E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Terrible Experience at European Autobody

06-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
dilankk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93 AW/CR

Thumbs down Terrible Experience at European Autobody

Experience with European Autobody... absolutely terrible.. Lots of money terrible results... Bought some M3 rep side-skirts from extremeparts went to European to get them painted and installed was quoted over $700 but they decided to do a cash deal of $600. This included over $85 of clips and hardware that Nick Bastias said is "absolutely required". I agreed thinking they knew what they were doing. Nick had given the following conditions: They aren't responsible for peeling due to primer, and they can't guarantee fitment due to aftermarket parts. Understandable. My fault should have gotten them to test fit first but I thought they were a reputable shop (fail)

Monday went in for install, they couldn't fit them and cracked the paint on the passenger side skirt while trying to force it on (Fender bolts were in the way). They put back the stock skirts and said I still had to pay, so I did. I asked them to refinish the sideskirt they cracked the paint on during installation and they argued saying I'd have to pay more $120 (due to their ignorance? yeah right!) Also, they had used 0 new hardware and clips everything was old.

Went to Rich at Luxury Auto Body as my friend abhishriv got his new bumper painted there and referred me. All I can say is absolute great guy and very honest and he knows what he is doing. Spent a decent amount of his time and helped me fit on the one driver side skirt I still had no problem. I offered to pay and he didn't even charge me.

Went back to European to pick up the other skirt today and kindly mentioned that I had been charged for clips and hardware they didn't even provide (nor planned on using for the install) They decided to tell me off saying I was nickle and diming and they had already given me the deal at $600 cash. Emilio who is the owner basically said "give him the clips, fuck it I don't care" So I have a few bags of useless plastic clips.

Will be going to Rich to get my other sideskirt fitted on Wednesday and will without a second thought trust him to do any work required from here on in. Luxury Auto Body is a great shop and worth the wait as he is a busy guy. Thank that man for restoring my faith in humanity and businesses.

Sorry for the long post but I would advise people to stay away from european autobody, I will never go back to them again for any work whatsoever. (Also, the paint is already flaking at the bottom of the skirts and Rich said they didn't bother to prep it properly)

/Rant

Update:

Got a call today from Manny at European. He heard about the situation and how it all went down and told me he felt really bad about the whole situation and how it was handled. Told me to bring the car back and got me a rental too. It took some convincing to go back but he sounded like he wanted to legitimately resolve the issue. He offered to fix the flaking/peeling paint on the skirts and also put on my trunk spoiler for me.

Now, just waiting till Wednesday to get the car back and hope the other side skirt is on and I don't have any issues. My sister's wedding is this weekend and my car is supposed to be her ride :|

Stay tuned...

Update 2:
In the end Manny at European made the effort and set everything straight. Side skirts are on and he also installed my trunk spoiler and alcantara steering wheel trim. I had ordered it from maranello and it turned out it was missing the multifunction button cutouts, so he even set that straight for me by getting the right part swapped. Manny is a stand up guy and I am glad we got to work this all out. In the future I would rather deal with him directly and I'm sure the experience would be better.

Last edited by dilankk; 06-30-2014 at 02:39 AM.. Reason: updated situation
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Had my oem aero lip painted at European too. Paint started peeling on the bottom after a few months. I think they are over-rated .
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
dilankk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Had my oem aero lip painted at European too. Paint started peeling on the bottom after a few months. I think they are over-rated .
Exact same thing happened to me on my aero lip when I had my coupe. It was an OEM lip from BMW also. They blamed the primer of course.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
kstylez
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i, Volvo s80 4.4 v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilankk
Experience with European Autobody... absolutely terrible.. Lots of money terrible results... Bought some M3 rep side-skirts from extremeparts went to European to get them painted and installed was quoted over $700 but they decided to do a cash deal of $600. This included over $85 of clips and hardware that Nick Bastias said is "absolutely required". I agreed thinking they knew what they were doing. Nick had given the following conditions: They aren't responsible for peeling due to primer, and they can't guarantee fitment due to aftermarket parts. Understandable. My fault should have gotten them to test fit first but I thought they were a reputable shop (fail)

Monday went in for install, they couldn't fit them and cracked the paint on the passenger side skirt while trying to force it on (Fender bolts were in the way). They put back the stock skirts and said I still had to pay, so I did. I asked them to refinish the sideskirt they cracked the paint on during installation and they argued saying I'd have to pay more $120 (due to their ignorance? yeah right!) Also, they had used 0 new hardware and clips everything was old.

Went to Rich at Luxury Auto Body as my friend abhishriv got his new bumper painted there and referred me. All I can say is absolute great guy and very honest and he knows what he is doing. Spent a decent amount of his time and helped me fit on the one driver side skirt I still had no problem. I offered to pay and he didn't even charge me.

Went back to European to pick up the other skirt today and kindly mentioned that I had been charged for clips and hardware they didn't even provide (nor planned on using for the install) They decided to tell me off saying I was nickle and diming and they had already given me the deal at $600 cash. Emilio who is the owner basically said "give him the clips, fuck it I don't care" So I have a few bags of useless plastic clips.

Will be going to Rich to get my other sideskirt fitted on Wednesday and will without a second thought trust him to do any work required from here on in. Luxury Auto Body is a great shop and worth the wait as he is a busy guy. Thank that man for restoring my faith in humanity and businesses.

Sorry for the long post but I would advise people to stay away from european autobody, I will never go back to them again for any work whatsoever. (Also, the paint is already flaking at the bottom of the skirts and Rich said they didn't bother to prep it properly)

/Rant
Sorry to hear that happened i was going to get them to paint front fenders and install but nvm.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
Shoooter_j
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335

Got my replica aero lip painted with rich @ luxury last yr. Proper job = held up well esp through winter. Also a great, honest guy to deal with and installed it at no charge.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Lol, European sux balls, sorry, rich at lux auto body is amazing.
I have a shop on the same street as both of them and believe me i know what's good.
My shop is on Chauncey as well, and all my families cars goes to lux auto body, aka Richard. For a reason, his shop, rep, dad, etc, has been around forever, altech our fav alignment shop sends cars to him, bimmersport, sends cars to him, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #7
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

I've never actually been to European body shop but I was quoted 1300-1500 plus tax to repaint the hood of my 328. Sure they said that it had to be blended with the fenders but still 1300-1500 plus tax is crazy to just repaint the hood ( no bodywork needed to be done)

I also heard that they do not re prime bumpers before they paint them . Apparently most aftermarket bumpers come prime from factory but you are supposed to re prime them and put fresh paint on top so it bonds better ( it prevents peeling)...

For what they charge , they should not be skipping steps.

I use Prochilo brothers, they do all the work for bmw of toronto and they are pretty good on price. I still havent had a bad experience there. Looking to get M tech package next year and have them install it
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
redfox
INSTAGRAM: @yaasplease
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4

You can't use EAB for aftermarket work, they suck at it. They only do a great job for factory work.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #9
EPOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

For those in the east end Philada does body work for town and country they do great work and he stands by his work.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #10
dilankk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
I've never actually been to European body shop but I was quoted 1300-1500 plus tax to repaint the hood of my 328. Sure they said that it had to be blended with the fenders but still 1300-1500 plus tax is crazy to just repaint the hood ( no bodywork needed to be done)

I also heard that they do not re prime bumpers before they paint them . Apparently most aftermarket bumpers come prime from factory but you are supposed to re prime them and put fresh paint on top so it bonds better ( it prevents peeling)...

For what they charge , they should not be skipping steps.

I use Prochilo brothers, they do all the work for bmw of toronto and they are pretty good on price. I still havent had a bad experience there. Looking to get M tech package next year and have them install it
It's not so much about the cost, more so the dishonesty, lack of effort, and crappy job. Inflating costs for profit, that's unacceptable.
Even for OEM lip started peeling for me and another member above. I agree with you they should not be skipping steps for the price. They don't prep the parts at all before painting and it shows. I'll post some pics of the skirt I got that they "re-sprayed" after cracking the paint, the bottom was already chipping before I even took possession.

European Autobody are an absolute joke. Rich at LAB on the other hand helped me out and fixed a problem that wasn't even his, that says something right there. While on the other hand EAB whom I paid were arguing and swearing.. Again, just posting my personal experience for awareness, they may do a good job here and there, I'm sure there are satisfied customers, but true character only shows in times of conflict.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
dulak
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Montego Blue

I have only used European Autobody once for an insurance claim. They had to redo my rear bumper on my E46. The paint did not match and there were runs on the right side of the rear bumper by the quarter panel.

I brought it to their attention and was basically told to bring it in again. They fixed the runs, however the paint again did not match. At which point, I advised insurance and the shop how disappointed I was with their quality of work. Safe to say European didn't bother to fix it and said the paint couldn't be matched (silver).

With my E92, I took my front lip to Luxury after having it crack when bottoming out on a dip in the road. Rich was able to fix the lip and matched the paint perfectly. At some point my side skirt was gouged and needed repairing, Luxury had mismatched the paint of the skirt with the car on the repaint. When I took it back, they noticed it right away, repainted and reinstalled it after getting a perfect match. Rich was great about it and didn't charge extra for anything. My E92 is Montego Blue and extremely hard to paint match. I'd recommend Luxury Autobody without any hesitation.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
dilankk
Private First Class
Rep

Update:

Got a call today from Manny at European. He heard about the situation and how it all went down and told me he felt really bad about the whole situation and how it was handled. Told me to bring the car back and got me a rental too. It took some convincing for me to go back but he sounded like he wanted to legitimately resolve the issue. He offered to fix the flaking/peeling paint on the skirts and also put on my trunk spoiler for me.

Now, just waiting till Wednesday to get the car back and hope the other side skirt is on and I don't have any issues. My sister's wedding is this weekend and my car is supposed to be her ride there :|

Stay tuned...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #13
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 xdrive & 2015 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilankk View Post
Update:

Got a call today from Manny at European. He heard about the situation and how it all went down and told me he felt really bad about the whole situation and how it was handled. Told me to bring the car back and got me a rental too. It took some convincing for me to go back but he sounded like he wanted to legitimately resolve the issue. He offered to fix the flaking/peeling paint on the skirts and also put on my trunk spoiler for me.

Now, just waiting till Wednesday to get the car back and hope the other side skirt is on and I don't have any issues. My sister's wedding is this weekend and my car is supposed to be her ride there :|

Stay tuned...
Interested to hear if this is the first time Manny got involved. He was good in my dealings with him the two times I had work done there.

I was disappointed though that when my M3 rep side skirts didn't quite fit (98% perfect), as an expert body shop, they didn't provide options to make it fit, and instead just said it doesn't quite fit. I would expected they could have drilled into the frame or created new holes in the side skirt to fix the small bowing to be flush with the door.

Hope it all gets resolved.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #14
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilankk View Post
Update:

Stay tuned...
so I m pretty sure he reads this forum . Great

For what they charge they should be exceeding customers expectations and not skipping steps.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #15
Turbo Tinkerer
Private
Rep
Drives: N54

Manny is the only decent guy to deal with at European AB. I was told by Manny straight up once that if I don't pay for his specific primer the paint wouldn't be warrantied and would probably peel.

A couple of my friends have gone to LAB and rave about the customer service.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:32 PM   #16
Shoooter_j
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
Lol, European sux balls, sorry, rich at lux auto body is amazing.
I have a shop on the same street as both of them and believe me i know what's good.
My shop is on Chauncey as well, and all my families cars goes to lux auto body, aka Richard. For a reason, his shop, rep, dad, etc, has been around forever, altech our fav alignment shop sends cars to him, bimmersport, sends cars to him, etc.
Funny you mention Altech...the next day after I got the lip, scheduled an alignment with Pat then walked my lip down to LAB. Got some funny looks on the way
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 02:39 AM   #17
dilankk
Private First Class
Rep

In the end Manny at European made the effort and set everything straight. Side skirts are on and he also installed my trunk spoiler and alcantara steering wheel trim. I had ordered it from maranello and it turned out it was missing the multifunction button cutouts, so he even set that straight for me by getting the right part swapped. Manny is a stand up guy and I am glad we got to work this all out. In the future I would rather deal with him directly and I'm sure the experience would be better.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #18
xcyx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

whoa dk what a mission!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #19
Z06Driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW E92, MG F32 440i

I've been to EAB as well and Manny is a decent guy but I will not return to them in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #20
e90mbition
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06Driver View Post
I've been to EAB as well and Manny is a decent guy but I will not return to them in the future.
Care to tell us why?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #21
///Machiavelli
Big Mac
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY16 F80

Garage List
I just wrote a long post describing my experiences, but rather than get into the details it'll suffice to say I'm of the exact same opinion as Z06Driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #22
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger SRT 392

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06Driver View Post
Well i do understand you. They did a good job replacing and painting my rear bumper BUT they didn't fix the wheelhouse liner which one of the plastic support broke when the bumper was compressed on the hit. They didn't put the both taillights covers on and the light switch was also pressed in. For me that shows that they rush and there was lack of professionalism. Also manny took pics of the liner thing to send back to the insurance and told me that he would call me the next day to let me know if they got it and that the guy from the insurance would call me. I could've call him about that but that was his job since he got paid for the service and very well i might say so you know what I'm not going to call crying because of the liner, i can do it myself on my spare time. They did a good job yes, but I'm not going back, theres a lot more good body shops around I'm sure.
Appreciate 0