E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > GETTING A 335i! NEED SOME QUICK ADVICE PLX!

03-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey

GETTING A 335i! NEED SOME QUICK ADVICE PLX!

Hi everyone,

soon i will be joining u guys in this week. and here are some info the 335i im getting.
here is the link of the advert.
http://www.sytner.co.uk/search/bmw-3...le&vhl=-101123

***This car had 2 owners from new, they both used that "part exchange" scheme to get another 335i according to the saleman i spoke to

is there anything to worry about getting it? I have heard that turbo can go wrong in higher miles is that correct?

1) what are the things to have in mind when buying this car? what are the concerns? e.g. turbos?

2) is this a good price?

3) is sytner any good?

4) is 50000 miles on the clock a concern?

5) it doesnt say its electrically folding mirror, but is it?

hope someone can clarify me and hopefull i will get it by wed and wish me luck !

Thanks very much,
Barton

p.s. since its a bmw dealer that its selling, so i think i do not have to worry? esp about its service etc?

Last edited by barton2002; 03-01-2010 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: additional info
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by barton2002 View Post
Hi everyone,

soon i will be joining u guys in this week. and here are some info the 335i im getting.

***This car had 2 owners from new, they both used that "part exchange" scheme to get another 335i according to the saleman i spoke to

is there anything to worry about getting it? I have heard that turbo can go wrong in higher miles is that correct?

1) what are the things to have in mind when buying this car? what are the concerns? e.g. turbos?

2) is this a good price?

3) is sytner any good?

hope someone can clarify me and hopefull i will get it by wed and wish me luck !

Thanks very much,
Barton

p.s. since its a bmw dealer that its selling, so i think i do not have to worry? esp about its service etc?
Car looks in great condition from the pics but that's a given.

When you go to see it check for bonnet marks, I think it is a good price (may be able to get a few bob knocked off if you haggled). Sytner is good. The mileage is not of concern but you will need to make sure everything has been stamped and check the history of the car, all of which Sytner should give you. Electric folding mirrors is an option and if it's not stated then I doubt it will have it.

Nice one. you can look forward to modding her up starting with a remap if inclined
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

but funny enough it has got all the auto dimming rear view full electrical seats with memory etc but it doesnt have electric folding mirror? that will hold me back for buying this car....
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
but funny enough it has got all the auto dimming rear view full electrical seats with memory etc but it doesnt have electric folding mirror? that will hold me back for buying this car....
Really?? Why do they matter to you so much??

Never understood the appeal of folding mirrors though they look cool I admit when parked up...as a hinge point in buying that car, I'm not sure....
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Sytner have a 320i with folding mirrors, could be a goer?
      03-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

lol, i know u will find me weird haha. but the reason is the 5er i have now do not have a electrical folding mirror which every single time i need to fold them, i have to walk around and look pretty silly. so for that reason i have been begging for a pair of electrical folding mirror.

but this car has a good price and all the specs are good like it has got follow me home headlights which i like alot. so probably even if it doesnt have the folding mirrors, i might still get it.

do you guys think it looks good with alpine white and red leather inside?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Matt2008
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
do you guys think it looks good with alpine white and red leather inside?
Looks the dogs - its what i have
      03-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

personally I would go for the 335d that they have same price only 30000 miles and folding mirrors ,ok its an SE but still a fab car and a better colour , white is so yesterday now .
      03-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Think the car has a decent spec. and if you like white then yes, the red goes well with it.

As for mileage surely it's not that high on a modern engine that's been serviced regularly and depends how many miles you intend doing p.a. Make sure you get a full BMW extended warranty (if it isn't already in the deal).

Problems with the engine, read this thread on here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355826

That is NOT to say this car would have those problems, you could even argue that by that mileage any such problems have been ironed out?

I researched the S5 before buying one and lo and behold there is a potential fault with the clutch thrust bearing. Knowing all this when I went out test driving various S5's I found one with the potential problem ie. clutch biting at the beginning and third gear being graty. One I bought certainly didn't and hasn't got that problem but even if it developed (unlikely as it's now done 36k) Audi are sorting it all out under warranty so no problem. Again this is a fault that doesn't affect ALL cars and didn't stop me buying one as I knew in the event it did occur, I was covered.

Like you I really like electric folding mirrors and would miss them but have bought a car without them as it wasn't a deal breaker when I looked at the grand scheme of things.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Think the car has a decent spec. and if you like white then yes, the red goes well with it.

As for mileage surely it's not that high on a modern engine that's been serviced regularly and depends how many miles you intend doing p.a. Make sure you get a full BMW extended warranty (if it isn't already in the deal).

Problems with the engine, read this thread on here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355826

That is NOT to say this car would have those problems, you could even argue that by that mileage any such problems have been ironed out?

I researched the S5 before buying one and lo and behold there is a potential fault with the clutch thrust bearing. Knowing all this when I went out test driving various S5's I found one with the potential problem ie. clutch biting at the beginning and third gear being graty. One I bought certainly didn't and hasn't got that problem but even if it developed (unlikely as it's now done 36k) Audi are sorting it all out under warranty so no problem. Again this is a fault that doesn't affect ALL cars and didn't stop me buying one as I knew in the event it did occur, I was covered.

Like you I really like electric folding mirrors and would miss them but have bought a car without them as it wasn't a deal breaker when I looked at the grand scheme of things.
what do you mean by the grand scheme of things?

i think that this car doesnt have a elec folding mirror...sadly...!!! i checked it by comparing it with some higher priced model, which some of them does say elec folding mirror in the additional features section. honestly, im a bit let down by the fact that it doesnt have the elec folding function!!!

ANYWAY, so overall this car has a decent spec and price is ok. The outlook white with red looks quite good too. so are we all agreed that i should go for this car. but accepting the fact that it doesnt have elec folding MIRRORs!!!! OUCH!

I got one more question, what choices are there to extend the 1yr BMW warranty which is already given by buying that car from Sytner? and how much would it be?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
what do you mean by the grand scheme of things?
The overall package on offer. In other words if the car ticks all the right boxes for the vast majority of your 'wants' then why pass it over for a lack of electric folding mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

i like ur point beemerbird. Just wondering how u find ur s5? have u driven a 335i before? whats the difference would u say?

i love s5 too! shes sooo beautiful. how much did u get it for if i may ask.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
You can retrofit folding mirrors I believe, at a price.
      03-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #14
A335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Hi

some responses to your questions from my understanding of the car.

1) I have not really heard of anything regarding the turbo's being an issue even on the higher mileage stock cars, this therefore shouldn't be a concern.

2)concerns of the car, yours has the 225m alloys and known to crack. Few people here failed mot due to cracked alloys. BMW have discontinued the 225m thus could be a problem to find replacement in the future.

There have been several known technical problems with this car, i.e HPFP failures and other technical issues. A few people have been unlucky with the car as many things have continually failed. Be sure to discuss this with the dealer as you will be the third owner of the car and ask all the things that have been done to the car under warranty work.

I have had to take my car to the dealers a few times for warranty work and in some instances they have openly admitted that they don't actually know what the problem is, just updated the software and hoped that this has resolved the issue and told me to come back if the problem occurs again.

3) Sytner are pretty good, however, just because it's a dealer doesn't automatically mean that everything is fine because people refer to these places as stealers for a reason and you don't earn that reputation for being 100% genuine and up front. I.E you could ask the dealer directly what is the common known problems and faults with these car (especially the older models), if they say nothing really, then their bullshi$$$.

4)Price wise I think it's fair, not really a bargain, you're getting a 3 year old car, which has done over 50k miles for 24k, so possible room to haggle the price a little, especially due to the mileage.

5) If you want to know about the electrical fold mirrors, can't tell really unless you ask them directly as this is an isolated option.

All in all this is a fantastic car and I seriously doubt you will get anything that looks and performs better for your money, especially alpine white with red leather. With a remap, if you decide, you've got a car that can compete with the M3 from rolling straight line acceleration and virtually any other car in all honesty, unless your willing to go well over into 3 figure speeds. Even, without a remap you’ve got an exceptionally fast road car.

Also to note ask about the extended warranty from BMW if still applicable. For me it came to something like 32-34 pounds per month, excluding the recovery service, so well worth it.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

2) is this a good price?

3) is sytner any good?

Thanks very much,
Barton

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #15
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i like ur point beemerbird. Just wondering how u find ur s5? have u driven a 335i before? whats the difference would u say?

i love s5 too! shes sooo beautiful. how much did u get it for if i may ask.
I have grown pretty fond of the S5 actually and no I haven't driven a 335i before although I have owned an E92 335d SE which was a cracking car.

Don't feel I can say what the difference is between the 335i and the S5 tbh having not driven the beemer but I know they have good tuning potential lol. The 335i is also better on fuel.

I test drove the M3. I wanted the AWD as my last Porsche had it and I like the V8 engines and the S5 is quite torquey for a N/A engine. I'm also interested in the forthcoming RS5.

You can get an '07 S5 with the same spec. and mileage as mine for around £31-32k from a main Audi dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #16
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
personally I would go for the 335d that they have same price only 30000 miles and folding mirrors ,ok its an SE but still a fab car and a better colour , white is so yesterday now .
If in Leicester looking at that one, this one's only 10 miles down the road - had a nose round it on Saturday, looks

http://www.swancar.com/used-car-sale...BO-DIESEL.html
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #17
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

also, that car in the picture doesnt have a no. plate on it, will it come with a number plate? because im selling my car privately so i wont get a number plate. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #18
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

phil, thanks for recommending that to me, but honestly, im not a big fan of diesel car after driving my 5er diesel.... and i found myself to be more of a petrol head! lol, perhaps im affected by jeremy clarkson.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 06:04 AM   #19
SCN_Saul
http://www.seatcupra.net
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

you can ring 0906 209 0001 which is bmw's info line (beware £1 a minute)

give them the reg number and they will tell you the full spec of the car and the dates of its visits to a dealership
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #20
RiCh
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
also, that car in the picture doesnt have a no. plate on it, will it come with a number plate? because im selling my car privately so i wont get a number plate. lol
Yes it should come with one when you buy it. The previous owner probably had their own private plate on it and removed it before trading it in to the dealer.
Appreciate 0