E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Eric's HPF Single Turbo N54 Is ALIVE - VIDEO

02-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #661
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Posting smilies isn't gonna get that CAS fixed!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #662
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
For some reason, this cracked me up
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #663
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
Neither is anything else at this point. The dealership doesn't expect the new module to arrive until Thurs. So until then, our 6 month long project is just sitting at the dealership. I might be LOLing on the forum, but i'm crying inside.

On that note, I think everyone needs to cool out a bit when it comes to demanding update and getting upset when/if they don't come. Trust me, what HPF (and us) are doing is something that no one has successfully done before. So there are always going to be hurdles and roadblocks that are unforeseen. And sometimes it's reasonable for us to just keep quiet until we figure out the solution. And as we all should know by now, figuring out solutions rarely follows a schedule.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #664
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Neither is anything else at this point. The dealership doesn't expect the new module to arrive until Thurs. So until then, our 6 month long project is just sitting at the dealership. I might be LOLing on the forum, but i'm crying inside.

Shiv
What happened to your CAS module? Car lock up on you, doesn't want to start to be tampered with?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #665
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
What happened to your CAS module? Car lock up on you, doesn't want to start to be tampered with?
There you go again...

Let keep this thread on topic. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #666
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

just kidding man
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #667
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
just kidding man
OK. I don't want you to get banned again. Seriously.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #668
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesuperboi View Post
OK. I don't want you to get banned again. Seriously.
heh no worries i'm not going that wild on this forum anymore
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #669
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

On that note, I think everyone needs to cool out a bit when it comes to demanding update and getting upset when/if they don't come. Trust me, what HPF (and us) are doing is something that no one has successfully done before. So there are always going to be hurdles and roadblocks that are unforeseen. And sometimes it's reasonable for us to just keep quiet until we figure out the solution. And as we all should know by now, figuring out solutions rarely follows a schedule.

Shiv
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #670
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
Nice!

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #671
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Kirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
that's weird Chris (channeled through DZ) said something different then Kirk.

Check valve sounds scary for everyday use.
We run a check valve on every HPF E46 M3 for the last 6 years. All it does is prevent oil from feeding to the turbo while the car isnt running.
The placement of the turbo is why this is needed, same reason why we need to run a scavenge pump.
Are you guys running an oil restrictor pre turbo?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #672
TheStig
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alot of everything.

Lets shoot for a real fat curve!!!
-08 M3 DCT W/ Full Exhaust / Tune
-13 B8 Audi S4 APR Stage 2+
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #673
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

Shiv
I see your intention of showing us that you are supposedly anxious to get on the dyno soon. I'd assume this would be true, but at the same time, what assurance does anyone have that you will provide the same map to HPF for their single as you would your own? I realize that there are small differences between how the systems operate which will induce some differences, but when numbers come out, this is what people will speculate on. I'd like to see md5 hashes of the maps being used to know if we can compare 1:1 that, or the maps themselves in a password protected archive. In fact, you could and might as well post that part up right now for full transparency. Or to end this discussion, you have a single turbo map that you have customized and optimized all for your own where as hpf will be getting something a little bit different in terms of performance. At least there will be differences which could make the performance figures different that are map related.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #674
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post
I see your intention of showing us that you are supposedly anxious to get on the dyno soon. I'd assume this would be true, but at the same time, what assurance does anyone have that you will provide the same map to HPF for their single as you would your own? I realize that there are small differences between how the systems operate which will induce some differences, but when numbers come out, this is what people will speculate on. I'd like to see md5 hashes of the maps being used to know if we can compare 1:1 that, or the maps themselves in a password protected archive. In fact, you could and might as well post that part up right now for full transparency. Or to end this discussion, you have a single turbo map that you have customized and optimized all for your own where as hpf will be getting something a little bit different in terms of performance. At least there will be differences which could make the performance figures different that are map related.
This doesn't make any sense at all.

The implementations are different, so of course the maps will be different. What matters are AFRs, timing, boost, fuel params, etc., all of which play into making the most power with the biggest area under the curve. All those will be unique to each platform and car to optimize power.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #675
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidewayz View Post

The implementations are different, so of course the maps will be different. What matters are AFRs, timing, boost, fuel params, etc., all of which play into making the most power with the biggest area under the curve. All those will be unique to each platform and car to optimize power.
+1

doesn't matter what Shiv sends them...which i'm assuming is just the base single turbo map he has...because HPF is tuning it anyway to run optimally with their specific kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #676
CaptainInsano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post
Come on, seriously? This is HPF...

They have software that can display and modify the fuel maps. Any moron could open up the editor and do a comparison. Besides, you'll be able to get both maps and hash the files yourself once they are released.

Also, Shiv is MAKING MONEY on every kit HPF sells...

I don't really understand the point of the post you just made, but it seems designed to start trouble.

Please don't turn this thread into a ****fest, I just want to see HPF progress.

Like they wouldn't realize if the tune had been messed with.
      02-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #677
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Some of you guys crack me up
      02-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #678
Evooooo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 XI Sedan M Sport

blah blah blah.....numbers...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #679
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

Yeah, guys... The tune HPF got was just a map to get the car started. Shiv provided them with nothing in terms of tuning aside from maybe a suggestion or two. What do you think the point of the Dyno is?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #680
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidewayz View Post

My assumption is that shiv is doing the tuning for HPF considering that the procede will be controlling it. Shiv may be 'making money' on every hpf kit but they are still in competition. All of those stats you mention are no doubt connected to these maps that shiv is providing. I don't think its unreasonable at all to suspect there may be a little bit of extra tweaking done on shivs initial numbers compared to hpf's to insinuate a hardware superiority.

EDIT: If all the 'tuning' on the procede maps in fact are being done entirely in HPF's camp then I suppose there is little debate. I just don't want shiv to come out and say my numbers were higher with essentially the same base tune and have no proof of it. Whats wrong with transparency?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #681
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsano View Post
Besides, you'll be able to get both maps and hash the files yourself once they are released.
Exactly, these base maps aren't likely to be released, why would they be? Without seeing them before tweaks are made then we'll never know. I'm simply stating this: If terry@bms started a single project and did the tuning for the vishnu single tweaked his maps slightly for power and stated he had a hardware superiority by saying the maps were the same we wouldn't be any wiser. This would give an artificial feeling of superior hardware design by showing better numbers. I'm not saying that they would do this, but a customers purchase will come down to this in the end. Which kit is engineered better. To say you won't be analyzing these numbers to see which one performs better would be a lie.

EDIT: Another example. lets say HPF puts out untuned numbers. If shiv put out high numbers, which he states follow the same base map but how would we really know if it was or wasn't truly the same base map? If the maps aren't released then we'd never really know it. Just sayin. Its just way too easy to say, my timing looks better because my hardware is more efficient and doesn't pull as much timing as XYZ kit does at redline.

Also, I'm speaking of these INITIAL numbers. In the end when tuning is done, the story will tell itself, I'm merely speaking of these first impression dyno figures. We're all wondering whose kit will perform better. I am.

Last edited by klipseracer; 02-08-2012 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #682
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF 335i #1 View Post
Yeah, guys... The tune HPF got was just a map to get the car started. Shiv provided them with nothing in terms of tuning aside from maybe a suggestion or two. What do you think the point of the Dyno is?
+1
Appreciate 0