E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Under floor heating advice..

04-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
SA320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Under floor heating advice..

Hi all

I've recently completed on a 3 bed semi detached property - our first place

We're not moving in until we've had some renovation works done.. getting a single storey rear conversion (which will be the new kitchen and living area) and a part front double storey conversion.

I wanted to call out to those of you who have had underfloor heating installed. We're looking to get it for the kitchen/living space. It will be roughly 30 square metres..

After some reading I think we'll go for a water based system given that it will be a new build and that gas is cheaper than electricity.

Any general advise on:

1) Recommended / trusted suppliers? We're based in Watford..

2) Boilers? We're most likely going to change to a new boiler.. do we go combi? Shall we get a megaflow system whilst we're at it?

3) Approximate costs for this amount of space?

Many thanks

Suraj
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

Hi mate - firstly, congrats on the new place

Have you considered an alternative to underfloor heating such as heater vents at the bottom of the kitchen units - something I have seen at my uncle's house (who went this option to avoid tricky and expensive repairs in the event of a fault developing) or any other "visible/accessable" system?

Surely if the underfloor heating goes wrong you will have to rip-up tiles or flooring to fix etc - whist we dont have underfloor heating in our kitchen/dining extension area, one of our central heating pipes sprung a slow leak a couple of years ago and we had to tear-up the laminate flooring along with the floor tiles in the kitchen. A small leak ended up costing over £2k once it was repaired and replaced with new tiles etc

Would def get a mega-flow installed if it was me at the start of a renovation

My 2p!

Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

I haven't done the research fully but if you need a new boiler you could consider an air source heat pump and under floor heating system.

You can get grants and payment for any renewable energy you create to help offset the cost of running it with electricity. For example the rough guide is elec heating is around 11 - 14p kW depending on the tariff you are on. So much more expensive than gas.

But government pays you around 7p for each unit you generate with your air source heat pump. And for you as the user, the 1kW used to run the pump turns into nearly 4kW of heat generated. There is very little wastage and i believe they are quite low maintenance.

As an alternative to gas they are very appealing.

They are or used to be quite costly so you need to do your research and you need to have a really well insulated house, walls floors and loft etc.

If i was doing up a house i would put one in and wish i had done it 3 years ago when i replaced all my floors... as underfloor heating throughout is the preferred heat distribution method for air source pumps.

You can get assistance from solar too.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

would not do a underfloor heating via a water system, what you need to plan is the future, 5-10 years down the line if the pipe breaks then you're going to have a nightmare. Stick with mat kit, if it break you just turn it off until you can be bother to repair it. One cost of water pipe repair will offset any electricty savings and you dont use the heating all year round anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 04:24 AM   #5
mkultr4
Rep
Drives: BMW

underfloor heating

Hello Mate,

Congrats on the new pad. Underfloor heating should be guaranteed for at least 25 years. It will give you the feeling of being warmer than you actually are due to walking on the floor.

I was speaking to the underfloor heating installers where i'm working and they said there is no worries about bursting pipes and it will be a lot more efficient than traditional rads.

A copper pipe could burst and if you have tiled floor in bathroom, its either the tiles that have to be lifted or the ceiling downstairs.

What numerous plasterers have told me is to use thermal board on the outside walls as it will pay dividends in saved heating bills. Ebay is the best place to look for boards as they are expensive from a merchants.
Appreciate 0