E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Monaco Grand Prix

05-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Monaco Grand Prix

I used to be a major fan of F1 but I find myself more and more often just deleting the races from my Sky box. It has to do with the fact that the Governing body and rules have more to do with the outcome than the actual drivers.

Take the gearbox swap rule. How is that in anyway the fault of the driver...so why on earth penalize him with 5 grid places? There's a constructors as well as a drivers championship, so surely, when the problem has to do with the car, doesn't it make more sense to penalize the constructor?

I do at least watch one race per year live...the Monaco Grand Prix. This afternoon I'm busy watching the race, with Nico Rosberg leading and Lewis Hamilton second, doing a fine job keeping the Red Bulls at bay. Then Massa dings the barrier, Bernd Maylaender wakes up, we watch 10 laps of cars trying to keep their tyres warm for no reason I can fathom, then the race starts again with Rosberg in the lead and Hamilton 4th, so I spent the next 5 laps waiting in vain for one of the commentators to explain what happened, at which point I lost interest and spent the rest of the afternoon oiling a nice teak garden bench.

Last edited by SteveC; 05-26-2013 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Ha ha ha. I think Hamilton messed up and went in the pits to early after Rosberg.

I won't dare offer an opinion on the driver/team debate in case mini-Bernie comes in an tells me how it is
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

It was a pretty boring race, Monaco is normally much better. No real action and didn't get excited even with all the commentators getting a boner over the so called action. A few crashes and a few safety cars. Hopefully the next race will be more entertaining.

Not really applicable to Monaco but i agree with Brundle about DRS. It just makes overtaking too easy and reduces the number of times we see drivers overtaking in a way which amazes us.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 01:33 AM   #4
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

The point is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
It was a pretty boring race, Monaco is normally much better. No real action and didn't get excited even with all the commentators getting a boner over the so called action. A few crashes and a few safety cars. Hopefully the next race will be more entertaining.

Not really applicable to Monaco but i agree with Brundle about DRS. It just makes overtaking too easy and reduces the number of times we see drivers overtaking in a way which amazes us.
I think that's my whole point. F1 is so manipulated by rules its really not interesting anymore, because driver skill is only a small part of the outcome. For example, the rule where you have to use both types of tyres during a race. Why on earth would you fit a tyre that you know is slower or doesn't last more than 8-10 laps? You wouldn't except the rules say you have to, so you can have a situation of 2 drivers neck and neck only for 1 to be forced to fit inferior tyres. Takes a potentially exciting situation and kills it stone dead. Similarly, as you mention....all a driver has to do is to close up to within 1 second of someone, then the organisers give them a helping hand to pass via DRS, so overtakes are just gimmees these days.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
The technology side of F1 is dead. It used to be a sport about being as fast as possible. Now it is just restrictions and bullshit from Bernie. It might as well be run by the government.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

I also tend to feel the regulations have become ridiculous now. DRS was the death knell for sure. I hated it from the moment it was introduced.

But it surely appeals to the more casual follower to see all these overtakes in a race. Just, those who understand driving at any kind of level will realise what a sham it is..
      05-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

More fun and games to come...

1.6l turbo anyone?

Heavier cars (increased minimum weight restriction)

In the not too distant future I bet there will be more stringent noise regs. How about a cap on emmissions?!

I cant wait for all electric F1...
      05-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Ha ha ha.

Then make them stop and run to the closest newsagents for a £10 top up.
Appreciate 0