E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > What sort of TV will work when viewed from below ?

04-04-2015, 02:30 AM   #1
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

What sort of TV will work when viewed from below ?

I have a small very old CRT TV on top of my kitchen fridge /freezer. Id like to replace it with something wide screen but when I tried a flat screen several years ago the angle was such that it cold not been seen from the kitchen table some 6' away.

The fridge freezer is 70" tall and the ceiling beams allow a 16" above that for the TV.

What sort of TV allows good viewing from below ? I could add a few degrees of downward tilt.
      04-04-2015, 02:37 AM   #2
'V'
Captain
Rep
Drives: ~Carbon black F36

Tv technology has moved in a bit with regards to viewing angles (meaning from left and right). However, modern flat or curved TVs are more or less designed around the person viewing from directly infront of them. I'd say your best sticking with a CRT unless you can put a flat screen on a bracket and tilt it down slightly.
Do you have cupboards on the wall above your work surface? You could always get an under unit one that flips out
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 02:43 AM   #3
half Colin
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330D M Sport

A quick Google brings up the following info. Look down at the questions for vertical viewing angles.

www.rtings.com/info/viewing-angle-tvs
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

Thanks for the help. Went to John Lewis and got a 22" Samsung Smart TV and a wall bracket, after checking the vertical viewing angle . You are right - LED TVs have improved enormously since I last checked them out a couple of years ago. I made a metal bracket to span between two adjacent beams, with a vertical plate to act as a "wall" for the adjustable wall bracket. Very pleased with the results.
Now I can watch Top Gear in peace .... oh bugger !