E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure FAQ!

06-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #397
hjernazian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

just got a call from my SA. After initially stating the fuel pumps were on back order, he said they received a new shipment and they will be replacing the pump in my car with the model that ends in "933". I'm guessing this is new and a follow-up to the 943 model, but we shall see....
      06-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #398
hahaypy
Rep
Drives: Volvo S70

should i buy a pre-owned car that has been bought back by BMW because of the HPFP problem? I know it has the extended warranty and all, but it still worries me. and also if i do buy a car like that, am i still protected under the lemon law? that is if the same problem occurs can i ask bmw to buy this car back? thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #399
bk20627
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Good deal. As you can see, the tech followed the diagnostic tree--that is sensible. Hopefully you'll be good for now. If not, well, that's what warranty is for. What is maddening in the process is the reluctance of the SA to get you to the point where they will use the diagnostic tree.

Again, my car has been good for about a month. I drove in bumper to bumper traffic today in 95F temps, no issues. Sure, something will probably fail again in the future. That, I can accept, and is why I'm getting the 7/100 Gold. I just get angry when the dealership keeps the car all day and doesn't do anything with it. When they do fix it, I can live with it....
yup, hopefully im good for now.i was gonnna trade in but im going to lose lots of money and plus i still have warranty, so i will juss keep it until ......someday~^^

since they didn't replaced fuel pump, so i might be going to back to dealer later (maybe) caz i have 881 wutever number for the fuel pump. not the new part number with 949 something....

anyways~ our warranty 10yrs/100,000
      06-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #400
ALLLRIGHTYTHEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Silver 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjernazian View Post
just got a call from my SA. After initially stating the fuel pumps were on back order, he said they received a new shipment and they will be replacing the pump in my car with the model that ends in "933". I'm guessing this is new and a follow-up to the 943 model, but we shall see....
Yesterday, my local shop service manager contacted BMW NA and was given the green light to replace the HPFP in my '07 E90 (which I just recently purchased) with the new 933 model. Today, he is having it installed and I should be able to get the car back by lunch time. I'll update everyone.

I am hopeful that the new HPFP will be long lasting. The previous HPFP was produced in France and production has now moved back to Germany.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #401
ALLLRIGHTYTHEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Production location is not likely to have anything to do with the HPFP failures. They have been made in Germany in the past by Siemens and Bosch. Now they are being made by Siemens again though Siemens auto division was bought by Continental, so it's label as a Continental part but it's made by Siemens.

Take everything you are told by the dealer with a large grain of salt... BMW owners were told the last four generations of HPFP "corrected the HPFP failure problem". This has been the party line for four model years.
I hear ya. Trying to be optimistic though.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #402
ALLLRIGHTYTHEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just now got my car back from the dealer. They replaced the HPFP with the new model P/N 13-51-7-613-933. Paperwork says it was manufactured 5/11/2010. No long cranks..............................so far. Holding my breath that it will be fine..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #403
Zippy7575
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahaypy View Post
should i buy a pre-owned car that has been bought back by BMW because of the HPFP problem? I know it has the extended warranty and all, but it still worries me. and also if i do buy a car like that, am i still protected under the lemon law? that is if the same problem occurs can i ask bmw to buy this car back? thank you
Well, that's what I did. Got an '07 335i in perfect shape with 31k miles for $20,900. No problems so far but I know they're coming sooner or later. I figured with the now extended warranty on the fuel pump that was a chance I was willing to take.

I doubt you're protected under any lemon law if you knowingly buy a factory buyback. Buy a new one if you want that kind of protection. You won't get it for $21k though.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #404
ALLLRIGHTYTHEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7575 View Post
Well, that's what I did. Got an '07 335i in perfect shape with 31k miles for $20,900. No problems so far but I know they're coming sooner or later. I figured with the now extended warranty on the fuel pump that was a chance I was willing to take.

I doubt you're protected under any lemon law if you knowingly buy a factory buyback. Buy a new one if you want that kind of protection. You won't get it for $21k though.
Wow $21k. Awesome deal! I was no where close to that. I paid $28k CPO with 44k on it (I-Drive, Nav, Sports Package, Automatic, Premium Package, etc..)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #405
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by red335ic View Post
Wow $21k. Awesome deal! I was no where close to that. I paid $28k CPO with 44k on it (I-Drive, Nav, Sports Package, Automatic, Premium Package, etc..)
I saw a guy post 29k for a 2k7 cpo w/30k, that's my imaginary benchmark. So to compare it to your deal I'd ask if $1k is worth it to take 14k off.....for 20,900, that car has 19k of life left. After 50k it's a time bomb (turbos/injectors and you paid the same as a cpo but have 50k less warranty)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 02:28 AM   #406
Topless335
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E93 SpaceGray/Coral Red

Holding my breath...

I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my first BMW (CPO MY 08 335i Conv. 6MT). I have read this thread as well as others and my anxiety is double edged. On one hand I am thrilled of the prospect of driving a great car but yet on the other hand, I am scared of all the well documented issues with apparently a substantial number of these cars. In any case, I have a copy of the Carfax showing a clear history, as well as a date with the service department to request a service history report for the car. Are there readers out there that either own or know of 335's that have NOT experienced the problems that are being discussed? I would like to know if these problems are just a matter of time for all N54 engines or is it just some? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 06:48 AM   #407
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless335 View Post
I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my first BMW (CPO MY 08 335i Conv. 6MT). I have read this thread as well as others and my anxiety is double edged. On one hand I am thrilled of the prospect of driving a great car but yet on the other hand, I am scared of all the well documented issues with apparently a substantial number of these cars. In any case, I have a copy of the Carfax showing a clear history, as well as a date with the service department to request a service history report for the car. Are there readers out there that either own or know of 335's that have NOT experienced the problems that are being discussed? I would like to know if these problems are just a matter of time for all N54 engines or is it just some? Thanks!
My car was perfectly fine until last Fall when it started acting up randomly--that's about 34 mos. of driving fine. If I had traded it in and it were CPO, there's be no record of any troubles and the next owner would get a nice surprise of buying a car and not being able to go anywhere with it. It took about 5 mos. of going back to the dealership to fix it. So I don't think there's any magic formula to knowing which n54 is going to be trouble. When you think about it, why would anybody knowingly put themselves into a situation where they spend $$$ and can't even drive a car? Because they're fanboys, we all are to be here. There was even a guy who had 3 N54's and the latest brand new one quit on him. But this 943/933 pump may be the solution as nobody has seemed to report multiple failures once they got that pump...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #408
ALLLRIGHTYTHEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

The 335i is by far is the most awesome driving car I've owned. If you're buying a CPO, then you'll get excellent BMW service if anything goes wrong during the CPO period. Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #409
Stevx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
Are there readers out there that either own or know of 335's that have NOT experienced the problems that are being discussed? I would like to know if these problems are just a matter of time for all N54 engines or is it just some? Thanks!
I was wondering the same thing. I just picked up a CPOed '07 335i sedan. 38000 miles and original HPFP. I'm now at 41,000 miles and have not had an issue. Is there a thread somewhere where people report HPFP problem-free miles? You read so much about the widespread problems. Just curious about the cars with no HPFP issues, to the extent that any exist.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 03:44 AM   #410
hjernazian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

933 pump might be the one...

had it installed about a week ago and it's gravy. power delivery is so much more smooth, NEVER long cranks... I actually let the car sit for 2 days when I went on a mini-trip, and when I came back, started right up. I had driven around in my friends car when he got his pumps replaced before and it felt nothing of the sorts. Cross your fingers boys....
      06-07-2010, 04:31 AM   #411
HTran
Pi Epsilon Pi
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevx View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I just picked up a CPOed '07 335i sedan. 38000 miles and original HPFP. I'm now at 41,000 miles and have not had an issue. Is there a thread somewhere where people report HPFP problem-free miles? You read so much about the widespread problems. Just curious about the cars with no HPFP issues, to the extent that any exist.
Goodluck man, I just bought my a CPO 3 3 weeks ago as well and its in the dealership right now for a fuel pump. I had all the symptoms, and it was way annoying when it went into limp mode on the freeway. Hopefully this is the last time im bringing it in the dealer for my HPFP problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #412
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomFrenzy View Post
Goodluck man, I just bought my a CPO 3 3 weeks ago as well and its in the dealership right now for a fuel pump. I had all the symptoms, and it was way annoying when it went into limp mode on the freeway. Hopefully this is the last time im bringing it in the dealer for my HPFP problem.
Remember in the old days (like 5 years ago) when CPO meant that a car went through extensive testing, and only the best cars could be CPO, most were rejected? Isn't it interesting that you can pick up your CPO car and 3 weeks later it has a problem? Today, in reality, CPO is nothing more than an extended warranty, the dealership and BMW hope they make $$$$ off of it as they do the tire warranties, protection packages, extended maintenance...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #413
HTran
Pi Epsilon Pi
Rep

Quote:
Remember in the old days (like 5 years ago) when CPO meant that a car went through extensive testing, and only the best cars could be CPO, most were rejected? Isn't it interesting that you can pick up your CPO car and 3 weeks later it has a problem? Today, in reality, CPO is nothing more than an extended warranty, the dealership and BMW hope they make $$$$ off of it as they do the tire warranties, protection packages, extended maintenance...
yes sir, and what sucks is since my car is an 07, i technically only have 2 years or so left on the extended warrenty. Oh and its a $50 deposit everytime i bring it in for warrenty. LOL. Hopefully before the 2 years are up, the Germans fixed their fuel pump problems. It sucks that one of my dream cars which is suppose to be an "ultimate driving machine" turns out to be the Ultimate Driving Problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #414
Sparrow3493
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Hi everybody,
I just want to say thanks to everybody on this post, without all the information provided i would actually paid over a $1000 on getting the HPFP fixed. Mine just died on me at 75k and because of all your comments I decided to take it to a BMW dealership.
Though one thing i just got my car back and I realize that when I turn the car ON or OFF at the end it sounds like if something is loose, Is that Normal? I dont want to take it to the dealership and paid them $150 just so that can tell me is normal. Any comment on that would be appreciated.

Forgot to add that also the low pressure sensor was bad (dealership said that was the reason the HPFP blew) <--- HAHAHAaa =)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #415
HTran
Pi Epsilon Pi
Rep

Picked up my car today around 2:00Pm, SA said it was a software update> he doesnt know what fuel pump i have, nor what software they updated my car with but it was the most "updated" software. At 2:15pm on the freeway, the Check Engine Soon light came on, the car bogged and was in limp mode, I got off the freeway, the car died as it couldnt hold its normal idle. 2:30pm its back at the dealership. Great.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #416
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Picked up my car today around 2:00Pm, SA said it was a software update> he doesnt know what fuel pump i have, nor what software they updated my car with but it was the most "updated" software. At 2:15pm on the freeway, the Check Engine Soon light came on, the car bogged and was in limp mode, I got off the freeway, the car died as it couldnt hold its normal idle. 2:30pm its back at the dealership. Great.
That's unacceptable. Do you now have to pay another $50, or is it the same repair order? They should give you a loaner, and keep your car until it's fixed. Gotta love that he doesn't know what software, he could simply read the key and tell you...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #417
HTran
Pi Epsilon Pi
Rep

Quote:
That's unacceptable. Do you now have to pay another $50, or is it the same repair order? They should give you a loaner, and keep your car until it's fixed. Gotta love that he doesn't know what software, he could simply read the key and tell you...
No, it was actually $73.15 for the software update. Thank god i dont have to pay anything else since they will fix all of this. BMW Riverside is definitely the worse dealership out there, they couldnt even afford to own loaner cars for their customers. I made sure everyone around me knew i was flabbergasted that my car was not fixed. I was sitting in the client lounge studying for my damn chem final. Everyone stay away from Riverside, CA BMW dealership. Good luck to the rest of you, and I hope this doesnt occur to anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #418
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
The song remains the same. Read what I wrote on page 11 of this thread, post #s: 408 and 414.
Appreciate 0