E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Low coolant light when coolant is not low...

02-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #1
MikeR1994
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 325i, 05 325Ci (RIP)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Low coolant light when coolant is not low...

So I have a low coolant light right now that started after I installed catless headers. I have a CEL right now but it's for misfires and just needs to be cleared since I have now fixed that problem, so those two aren't related. Could I have damaged the coolant level sensor in the expansion tank when I was shifting it around to get to the exhaust manifolds? I thought I was being pretty careful with it but you never know. On a side note after finally hunting down a couple exhaust leaks, having to take the headers off and replace the gaskets, and fixing my misfire problem, I noticed that my passenger side engine mount is blown. I swear the problems keep adding up on this car. I'll be off to college next year so I can't exactly afford to pay someone to do the work, but at least it has been a great learning experience and it makes me feel like a very accomplished owner, haha. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
-Michael
Active Autowerke Stage II | MMW CSv2 Exhaust | MMW Catless Headers | BC Racing BR Extreme Low Coilovers | custom adjustable rear suspension links | 19" Hyperblack CSL's | M3 style front | trim wrapped in brushed steel vinyl | Slightly smoked tail lights with clear reverse lights | factory xenons

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Johnny D
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [9.16]
Have you checked the coolant level?
      02-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
MikeR1994
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post
Have you checked the coolant level?
Yes sir, that's how I know the coolant is not low, haha. It WAS low when it came on initially, but I put a 50/50 mix of BMW coolant and distilled water in and have it filled to almost the bulge in the bobber stick marked "full", and even though I believe that light resets itself, all faults have been cleared since then and it keeps coming back. Could the problem actually be that I'm just barely below the full line? I ruled that out because it seems a little ridiculous. And I'm relatively sure I don't have air in the system because I ran my heater on high with the cap open for a couple minutes, and my heater has been working just as well as it was before.

I should also mention that I blew my water pump in the middle of BFE on the way to the beach over the summer, and drove a total of I think 70 miles (drive for 10 minutes, stop and pop the hood for 20. it took awhile. haha) trying to keep the car from actually being warm enough to need the cooling system. It wasn't a smart decision but I had to get somewhere to get it fixed, and I planned out that drive well enough to avoid causing any additional damage, so it worked out. It did release the pressure built up in the system through the expansion tank cap when the pump went out, but it has been fine since.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Johnny D
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [9.16]
I would re-check the sensor on the bottom of the overflow tank and see if there are any split/cut wires. After that, if they aren't I believe the sensors are only $20-25. Buy a new one and see if that fixes the issue.
      02-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
MikeR1994
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post
I would re-check the sensor on the bottom of the overflow tank and see if there are any split/cut wires. After that, if they aren't I believe the sensors are only $20-25. Buy a new one and see if that fixes the issue.
Thanks, I may give that a go tonight
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

yeah check to make sure the wiring is all good first, if nothing looks wrong then maybe your sensor is bad?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
MikeR1994
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid For Life View Post
yeah check to make sure the wiring is all good first, if nothing looks wrong then maybe your sensor is bad?
I was under my car removing my engine mount and I noticed the gray female end of the wire connector for the coolant level sensor had nothing attached to it... Went up top and the other end of it had tucked itself behind the excess sheet metal around the engine bay side of the wheel well. Cranked it up and the light didn't come on. Haha I felt like such an idiot
Appreciate 0