)
Maybe I missed it, but you still haven't said what exactly the Luftwaffe did that is so wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 06:40 AM   #48
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2guy View Post
Whether the word is right or wrong isn't the issue to me so much as the type of response people will have to this plate. Probably half of the people that see it won't even be able to pronounce it correctly to understand the connection. The people that do understand will question "why" you put that on your car. Putting "Air force" on a plate that is attached to your German car makes people probably think you serve in the USAF. But to put "Luftwaffe" on a plate that is attached to your German car is not so harmless. The fact that the word does have a strong connection to an event in history where millions of people died over some of most polluted thinking of mankind's recorded history makes people question your motive. Are you simply putting a word on your car that sounds cool or is German for something you have an appreciation for to go with the German car norm of having a europlate? Some, and I think quite a few actually, will think you are someone that agrees with the ideals of Nazism. What this means though for you, and you can obviously disagree, is that you may experience backlash for this plate. Some people feel very strongly about the subject and could be compelled to leave you a message about their dislike of your plate. Now you have to decide whether your favored word being on your car is more important than having to worry about vandalism and people stopping you to address your motive for this signage. To me, I think you are wasting your time and are just setting your self up for stupid shit to happen to your expensive car.
+1.

I as a dutchman have some friends in NYC. A few years ago we were talking jokes and I was making a 'joke' about Timothy McVeigh and the McDonalds hamburgers, literally blown out of proportions. Anyway. 2 of my NYC friends didn't like my jokes about McVeigh and they were mad at me for some time. I apologized but until now I don't know why....Just for the peace of it I guess.

Anyway. Some people might be offended by what other people say or do. I don't have a problem with a LUFTWAFFE plate but here in NL I think the police would make you pull over and ask what's the meaning.(of driving around with a WWII sounding world)

So every country has its own things I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 06:46 AM   #49
Major
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 745li / cls 55

i dont find it offensive... it just means air force
      02-13-2007, 06:49 AM   #50
E36325is
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe

I prefer Panzer...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 06:58 AM   #51
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36325is View Post
I prefer Panzer...
Let's be honest. We all drive boats, our big fat e90/E92s!

So KRIEGSMARINE would be a better word on that plate. ROFL

I sometimes race this car in racingsim GTR2:
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 07:38 AM   #52
Rico
Rep
Drives:

Why not "Das Boot" ?

a Perfect match on a e90 dreier LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 07:51 AM   #53
baltik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: porsche 944 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post
To some people (as I have previously stated I personally could care less) having Luftwaffe on your license could be easily construed as subtle support for the nazi German war machine. IE - if someone was a neo nazi and wanted to show their support on their license plate - Luftwafe and Blitzkrieg would be high on the list.

Just trying to save the original poster from having his shiny new beemer keyed. Of course if he wants to be Rosa Parks of the German linguistic society, he has my full support.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 10:32 AM   #54
dencoop
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche (991) 911 C4S Cab

I Drive a German/Japan made car. No Issue

The word "Luftwaffe" in its meaning may mean AIR Force that I don't have any issue with But Many people will - as has been posted in some of the other posts tie the word to Nazi Germany.

-and having some one put USAF will not get the same reaction because in WWII

the US stood for justice and were not fighting to take over the world. and eliminate Jews off the face of the planet.

Do whatever you want its your car BUT I would strongly suggest going against "Luftwaffe" on your plate.

Not cool in my book......

this is only my opinion...so good luck with whatever you decide
      02-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #55
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
I have degrees in Central European History and German, so I think I can take a stab at this. Luftwaffe is still used to this day for the Federal Republic's air force; I have friends who served in the Luftwaffe just a few years ago. Yes, this word has negative connotations, but I'm guessing that most Americans won't even know what it means. The few that do will recognize it from the History Channel and remember the link to WWII. So would I put it on my car? No. But that's me. I have a real German plate from when I lived there, but my state requires a front plate and I don't want to deal with that situation...
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #56
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman View Post
...What would we think if we were to travel to Japan, and see a Japanese driver with a Mustang sport a Japanese plate that read, "Air Force?"

heh heh, seriously. Might have just as well had the license plate spell
FW-190 (the fighter plane BMW made the engines for).

Personally, the plate's a little off color, but not too terrible. Politics aside, the German planes from the war were technically cool machines for their day. It's not like the plate says 'Sieg Heil', 'Gott mit Uns', 'NSDAP', or anything else overtly related to the Nazi party.

The problem is that I don't think it (the current wording on the plate) will make much sense to a lot of people except to make them think that the OP is some sort of facist or something. Not insinuating that he/she is or anything, just taking ppl's ignorance into account. The other posters are right. Many ppl think specifically WWII Nazi Air force when they read 'Luftwaffe'.

So, it may not be in the best taste, but it's also likely not illegal, so it's the OP's personal choice.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #57
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydrz View Post
I have degrees in Central European History and German, so I think I can take a stab at this. Luftwaffe is still used to this day for the Federal Republic's air force; I have friends who served in the Luftwaffe just a few years ago. Yes, this word has negative connotations, but I'm guessing that most Americans won't even know what it means. The few that do will recognize it from the History Channel and remember the link to WWII. So would I put it on my car? No. But that's me. I have a real German plate from when I lived there, but my state requires a front plate and I don't want to deal with that situation...
I disagree. I think that while most Americans may know quite little detail about WWII, they most definitely know Hitler, Nazi, the phrase 'Sieg Heil', and Luftwaffe. If anything, they may not realize that the word is spelled this way. Us Americans are a nation of piss poor spellers imo.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 11:21 AM   #58
E90T
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944 View Post
heh heh, seriously. Might have just as well had the license plate spell
FW-190 (the fighter plane BMW made the engines for).

Personally, the plate's a little off color, but not too terrible. Politics aside, the German planes from the war were technically cool machines for their day. It's not like the plate says 'Sieg Heil', 'Gott mit Uns', 'NSDAP', or anything else overtly related to the Nazi party.

The problem is that I don't think it (the current wording on the plate) will make much sense to a lot of people except to make them think that the OP is some sort of facist or something. Not insinuating that he/she is or anything, just taking ppl's ignorance into account. The other posters are right. Many ppl think specifically WWII Nazi Air force when they read 'Luftwaffe'.

So, it may not be in the best taste, but it's also likely not illegal, so it's the OP's personal choice.

Cool link

http://www.aviation-history.com/focke-wulf/fw190.html

"From that time on, in spite of some severe problems with the BMW 801 engine, the 190 kept even or ahead of Allied fighters through successive versions. "

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #59
E90T
Captain
Canada
Rep

If we are talking technology then FW-190 would make sense as it was a BMW engine in that plane. Despite the air force it was associated with it was still a brilliant peice of machinery. This would not be offensive.

Luftwaffe could be though.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #60
E90T
Captain
Canada
Rep

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 12:33 PM   #61
ChrisM135i
Verd1chtete 1ntensität
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E82

Garage List
2008 135i E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saebb
n my oppinion, you have to look forward and not backwards all the time. Have you been directly involved in German attacks during the WWII? I guess not.
Well said.. nothing to add!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummelenj View Post
BMW was forced to participate in making engines and other machinery for Nazi-Germany, so driving BMW is also wrong??
BMW built the engines of the well known "Ju-52" and "Fw-190".. BMW also manufactured the engines of the first, tactical and operational used jet-fighter in history.. the Me-262. After the war, BMW restarted the production and produced mainly kitchen equipment... and now, you know it.. :P Driving it every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90T
FW-190 would make sense as it was a BMW engine in that plane. Despite the air force it was associated with it was still a brilliant peice of machinery
This is definitely an offense against the american planes such as P-51 and P-47..
In different aviation forums you can find guys, saying that the german fighter planes (all over) were bullshit³..

Back to Topic: As a german, born in munich and a little bit rooted to USA (my grandfather was born in New Jersey) i cant find ANY bad connection to the german word "Luftwaffe".. its just the "Air Force" (also already said in this thread). It was always called the "Luftwaffe"... never mind in which time period it was.
Now I dont want to offend someone.. but i cant understand why people connecting bad reputations with this word and say "its not politcal correct" As above mentioned.. it just says "Airforce".

For sure.. the german started bombing cities and so on.. but the british and amercian airforce did the same, didnt they?
So why is the word not political correct.. i would be very pleased if someone can give me a good explanation on this.. For me its more than 60 years ago and i dont have any direct connection from my person to this time. Thats why this discussion makes no sense in my thinking.. ;-)

Edit: Keep cool and enjoy driving your BMW!

BMW 135i E82 - 6 MT - ///M-Sport - M 261 - Black Saphir - Xenon - PDC - NaviProf - BMW Online - BMW Assist - HiFi Sound System
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #62
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM318ti
Back to Topic: As a german, born in munich and a little bit rooted to USA (my grandfather was born in New Jersey) i cant find ANY bad connection to the german word "Luftwaffe".. its just the "Air Force" (also already said in this thread). It was always called the "Luftwaffe"... never mind in which time period it was.
Now I dont want to offend someone.. but i cant understand why people connecting bad reputations with this word and say "its not politcal correct" As above mentioned.. it just says "Airforce".

For sure.. the german started bombing cities and so on.. but the british and amercian airforce did the same, didnt they?
So why is the word not political correct.. i would be very pleased if someone can give me a good explanation on this.. For me its more than 60 years ago and i dont have any direct connection from my person to this time. Thats why this discussion makes no sense in my thinking.. ;-)

Edit: Keep cool and enjoy driving your BMW!
Well, like I said, I don't know that it's really an offensive plate. As you said, it's the word for Air Force. However, it's off color (ie can be construed as inappropriate) because most of the time anyone ever hears of the German Luftwaffe, it's almost always in the context of WWII. They didn't make nearly as much news when they bought the Eurofighter

As for your point of not being directly involved, I disagree. Not to sound preachy, but being Polish, I have immediate family that was, ahem, 'directly' involved, and they sure as hell were affected by it. My grandfather was a Polish partisan in the war, my uncle was an ammunition runner during the Warsaw uprising, and I never had the chance to even know at least a couple members of my family because of Lebensraum. Yes, it was 60 years ago, I wasn't there personally, and I obviously don't avoid all things German, but it still happened, and there are still people around who might find it somewhat offensive. Again, not trying to preach, but just trying to give perspective.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 01:51 PM   #63
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944 View Post
I disagree. I think that while most Americans may know quite little detail about WWII, they most definitely know Hitler, Nazi, the phrase 'Sieg Heil', and Luftwaffe. If anything, they may not realize that the word is spelled this way. Us Americans are a nation of piss poor spellers imo.
Hmm...the same Americans who think "Schnitzel" is a type of sausage?

I think "Band of Brothers" should be shown in HS history class...
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 01:54 PM   #64
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
How many times during this past fall, and even on 4th of February, has the term "blitz" been called out over the airwaves? "He picked up the blitz!", "Here comes the blitz!", "They're showing blitz!" Isn't this reminiscent of WWII since it is a shortening of "blitzkrieg" or "lightning war", a term coined in WWII. There isn't any outcry against that, is there?

As for the term on the license plate, which photo below represents the Luftwaffe? The middle photo (Me109) probably is chosen when, in fact, all three represent the "Luftwaffe" in their era; in 1914-1918, 1939-1945, and 1964.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269

Last edited by SoYank; 08-12-2007 at 03:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #65
Joop!
Major
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM318ti View Post
...BMW built the engines of the well known "Ju-52" and "Fw-190".. BMW also manufactured the engines of the first, tactical and operational used jet-fighter in history.. the Me-262. After the war, BMW restarted the production and produced mainly kitchen equipment... and now, you know it.. :P Driving it every day
I did know this, I already mentioned this in another thread around this forum (Where does the roundel come from), but now more people will know that they are driving around in a car from a domestic products manufacturer.

BMW - Maßstab für Fahrspaß
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #66
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydrz View Post
Hmm...the same Americans who think "Schnitzel" is a type of sausage?

I think "Band of Brothers" should be shown in HS history class...
Please, you know as well as I do that you never make it to WWII in HS history. Always spend too much time yammering about everything else in Western Civ, lol <tongue firmly in cheek>

Appreciate 0