E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Final stage 3 pics before it goes in

02-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #45
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Just an update. Worked all weekend. Trying to finish up today while doing a million other things. Pulled the LPFP back out of the tank and ran a Y on the parallel pump set up instead of a T, not sure why I even ran a T in the first place. Changed the plugged to one step colder NGK gapped at .022", all fluids are in, no leaks, the clutch line is leaking, and I need to address that so I can bleed the clutch and the we will fire. We are firing before putting the subframe in so we can check for any leaks. I updated once we fire it with in car pics, and the video. You cant see much though.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #46
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
Just an update. Worked all weekend. Trying to finish up today while doing a million other things. Pulled the LPFP back out of the tank and ran a Y on the parallel pump set up instead of a T, not sure why I even ran a T in the first place. Changed the plugged to one step colder NGK gapped at .022", all fluids are in, no leaks, the clutch line is leaking, and I need to address that so I can bleed the clutch and the we will fire. We are firing before putting the subframe in so we can check for any leaks. I updated once we fire it with in car pics, and the video. You cant see much though.
Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #47
drm916
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Awesome!
Cant wait to see how the intake is routed.

What turbos are these? Will this be sold as a hardware only kit? Since this tucks up in a similar to stock location... are all the accesories located in the same spot also?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #48
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm916 View Post
Tony said in earlier post that he's mounting filters directly on turbos, though there may need to be a short adapter pipe to allow installation of the filter for the rear turbo.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #49
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:

What turbos are these? Will this be sold as a hardware only kit? Since this tucks up in a similar to stock location... are all the accesories located in the same spot also?
Similar to stock location yes, water pump is relocated slightly forward, small things are changed. Its not a job for the timid. Its quite labor intensive. Double the install time of stockers and throw another 2 hours on top of that to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #50
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Approx. 25 hours to bolt up turbo hardware will be a substantial labor cost. Hopefully there was some install lessons learned or hardware modification concept improvements which allows that to be cut back about half when it goes into production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
Similar to stock location yes, water pump is relocated slightly forward, small things are changed. Its not a job for the timid. Its quite labor intensive. Double the install time of stockers and throw another 2 hours on top of that to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #51
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
Approx. 25 hours to bolt up turbo hardware will be a substantial labor cost. Hopefully there was some install lessons learned or hardware modification concept improvements which allows that to be cut back about half when it goes into production.
Obviously first time install took at least 10 hours longer then if I did it again. But everyone installing one it will prob be their first time installing and they will not have built the kit so its a wash. You are correct, there are small things that will change that will make the production kit easier to install. Not to mention I took detailed voice notes during install on the things I learned. Which when put into an instruction manual would have saved me 5-7 hours, but when you get something in this tight of a package expect an involved install. That's just the way it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #52
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech
Quote:
Obviously first time install took at least 10 hours longer then if I did it again. But everyone installing one it will prob be their first time installing and they will not have built the kit so its a wash. You are correct, there are small things that will change that will make the production kit easier to install. Not to mention I took detailed voice notes during install on the things I learned. Which when put into an instruction manual would have saved me 5-7 hours, but when you get something in this tight of a package expect an involved install. That's just the way it is.
People procrastinate too much on these boards - they act like its your first turbo kit lol

Thanks for the updates
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #53
n54door
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i 6AT FBO - MHD Tuned

Quote:
Says the competitor... saw that coming.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #54
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54door View Post
Says the competitor... saw that coming.
There is no ill will between Rob and Tony, their conversations over this board have always been technical and taken in the right respect, no one is competing when they chat, it is just two individuals sharing some great knowledge, don't interpret it in a negative way

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #55
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Dmacc. Thanks. Can't even generalize sometimes on these boards without it being a conspiracy. It's no wonder most just stay away and members wonder why. I don't even have a competitive product with this kit. I do know how it goes though with first installs on new products, and figured there could be much improvement made on what I had thought I read.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #56
drm916
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
There is no ill will between Rob and Tony, their conversations over this board have always been technical and taken in the right respect, no one is competing when they chat, it is just two individuals sharing some great knowledge, don't interpret it in a negative way
Thats what I was thinking..They seem to have a friendly relationship.

RB was just pointing out if it did indeed take 25 hours for every install then it becomes very cost prohibitive.

I am sure the install time will come down once there are some instructions and modifications made to the production parts.

I love the idea of GT series turbos in there.

What kind of numbers are going to be expected?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #57
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking..They seem to have a friendly relationship.

RB was just pointing out if it did indeed take 25 hours for every install then it becomes very cost prohibitive.

I am sure the install time will come down once there are some instructions and modifications made to the production parts.

I love the idea of GT series turbos in there.

What kind of numbers are going to be expected?
Honestly, the power potential is pretty huge running twin GTx28s. Here's a comparo of the GTx28 to the old GT28(Not sure what wheels tony is running on the protoype.)
      02-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #58
drm916
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have run a 28r, a 28rs (disco potatoe), a 2871 and a 3071 on my VWs. Those 3 different gt28 turbos made very different power for me. The GTx series I never ran.

This is shaping up to be very cool indeed. I cant wait to see pricing, options and availability
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #59
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

After looking at this and how your progression is on this platform, I might have to sell the RB's and get these stage 3's.... Really curious at how much these suckers are going to make and how the car reacts to it... meaning drive-ability, how much power and torque they are going to be able to put down with supporting mods of course, how the power and torque curve look on the dyno, and just overall if they are going to be Daily Driver use-ability... From the looks though, you guys really know what you are doing and I am sure not going to be the last to say, Congrats and look forward to hopefully doing some business with you guys in the future
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0