E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni FSDs/eibachs or ST coilovers?

09-18-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
ace008
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Koni FSDs/eibachs or ST coilovers?

I just installed a JB3 and now I am planning to do some suspension work to compensate for the added power. The car is my daily driver and I commute 60 miles a day. Before adding the JB3, the car felt more balanced and nimble. Now if I drive it hard, it seems like the suspension cannot keep up. There is alot of nose dive when braking, and lift when accelerating. Also, I would like to reduce the body roll when changing lanes and taking turns. I was pretty set on getting Koni FSDs with eibach springs since the FSDs can take bumps well and offer decent handling. I've also read that people with that setup have issues bottoming out as the FSDs were designed for stock sport spings. What would be the advantage in getting the Eibach springs? Also, for that price, it comes very close to getting some suspension techniques coilovers. Anyone have experience with those or the KWv1s? Would the coilover setup still ride smoothly and do they perform better than the Konis? I was thinking about doing sway bars too, but after reading the thread on "Lets talk about sways", it seems like there will be a false feeling of being more planted and more wheel spin. What to do?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 02:11 AM   #2
camaross305
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I've been in the same boat as u. I didn't want my ride effected much but wanted better handling. I was very close to getting the eibach fsd setup. Actually ordered it then had second thoughts and cancelled. Big factor for me was being able to adjust my ride height and I wished the eibach combo had a slightly lower drop. From what I read the kw v2's are slightly harsher than stock. If you want better handling then hands down coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 02:26 AM   #3
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Hi Ace, I live in the city and considering a JB3...I have the ST coilovers on my car and love them, even in the city. They ride EXACTLY like the V1's but lack the stainless sleeves, which is not needed for us here where corrosion is not an issue like on the eastcoast or wherever they salt the roads.

If you can drive a manual, I would be happy to offer you a test drive of my ST E92 for perhaps a drive in your JB3 car...PM if interested, I live on the Haight.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

the eibach pro kit sits pretty darn low if you ask me...

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
camaross305
Rep

yea i dunno i guess its hit or miss.....some pics i see the eibach is a perfect drop and others it barely looks like it lowered. I guess it has to do with the shock selection
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
ace008
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
mwahlert, how do u like your setup? Any issues with the shocks bottoming out or rubbing? Did it improve the handling over the stock ones?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
camaross305
Rep

From what ive read of other members reviews on the eibach/fsd combo the ride quality is amazing. But not as big of an improvement as far as handling goes compared to coilovers
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

well - i originally installed KW v1s (which i'm selling) and am now running the fsd/prokit combo. the car handled VERY well on the v1's but the ride was a tad too stiff for my taste/daily commute. the fsd/prokit is far more comfortable but doesn't control body motions over bumps as well as the v1s did. i have often considered going back to the v1s but the fsd/prokit combo does offer a nice comfortable ride for day in day out use. every suspension system has pros/cons. its about finding the system whose compromises you can deal with.

once i sell the v1s i will consider trying a third system (possibly the kw street comfort coilovers). the prokit sits a bit too low for my taste, and miss the ability to adjust the height right where i want it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace008 View Post
I just installed a JB3 and now I am planning to do some suspension work to compensate for the added power. The car is my daily driver and I commute 60 miles a day. Before adding the JB3, the car felt more balanced and nimble. Now if I drive it hard, it seems like the suspension cannot keep up. There is alot of nose dive when braking, and lift when accelerating. Also, I would like to reduce the body roll when changing lanes and taking turns. I was pretty set on getting Koni FSDs with eibach springs since the FSDs can take bumps well and offer decent handling. I've also read that people with that setup have issues bottoming out as the FSDs were designed for stock sport spings. What would be the advantage in getting the Eibach springs? Also, for that price, it comes very close to getting some suspension techniques coilovers. Anyone have experience with those or the KWv1s? Would the coilover setup still ride smoothly and do they perform better than the Konis? I was thinking about doing sway bars too, but after reading the thread on "Lets talk about sways", it seems like there will be a false feeling of being more planted and more wheel spin. What to do?
Coilovers are your best bet. You need the KW V1s if you drive your car on the streets only, even if it's spirited. They have a great droprate and they feel like the stock sport suspension but slightly stiffer.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
ocinek
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by James************ View Post
Coilovers are your best bet. You need the KW V1s if you drive your car on the streets only, even if it's spirited. They have a great droprate and they feel like the stock sport suspension but slightly stiffer.
James,
Could I get the spring rates for KW V1 E82 coilovers ?
I want to make absolutely sure that I eliminate the terrible nose dive under braking.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #11
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

It really depends on what sort of ride quality you prefer. The FSDs are going to be the smoothest and most compliant available and what I prefer for a setup that is sportier and firmer than stock but does not ruin the factory ride.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
Josephkao
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

I just put Koni Fsd on, the ride is very smooth, better than stock ZSP, and suspension is well controlled.
      12-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocinek View Post
James,
Could I get the spring rates for KW V1 E82 coilovers ?
I want to make absolutely sure that I eliminate the terrible nose dive under braking.

Thanks
The KW V1 E82 Coilovers are listed just as a progressive spring rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephkao View Post
I just put Koni Fsd on, the ride is very smooth, better than stock ZSP, and suspension is well controlled.

Koni Fsd's are nice and have been popular with customers. I like the ST's adjustability and being a full coilover rather then just a shock and the lifetime warranty. Both are solid products let us know if you guys need any help.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #14
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

sorry to hijack, but I see you also carry the Bilstein PSS9s as well. how do they compare to the KWv2 as far as spring rate (stiffness) and damping adjustability? Do they adjust compression and rebound separately, or is compression and rebound adjusted together with one knob?

Also, do the KWv1s and v2s use the same spring rate?

Basically, I'm looking for something as close to stock sport package height as possible, because sometimes I have to go to construction sites, and can't be too low. Also, I would like to maintain near-factory comfort 90% of the time if possible, which is why I am leaning toward an adjustable system.

thx.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #15
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

For the E90, it's the PSS10 which we do have available. This is going to offer less flexibility in terms of height range adjustment but is a very comparable coilover in terms of performance. The nice thing about the PSS10 setup is that dampening is very easy to adjust through knobs on the base of the shock. Between the two, I recommend doing the KWs but the Bilsteins are a fine choice and I have a set on my E46. I just find you get better adjustment with the KWs and a nicer setup for the price.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #16
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
sorry to hijack, but I see you also carry the Bilstein PSS9s as well. how do they compare to the KWv2 as far as spring rate (stiffness) and damping adjustability? Do they adjust compression and rebound separately, or is compression and rebound adjusted together with one knob?

Also, do the KWv1s and v2s use the same spring rate?

Basically, I'm looking for something as close to stock sport package height as possible, because sometimes I have to go to construction sites, and can't be too low. Also, I would like to maintain near-factory comfort 90% of the time if possible, which is why I am leaning toward an adjustable system.

thx.

Hey Mikey,

They do have knob adjust ability - in terms of stiffness to your question the Bilsteins have been the softer of the two. It's a single knob as I recall for the two.

Well the KW's are both a progressive spring rates. In terms of what you are looking for it sounds like the KW V2 would be suffice for setting you up to factory comfort and not going to low, and then adjusting it that other 10% of the time, would be fairly simple. Let us know if we can help!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #17
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
From what I read the ST coilovers and KW V1s are exactly the same except for the casing. The KW is stainless steel while the ST is galvanized steel. Since the OP is lives in CA the galvanized steel won't be an issue as opposed to someone living where the conditions are harsh. But as far as spring rate, etc.., I was informed that they are exactly the same. Probably b/c KW bought out ST?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 01:09 AM   #18
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
From what I read the ST coilovers and KW V1s are exactly the same except for the casing. The KW is stainless steel while the ST is galvanized steel. Since the OP is lives in CA the galvanized steel won't be an issue as opposed to someone living where the conditions are harsh. But as far as spring rate, etc.., I was informed that they are exactly the same. Probably b/c KW bought out ST?
You are a 100% correct. As to ST - well it wasn't bought out by KW - but it is KW's Brand. They will be re-branding the product with new Logo and so forth in the coming year or so. According to my last meeting with KW.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #19
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron************ View Post
You are a 100% correct. As to ST - well it wasn't bought out by KW - but it is KW's Brand. They will be re-branding the product with new Logo and so forth in the coming year or so. According to my last meeting with KW.
You mean the ST logo will be changing?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #20
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
You mean the ST logo will be changing?
It will still be the same green color and say ST, on the bottom of the logo it will say in smaller something like 'by KW Automotive' .
Appreciate 0