E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > The first scratch... advice?

09-17-2009, 02:22 AM   #1
llirik
Enlisted Member
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Cabrio M-Sport

The first scratch... advice?

Hey guys,

So, at the start of the year, I posted asking about options (I had a '09 325i 'vert) as for upgrades or simply going with a newer model, i eventually decided on a newer model and not upgrading anything in my 325.

I was going to wait for the 2010MY but my dealership actually had the exact car I wanted become "available" (a downpayment was put on it but the guy never followed through. his loss) and so I jumped at it. A 2009 335i 'vert with M-Sport Package and DCT. Reading up about the 2010 refresh, waiting for the vehicle and having those ugly side mirrors and only a few touch ups wasn't worth it for me. Plus, the price was unclear.

So I purchased the car and could not be happier. You may laugh that I jumped so quickly from one car to another that are almost identical, but to me its worth it. Alpine White, Red Interior, Convertibles on both (pics later). It's the same car, with all the new toys (idrive, speakers, transmission) without an M engine basically.

So yesterday, after having the car for exactly one week, I was leaving for work and just as I was leaving the gate, I idled forward and hit an SUV :| I can blame my AC at my house not working so not able to get a proper rest (hey, Dubai is hot) and other factors, but ultimately it was my fault. First collision ive ever had, in the most powerful (and not to mention expensive) car I've personally ever owned, and my foot wasn't even on the gas! (I was looking left towards traffic and the driver infront of me had changed her mind and not merged, and I did not notice her stop).

I'm heartbroken. This was (is) my new baby and a week off the lot (it was brand new with only 12km on it) I have to send it in for repairs, and because of Ramadan, this can't be done until October.

At first glance, The hood is dented and the bumper has some scratches on it as well as the headlight washer broke. my car = low. the SUV i hit = high. so it pushed down. Opening the hood the brackets that were holding the headlight in place are broken and the light is about 1 cm behind this. Also, all the washer fluid drained from the right side (and now I have a constant washer fluid low symbol), so I'm actually worried what other damage this may have caused. Ironically, the other car has very minor scratches on the bumper only.

I will be fixing the vehicle with BMW here, but I don't really understand the innerworkings of the car so what other problems MAY have been caused by this?

I don't know if its my paranoia, but the vehicle seems a little less responsive than it did before, it seems to stay at higher RPMs longer before it shifts (without sport mode on), and it MAY jerk slightly when in traffic (forward, brake, forward etc), as well, I dont' know if this was occuring before... but the maps on the iDrive are all slanted (i held up google maps on my iPhone to see if it were the streets, but google maps showed the streets properly, whereas the iDrive seems to think im on an incline or something?).

Now, is this all in my head because I'm devastated about the damage? Or can some of these issues actually have occurred because of this? Does the "incline" of a vehicle even matter when it comes to iDrive... perhaps this is simply how BMW has the maps laid out (i didn't actually use the nav until i needed to find the BMW repair shop and then it all seemed weird).

I'll attach pictures of the car brand new (along with my previous car. the 325 is "Snowflake" and the 335 is "Snowflake II" or S2. Yeah. I'm a geek :P) and the damage that was sustained yesterday.

Again, BMW will handle the repairs and all, but since I have to wait a few weeks before they even look at it, I just want to know what I may prepare myself for beyond a Hood and Bumper replacement, and if I'm going crazy imagination issues that are normal.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Bad luck but this should be a super easy fix. I would suggest considering a new hood versus having the damaged one repaired but if the body shop is great they may be able to fix it. The rest of the repair will be easy. It is not likely that you cause any real issues with other systems but if you go through a dealer they will make sure to check everything including the active headlights etc to make sure nothing else was damaged. It will be good as new in no time. Your pride may be another issue. I know about the heat buddy. We just finished a string of 114f weeks. Looking forward to Fall and Winter.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
llirik
Enlisted Member
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Hah, yeah, my pride's taken quite a hit.

Here is the iDrive issue I was mentioning. Notice how on iDrive all roads are slanted, whereas on google maps (and if i were to switch to satellite view as well) they are all normal.

This isn't SUPPOSED to be like this on the iDrive, is it? as i recall, my older gen iDrive displayed everything fine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

It's not the end of your life driving your car that way, be more careful and glad you didn't hit a person walking in front of you. Maybe check the VIEW of your nav and see what it is set on, mine is 'straight'. On the other hand, it's a bummer to break your Bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
I recommend you ask the body shop to assure you that you won't be able to tell that the car was ever damaged after they fix it. And if you can see any sign of damage, they'll redo it.

That's what my body shop told me on a previous car. That made me feel better instantly. They did a perfect job.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 02:07 AM   #6
llirik
Enlisted Member
United Arab Emirates
Rep

okay, shall do.

any idea on the iDrive issue?
Appreciate 0