E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Why is it so hard to buy a car

07-29-2006, 07:20 AM   #1
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Why is it so hard to buy a car

Thought I would share my experience and see if others will do likewise:

It took me 3 goes just to buy my 330i

1st time - they offered by below the book price for my 530d

2nd time they offered me about £500 above book so we got onto the finance stage .... I told them what I wanted to pay - which was based on getting the interest rate I have on the 530d for HP on a lease purchase deal. They came back with stupid offers for PCP's and Lease Purchase which were up to £200 a month MORE than the figure I told them I was looking for - bizarre.

3rd time - on a tip from someone on e60.net - I phoned Lombard up - they said they didn't normally do finance for individuals, but since the amount was over £30k they agreed to give it a go. Straight away they offered me the finance I wanted and gave me some tips about managing the dealer - great fun . So this time I planned ahead got my figures from Lombard then got a cost from Drive The Deal for the car I wanted.

Off to the dealer I go (again) with my figures. Straight away - the business manager offered to match Lombards finance offer (despite the fact that an hour before he had told me to my face that 'no-one will offer anything like that')

Then to the purchase price. The salesman went on drive the deal's website to check what I was saying and said 'of course we can't match that' to which I replied 'I knew you would say that'.

So I put it to him like this:

'the difference between the 'drive the deal price' and the one you sell to me at is the premium I am prepared to pay for the the luxury of being able to just come in and swap the cars when the new one is ready, without the hastle of selling my car privately of sorting out cheques and the like with BMW finance'

His reply - 'how much is that worth to you'

I say 'max £1000'

He trots of to his boss and comes back a second later and agrees to match the figure plus £1000 - should have asked for more really.

That got me about a 10% discount though - which I was happy with.

All in good fun I suppose - but the battle I had to go through to get a fair deal was just outrageous. At one point they were telling me that for the monthly payment I wanted I could only get 325i

I can't think of any other situation where you are buying such an expensive item and the vendors first thoughts are - how much can we take this person for.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 06:51 AM   #2
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Interesting anecdote - I got a complete blank when buying mine - it was sticker price or no car. I did buy it when it was just released though! It was more important to me that I got the car quickly so I played one dealer off against the other.
      08-02-2006, 06:56 AM   #3
Krockit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 03 Boxster

Interesting that this BS happens across the Atlantic as well. I thought we had the exclusive on weasely car sales antics! Avoiding this crap put Saturn on the map instantly- no haggle prices as a company-wide guarantee.
Ordered- 4/6, Pro#- 4/8, Vin#- 4/15, Build date- 4/17, Completion date- 4/25, At port- 5/2, Loaded @ Bremerhaven- 5/4, on the water- 5/5, docked NYC- 5/18, Docked SC and released to carrier- 5/23, arrived Milwaukee -5/25! YEAH BROTHER! Drove it home- 5/31

330i SG/Beige 6MT, ZSP, ZPP, Comfort Access, Htd seats, Sirius, 35% tint.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

One interesting thing that the Lombard chap told me is that tactically the dealer will want to keep talking to you in cost per month terms.

He will try to play down the interest rate being offered - despite the fact that this is probably the key factor - and will take advantage of the fact that it is difficult to get firm offers from a variety of different lenders without ending up with a lot of searches on your credit history.

If the monthly costs are too high - they'll try to tip you toward a cheaper car (which they did with me) that way they make all their potential profit and you think you are getting something within your budget.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #5
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
....Also, try financing a ED car from US. Banks look at me like I am from another planet when I mention the car will not be titeled in the states for a while but I have to py the dealer off before delivery in Munich.... What a mess that is!
Appreciate 0