E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > What's your maintenance schedule routine now that you're past 4yrs/50k?

03-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

What's your maintenance schedule routine now that you're past 4yrs/50k?

This is the last month of my no-maintenance warranty thing and the computer's not showing that I need anything done. But my last oil change was done by BMW 7k miles ago so I'm going to at least do my own oil changes every 7k miles and changing my air and cabin filters too. I'm currently at 40k miles. Since there are no Inspection I and II services for the E90 (not that i know of?), what maintenance schedule should I be following?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

I'd recommend getting an end-of-warranty inspection from a good independent BMW shop. Probably cost an hour of labor, and well worth it. If they find anything that needs fixing, it'll be paid back immediately, and even if not, you'll have a good start on what needs doing when.

I'd also recommend getting the transmission fluid changed around 50K, if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. Don't get it done at the dealer, it will cost twice as much as you need to pay.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Get all your fluids changed

You need to go back to the old school maintenance scheduled . It sounds like your doing the right thing with the oil. There are a lot of articles on this if you search the boards and there is a guy on Roundel that has the info I'm not sure I think its Mike Miller or Mike Meyers. He has a big write up .
I think the oil changes at 7k and the old Inspections 1 at 15k Inspection 2 at 30k would keep you running a long while.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Oil every 10K, Brake fluid every 2 years. Coolant as needed based on the Ph reading. Air filter every 20-30K. Tranny fluid can go till 80-100K... though many change it sooner because it gives them a warm and fuzzy feeling. Keep your wheel lug nuts equally torqued, especially after visiting a tire shop. There is nothing worse than needing to replace perfectly fine rotors because they are bent because of badly torqued lug nuts.

All of this assumed you are not racing the car. By racing I don't mean stop light to stop light completion on who got the larger penis.
      03-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
Oil every 10K, Brake fluid every 2 years. Coolant as needed based on the Ph reading. Air filter every 20-30K. Tranny fluid can go till 80-100K... though many change it sooner because it gives them a warm and fuzzy feeling. Keep your wheel lug nuts equally torqued, especially after visiting a tire shop. There is nothing worse than needing to replace perfectly fine rotors because they are bent because of badly torqued lug nuts.

All of this assumed you are not racing the car. By racing I don't mean stop light to stop light completion on who got the larger penis.
+1

The most expensive components of your car are the engine and the transmission, so I would worry those two the most:

1) Oil change every 8k miles. Anything BMW approved LL04 should be sufficient (I recommend Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol Syntec). No need to get something extremely expensive or crazy if you're doing a change as often as I do.

2) ATF change every 50k miles. Just do a drain and fill. ZF themselves recommend doing that every 60k miles. Now, ATF change for our cars is very tricky. You must use the correct fluid, but it cannot be bought easily, and the BMW dealer only sells them in bulks.. the best way to get them is from a Land Rover dealer (part no. LRN13754)

Everything else.. coolant, differential oil, and power steering fluid.. I would say once every 100k miles. Brake fluids every 2 years. Air filter whenever it's visibly dirty enough that ventilation is blocked.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=595553
      03-16-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

great thanks for the links! i'm excited i get to do some of my own maintenance now

excellent advice on the end of warranty check from an independent dealer! going to schedule one tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
That would be a very informative link - if we owned E46s.
      03-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
no shit genious, you can follow most of it for e9x cars as the e46 is very simular on fluids belts etc... most of that are universal rules for all cars
kinda hard to complete a full maintenance plan on new cars

where i highlighted it says BMW not e46

Oil Change - Every 6,000-7,000 miles
Now you might ask, why? Why not 15,000 mile oil changes like BMW recommends? Fact is, most synthetic oils will last that long, however...your oil filter won't. It's made of paper and will fall apart and let harmful little yuckies into your engine...and that's no good. I stick with Mobil 1 oil 5w30. However, you can run anything from OEM BMW Oil, to Castrol, Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Redline. Just make sure it is SYNTHETIC. Use only OEM oil filters (part #: 11 42 7 512 300)

Spark Plugs - Every 50,000-60,000 miles
I know BMW says you can go 100,000 miles without changing the plugs...and you probably can...if you baby the hell out of your car. Chances are, if you're on this site, you don't. I've swapped out my plugs at 50,000 miles, and they were corroded to hell. Stick with OEM plugs, there's absolutely no reason to deviate from them because there's nothing else out there that will yield any sort of gain or advantage (please stay away from the gimmick Pulsestar plugs). OEM plugs are NGK Laser Platinums, available at any local auto parts store. They are the BKR6EQUP, and is stock #: 3199 in most auto part places. Make sure you get some anti-seize too.

Air Filter - Every 10,000 miles
If you have a conventional airbox, then replace the filter with an OEM one. If you have a foam/cotton filter, then clean it. This is one of the most basic things you can do to maintain the car, yet most people overlook it. Filters get crude on them real fast and not only restrict airflow, but lets crap get sucked into your engine. All pretty common sense.

Fuel Filter - Every 30,000 to 40,000 miles
These get clogged up and you end up losing power. In some cases, it might even cause difficulties at startup. It might be overkill to change every 30,000 but it's inexpensive, and keeps your car running well. Very neglected part. Buy OEM.

Valve Cover Gasket - Before 60,000 miles
The valve cover gasket on our cars is known to go bye bye and let precious oil seep out into the engine bay or even worse, your spark plugs. This will cause misfires and all sorts of problems. At the very first sign of leakage, I had it changed out. Reading around and talking to people, most have had it fail around 60,000 miles or so. If you're past that point and haven't done it yet, do yourself a favor and do it asap.

Belts/Pulleys - Every 50,000 miles (or as needed)
You would be surprised at how easily the belts on our cars come apart. It's not much to maintain, and can prevent a potential catastrophic event. As a rule of thumb, I inspect the belts every time I do an oil change. If they have any premature wear, they're getting swapped out. But every 50,000 miles, they go bye bye anyways. Pulleys generally aren't an issue, but listen at startup, if you hear a loud whistling/whining noise from the front of the car, chances are that you'll need a new tensioner pulley. No worries, they go bad all the time, usually run around 50,000 miles.

Coolant - Every 2 years, check levels monthly
I usually use OEM BMW coolant mixed 50/50 with water every two years. Keeps the cooling system fresh and free of corrosion. I do open up the radiator cap every month though and add water if necessary.

Water Pump - Before 100,000 miles
The water pump on our cars is prone to failure because BMW used a cheap plastic propeller. On the later cars, I believe they switched to metal, but I still wouldn't chance it. I've yet to do this personally, because I'm still only around 70,000 miles. However, when the time comes, I will be switching it out for a Stewart High-Flow Water Pump from Turner. Also a good time to check and change your coolant system hoses.

Power Steering Fluid - Every 50,000 miles
Very neglected, most people wouldn't even bother. In fact, I know people who have ran on the same fluid for over 100,000 miles. It may or may not make a difference, but it's very inexpensive to do, and why not give your baby some fresh fluid? Our cars take ATF fluid instead of Power Steering Fluid. I used the Royal Purple ATF, but Mobil 1 will do too. Don't get the cheap stuff, make sure it's Dextron III approved. I've read instances where people have gone over 200,000 miles on the original rack & pinion/power steering pump by changing their fluid on a regular basis. You can bleed it by opening up a line, but I just use the turkey baster technique.

Brake Fluid - Every year (or before an AutoX)
When I bled my brake system, the brake fluid was disgusting and completely black. I recommend using ATE Super Bluid. If you brake hard or just over time, your brake fluid gets cooked. That's why I do it every year or before any AutoX event. Stopping power is important.

Brakes - As needed
I check my brakes every so often and make sure they have life in them. Like I just mentioned, it is super important and must be taken care of. I check if there is a lip on the rotors, and see how much pad I have left by taking the wheel off and looking at the caliper. When it comes time to replace the brakes, make sure to change pads/rotors at the same time. Reason being, if you change one and not the other, you run the risk of destroying the new part. Lips on old rotors can tear up a pad, and pads worn down to the metal will destroy new rotors. It's common sense.

Differential Fluid - Every 30,000 miles
I use Redline 75w-90 every 30,000 miles. You will need a little under 2 quarts, so you'll need two bottles.

Transmission Fluid - Every 30,000 miles & before 60,000 miles
This is for Steptronic transmissions ONLY. I have an auto, so I can't speak for the manual trannies. BMW says this is lifetime fluid, but that's a crock of horsepoo. I changed my step fluid before 60,000 miles. Reason being, that seems to be the general consensus "threshold" for step tranny failure. There have been many reports of people going to change their auto tranny fluid after 60,000 miles, and having instant failure. The reason being, by that time, sludge has built up, and putting fresh fluid in it will dislodge it and cause the tranny to fail. Do it before 60,000 miles, and you should be ok. After that, every 30,000 miles should be good. Again, this might seem like over kill, but as sensitive as our auto trannies are, it cannot hurt. I recommend Redline fluids once again, and changing the transmission gasket while you're at it.
      03-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
no shit genious, you can follow most of it for e9x cars as the e46 is very simular on fluids belts etc... most of that are universal rules for all cars

"Oil Change - Every 6,000-7,000 miles
I stick with Mobil 1 oil 5w30. However, you can run anything from OEM BMW Oil, to Castrol, Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Redline. Just make sure it is SYNTHETIC."
BMW oil change intervals are talked about endlessly. This is just another person's opinion. BMW says to use LL-01 spec motor oil here in the States. Any other fluid is opinion.

"Spark Plugs - Every 50,000-60,000 miles."
Interval is Opinion. BMW states 47K spark plugs for N54. N52 is 100K miles.

"Air Filter - Every 10,000 miles"
Interval is Opinion. I believe BMW says it is every third oil change. Whereas, ~30K seems to best for my driving conditions.

"Fuel Filter - Every 30,000 to 40,000 miles"
E46 specific? Our fuel filter is in the tank. BMW doesn't have a change requirement. But it is gonna be expensive when it needs it.

"Valve Cover Gasket - Before 60,000 miles"
E46 specific

"Belts/Pulleys - Every 50,000 miles (or as needed)"
E46 specific. My dealer hasn't change a belt yet due to wear. Mine still looks good.

"Coolant - Every 2 years, check levels monthly"
Interval is Opinion. BMW used to say every 4 years. Now it is "lifetime"

"Water Pump - Before 100,000 miles"
E46 specific. Known E46 problem. Some said change as early 60K miles.
Earliest water pump failure that I have come across - so far - is 130K miles on our cars. No 100K mile radiator failures yet either - another E46 known issue

"Power Steering Fluid - Every 50,000 miles
Our cars take ATF fluid instead of Power Steering Fluid."
Interval is Opinion. And more importantly, incorrect fluid. Our cars use CHF 11s. BMW states lifetime, and warns against contaminating the fluid, which easily happens when people change the power steering fluid. BMW even goes to the trouble to tell the mechanics NOT to use a pour spout for prevention of contamination.

"Brake Fluid - Every year (or before an AutoX)"
Interval is Opinion. It is Two years. Even your car states this. Check the display.

"Brakes - As needed"
WOW. A statement so vague, even I will agree with it. Kinda of like stating that one should put in fuel when the gas tank is empty.

"Differential Fluid - Every 30,000 miles
I use Redline 75w-90 every 30,000 miles. You will need a little under 2 quarts, so you'll need two bottles."
Interval is Opinion. BMW says lifetime. 1 liter of Fluid for N52 engined cars, 1.2 liters for N54 and Diesels.

"Transmission Fluid - Every 30,000 miles & before 60,000 miles."
E46 specific fluids and interval opinion. For example, BMW says 100K, ZF says 60K for our 6 speed AT.

I hope you now understand why that link is about 90% ineffectual, non-factual, and inappropriate for our cars. Otherwise, shall I throw up my maintenance schedule for my 1996 Dodge 1-ton Diesel to see how relevant that is to a BMW E9x.? You did say maintenance schedules were mostly universal, correct?
      03-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

[QUOTE=CollinsE90;6926372]no shit genious, you can follow most of it for e9x cars as the e46 is very simular on fluids belts etc... most of that are universal rules for all cars

Oil Change - Every 6,000-7,000 miles
Now you might ask, why? Why not 15,000 mile oil changes like BMW recommends? Fact is, most synthetic oils will last that long, however...your oil filter won't.. It's made of paper and will fall apart and let harmful little yuckies into your engine...and that's no goodI stick with Mobil 1 oil 5w30. However, you can run anything from OEM BMW Oil, to Castrol, Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Redline. Just make sure it is SYNTHETIC. Use only OEM oil filters (part #: 11 42 7 512 300)

This statement is just utter bullshit. I've changed my oil at 17,000 mile intervals and the oil filter has been totally intact, dirty, but intact every change and with absolutely no sign of degredation. I've got 105K on my engine. I've changed the oil on my Wife's '97 Z3 at around 10,000 mile intervals, same thing, oil filter is totally intact. 140K on that car.

Stop feeding BS like this. There is no place for it. It's is totally false and not factual by any means.
Appreciate 0