E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > *Tips Hat to Logic 7* iPod Line Out vs. Headphone Jack

12-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

*Tips Hat to Logic 7* iPod Line Out vs. Headphone Jack

Since taking delivery on my car seven months ago, I've had my iPod connected to the Auxiliary port in the arm rest through the headphone port via an expensive gold pin mini to mini cable. I thought it sounded great, but nothing all that impressive. Today, I was going through my iPod accessory drawer and found a car charger with a port on top that said "Line out" and I thought, hmmm, that's an interesting idea---maybe I should try connecting my iPod to the Aux port in my car via the Line out connection. Only problem is that the car charger was too tall and wouldn't fit inside the glove box. I did the rear console DC port add-on mod about a month ago and figured I could utilize that for this and I did just that, while sending both cables neatly through the rear of the arm rest cover. I didn't have a gold pin mini to mini cable that was long enough to reach from the back of the console into the arm rest so I got managed to find another one in my stockpile that was long enough, but not gold pinned.

Finally, I had everything setup and reconnected the gold mini-to-mini to the Aux port through the headphone jack of the iPod to see how that sounded first. Then I pluged the mini-to-mini from the line out on the charger hooked up to the iPod and hit play. Immediately I noticed a huge increase in bass response as well as lounder volume and crisper music. I couldn't believe such a small change made such a big difference. And this was without the gold pinned cable too!

NOW the Logic 7 speakers were starting to impress me. I did many back and forths between going out of the headphone port and the line out jack on the same song and the results were impressive. Line out is so, so, so much better. Especially if you have a tuned ear. Finally, I played my car's theme song, I Like The Way You Move by The Bodyrockers and my car was rockin'! The bass on that was incredible with my bass volume turned up 3/4 of the way, and the vocals were very good!

All in all, if you're still running through the headphone port of your iPod, picked up a line out jack for the dock connector of your iPod and switch now!

I'm truly a believer of the Logic 7 system now.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
kuthair
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sedan 6MT

Good to hear... i bought a Belkin charger with line-out for this exact reason and it sounds like crap.

What kind of charger do you have?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #3
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuthair
Good to hear... i bought a Belkin charger with line-out for this exact reason and it sounds like crap.

What kind of charger do you have?
This one: http://www.amazon.com/APPLE-TA351LL-.../dp/B000BQYP7C

It's incredibly good. What I love about it is that it's both a car charger and AC charger. And, of course, it's got the great line out input.

Looks like it's discontinued though. I have no idea why!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
Nemesis335i
Rep
Drives: 335i

Talked to my friend at the Apple store, he recommends http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=337247

He said the volume on the Ipod is a resistor, so it creates destortion. He is of the opinion that using the DOK will give the best sound.

I would like to connect to the stereo via rca, not a stereo jack. Does anyone know if there is an avaliable connection on the stereo? Does the stereo out put as rca and then convert to a stereo jack?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Kindryck
Private
Rep
Drives: TiAg 335i Coupe

We have a 04 Nissan Armada that has the Line In input on the dash near the radio and have had no problems with the Belkin car charger with the Line Out feature. So, before we went to Munich to do our ED I picked up another one. And it sounded like crap in the BMW, when you had it plugged in to the armrest socket. Getting alot of feedback so we ended up just using the head phone jack. Passable but I know it can do better.

While looking around the internet after we got back to see what I wanted to do I stumbled onto this:

http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...neout-usb.html

No innate charging capabilities but you can buy a standard USB car charger to plug into it from what I can see. Picking up the car tomorrow finally so I'll let you know how it works out.

Good Luck,

K
      12-06-2006, 10:10 PM   #6
oneshare325
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindryck
We have a 04 Nissan Armada that has the Line In input on the dash near the radio and have had no problems with the Belkin car charger with the Line Out feature. So, before we went to Munich to do our ED I picked up another one. And it sounded like crap in the BMW, when you had it plugged in to the armrest socket. Getting alot of feedback so we ended up just using the head phone jack. Passable but I know it can do better.

While looking around the internet after we got back to see what I wanted to do I stumbled onto this:

No innate charging capabilities but you can buy a standard USB car charger to plug into it from what I can see. Picking up the car tomorrow finally so I'll let you know how it works out.

Good Luck,

K

Ok...I liked this one the best so I just ordered it.

I don't have logic 7 but I don't think I have ever listened to a CD so sound quality from the ipod is key to me! Can't wait for it to show up...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 04:06 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Just get this guys:

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=120584

Because the charger is low profile it fits snugly in the armrest outlet with the armrest closed - no prob's.

Don't buy the belkin ones though as they have a pre-amp which is actually worse than the ipod one.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 08:05 AM   #8
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
Just get this guys:

Because the charger is low profile it fits snugly in the armrest outlet with the armrest closed - no prob's.

Don't buy the belkin ones though as they have a pre-amp which is actually worse than the ipod one.
That's only good for charging it. That's exactly what I had with the gold pinned mini-to-mini going out the headphone port before I changed to the new line-out connection yesterday. Although, either way, it's going to be short-lived because on Saturday ///Matt from this board is installing the iPod MOST Integration kit in my car. That too utilizes a line-out connection so it's going to sound just as good, plus it's all going to be elegantly tucked away and out of sight, plus I'll be able to see what song I'm playing and navigate my iPod from my iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 08:08 AM   #9
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Good Luck,

K
Yup. Good thinking.

I just wish the Griffin Air Click had a pass-through dock connector so that I could charge the iPod while I utilize the wireless features of the Air Click. I actually called Griffin yesterday and asked why they didn't already integrate that feature into the Air Click and the guy who I talked to had no answer and was actually upset that I was questioning the way they designed their products----uhhhh, I'm the consumer dumbass, consumers are in fact the ones that ultimately call the shots.

Anyway, iPod MOST Integration kit gets installed Saturday. BMW + iPod nirvana, here I come.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #10
kuthair
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Good Luck,

K
That's exactly what mine sounds like -- lots of feedback. I did the same thing for ED but I wasn't able to test it before I went. Now I want to take the damn thing back to get my money back, but its been a little while I hope they take it.

That's the 2nd Belkin ipod accessory I bought that is utter crap. I will not buy another one. The other item was the FM transmitter --- total sh*t. If your looking for an FM transmitter the Kensignton kicks ass.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #11
kuthair
Captain
Rep

What do you guys think of this:

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/smartcharge/
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 08:39 AM   #12
rlc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '16 F15d

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.5i Roadster  [9.00]
Get one of these:

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2132

Low profile plug and line level connection to the AUX input.

I also use this one in an older car and it works flawlessly:

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2084
      12-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

Regarding feedback (engine whine) and the Belkin connector:

VERY common problem. The Belkin connector uses the same ground line for the power and the audio. This creates a large ground-loop (basically, a huge antenna inside the car) that picks up all the AC noise in the electrical system.

There's a very easy fix for this: purchase a connector cable that incorporates a "ground isolator" (sometimes called an "audio isolator"). Radio Shack sells this cable for about $15, looks like a normal RCA cable with a 1" x 3" cylinder in the middle (containing the isolation transformers). Works perfectly with the Belkin connector. This is how I attach my Belkin/iPod to the aux-in connector on our 335i. Note that the Radio Shack cable ends with RCA plugs. The kit includes one RCA to 3.5mm miniplug adapter; you'll need to purchase another to get both ends to miniplug configuration.

------
Side note: I'm *amazed* no one has offered what I consider the ideal audio solution for iPod-to-aux input connection. Incorporate the functionality of the Belkin connector (charge + line out on the plug; allows only a single cable to the bottom of you iPod) and include a ground-loop isolator as part of the package, built into the car-charger portion. Frankly, I'd think you could sell thousands of these things with ease...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #14
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 / F31 330d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
Just get this guys:

+1

I also bought the Monster Charger and I'm very pleased with it!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 01:21 PM   #15
kuthair
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112
Regarding feedback (engine whine) and the Belkin connector:

VERY common problem. The Belkin connector uses the same ground line for the power and the audio. This creates a large ground-loop (basically, a huge antenna inside the car) that picks up all the AC noise in the electrical system.

There's a very easy fix for this: purchase a connector cable that incorporates a "ground isolator" (sometimes called an "audio isolator"). Radio Shack sells this cable for about $15, looks like a normal RCA cable with a 1" x 3" cylinder in the middle (containing the isolation transformers). Works perfectly with the Belkin connector. This is how I attach my Belkin/iPod to the aux-in connector on our 335i. Note that the Radio Shack cable ends with RCA plugs. The kit includes one RCA to 3.5mm miniplug adapter; you'll need to purchase another to get both ends to miniplug configuration.

------
Side note: I'm *amazed* no one has offered what I consider the ideal audio solution for iPod-to-aux input connection. Incorporate the functionality of the Belkin connector (charge + line out on the plug; allows only a single cable to the bottom of you iPod) and include a ground-loop isolator as part of the package, built into the car-charger portion. Frankly, I'd think you could sell thousands of these things with ease...

Yea, I read about the grounding issue. So, this solution turns a $30 piece of garbage into a $50 mess of wires. Not the best solution for me.

My question to you is: is grounding going to be a problem with all chargers with line-out or are some not affected? Like the PocketDoc that Kindryck suggested?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: did some more searching:
http://www.amazon.com/SendStation-Po...qid=1165521575
In the first review, someone states this will be affected by ground loop as well. Looks like gonna have to go with ground isolator until i decide to pony up for ipod integration. Thanks.

Last edited by kuthair; 12-07-2006 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #16
kuthair
Captain
Rep

Crutchfield sells a Ground Loop Isolator that wont require Y adapters:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zgANP3i...150#morephotos
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 06:00 PM   #17
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: people mad

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
There is a sticky on this already
      12-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #18
VapoR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupé

Quote:

No innate charging capabilities but you can buy a standard USB car charger to plug into it from what I can seey. Picking up the car tomorrow finally so I'll let you know how it works out.

Good Luck,

K
bmwexecutive, do u think that the device described above will put out similar results as your setup? is it the same type of setup? i have the monster icarplay charger that also goes thru the FM and i hate it. i need something with good crisp sound that wont hinder the bass.

also a lot of the products discussed above are just chargers right? i thought the issue was sound quality not keeping the ipod running.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #19
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuthair
If that could go 90 degrees downward it'd be the best solution yet considering it could fit in the armrest, charge the iPod and offers a line-out connection all at the same time. Good find.

I'd buy it if I didn't just buy the BMW iPod MOST Integration kit.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 10:09 PM   #20
bud001
That Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330i (E90)  [0.00]
Can you post a picture so i can look at the setup? I am poor with technical stufgf and i am completely lost. A picture would be MUCH appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #21
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I have the monster car charger with line out plug. It connects to the dock connector on the iPod. Works great. I can't hear any noise in the system from hooking it up that way and I have really picky ears.
It was $40 and then I bought a decent mini-mini plug to go from the monster adapter to the aux in.
The Most adapter would be nice but I don't feel like spending that much money to hook up the ipod. My only frustration with the current setup is I can't easily change albums/tracks or even skip songs. I have to open up the armrest and look down at the ipod. not good while driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #22
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Well i use my ipod with no charger attach to it, only the aux audio cable. I have the "BOSE" Docking speaker for the house and that also charges it. I usually have to charge it once a week. This way dont have to deal with a car charger and have 2 cables coming out of the ipod. I love the soound too.
Appreciate 0