E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 Climate Problem fan on only in defrost, no other modes

03-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Salle071
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi Touring

E90 Climate Problem fan on only in defrost, no other modes

Weird problem, I haven't driven my 06' 330i for five days, it was really cold (around -35C). Started the car today and left it warming up, when I got in it was idling as warm, but cabin had no heat. Panel works and is calling for full fan power. But the fan is not blowing. When I press chose windshield defrost fan blows high and can be adjusted. No other settings seem to work, i.e. I can change all settings as normal but fan won't blow. If I change temperature the fan power bars will change asking for higher or lower speed, but fan is not blowing. It did indicate low battery voltage when I shut it off, so I put charger on right now. Will check later. Has anyone had this problem? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
pracklam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 325i

I think you will find the problem is a dying battery rather than a bad fan or relay. When low battery charge is detected, certain high current demand devices such as rear window defroster, seat heaters, and blower start shutting down. When I started to get yellow battery warning lights, my rear defroster quit working and blower speed would not go faster than 3rd bar speed even when set on highest bar. The shutdowns seem to be sporadic. For example, sometimes the rear defroster would work and sometimes it would not. Same with blower. I suppose when battery got charged while driving, devices would become enabled until next time computer detected low battery. When replacing battery, remember to reset the battery adaptation in the computer. Indy shop can perform this for around $50 if you don't have OBD II cable and software.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Is the fan on and just very low, or just completely off?
On very cold mornings, if I have the hvac set to auto, the fan will stay very low till the temperature of the car/coolant is high enough to warm up the a/c air. This to prevent freezing air from blowing in your face/feet. This seems to take a lot longer when the car is sitting in the garage, vs driving it.
At that temperature that you are at, I wouldnt be surprised if it took even longer.
Appreciate 0