E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD Flasher for N54 - general discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #10429
AviatorBimmerFL
Second Lieutenant
AviatorBimmerFL's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnohr096 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorBimmerFL View Post
Yup, I will be placing an order for a new LPFP first thing in the morning tomorrow.

See, what you said about a boost leak, has been bugging me all day because I think I can hear what seems like a boost leak indeed. When I accelerate, I hear a whoossh sound that is higher than normal.

Will the car run fine with a boost leak? I mean, should it idle rough and accelerate roughly as well?

I know there must also be a boost leak because the car is making higher than normal whoosh sounds.

Also, excuse me for my ignorance but the LPFP feeds the HPFP? In other words, if the LPFP has low pressure, then it would be in essence “depriving” the HPFP of fuel and causing it’s pressure to drop?

If so, it makes a ton of sense. It’s like when I try to use my water pressure washer. If the water hose from the tap does not have enough pressure, the water pressure doesn’t work too well.
No sense in guessing if you have a boost leak, there are many threads and DIY on how to test for those. Usually start with the brittle stock vacuum lines (there are many) and then check intercooler, intercooler couplers, lower and upper charge pipe, and diverter(s). Might also be waste gate solenoids if they are old. Seems like in the log that they are doing something weird. In spool mode they should be closed (90s value) until you get close to target boost. But yours seem to open early before you come close to target boost.

As for the LPFP yes it does move fuel towards the HPFP, if it cannot keep up with the demand of the HPFP I'd imagine that rail pressure would drop.
I replaced ALL vacuum lines and both boost solenoids this past Saturday. Car was running great in WOT that same day when I went for a test drive.

I guess I will need to check the couplers on the FMIC and chargepipe to make sure none have come loose.

It would suck if it turns out one of the vacuums lines have popped off either one of the turbo wastegate solenoids.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:35 AM   #10430
RSL
Lieutenant
230
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnohr096 View Post
As a side note, you are correct, I would not take those numbers as whp. No way in hell ppl are running 425 whp on 91OCT on stock turbos.
VD numbers are at the tires, the log is done with the car on the road. That, in no way, means the numbers are remotely accurate. Anyone who thinks they're making 425whp on 91 oct is just kidding themselves. They have a nice downhill slope during their log or seriously incorrect weights, tire sizes or environmental factors input...or all of the above. E60 might make ~440whp on stock turbos for a split second, but probably near impossible to crack 400whp on just 91 oct even with a custom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorBimmerFL View Post
Yup, same codes... same limp mode... Does it in DS, D with DSC both ON and OFF.
There are separate issues and one starts as soon as you go WOT. Cyl 1 corrects hard at ~4400, but recovers. Cyl 4 corrects big ~4485 and doesn't stop correcting through 2 full gears, AFRs go 10:2:1, then STFTs both go full negative, then both banks split to max + and max -.

https://datazap.me/u/aviatorbimmer/l...6-28&zoom=6-77

You obviously had a fair amount of tire spin (or a tranny/tq converter issue) and might play into it some, but something is definitely out of sync in the air:fuel department. Don't waste your time in 2nd gear, start in 3rd 2000-2500rpm. Always a good idea to start with anything you've recently touched and if it's an MSD80, never rule out mosfets.

As for the shift issue, TQ limiter 2048 can be more than one thing, but judging by that RPM, it's rev limit on shift. Limits are very slightly different between auto and manual AT modes, but winding out that high on stock turbos is kind of a waste, regardless.

After you get the AFR issue sorted, try shifting at 6000 instead and see if your shift problem stops.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 10:07 AM   #10431
AviatorBimmerFL
Second Lieutenant
AviatorBimmerFL's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnohr096 View Post
As a side note, you are correct, I would not take those numbers as whp. No way in hell ppl are running 425 whp on 91OCT on stock turbos.
VD numbers are at the tires, the log is done with the car on the road. That, in no way, means the numbers are remotely accurate. Anyone who thinks they're making 425whp on 91 oct is just kidding themselves. They have a nice downhill slope during their log or seriously incorrect weights, tire sizes or environmental factors input...or all of the above. E60 might make ~440whp on stock turbos for a split second, but probably near impossible to crack 400whp on just 91 oct even with a custom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorBimmerFL View Post
Yup, same codes... same limp mode... Does it in DS, D with DSC both ON and OFF.
There are separate issues and one starts as soon as you go WOT. Cyl 1 corrects hard at ~4400, but recovers. Cyl 4 corrects big ~4485 and doesn't stop correcting through 2 full gears, AFRs go 10:2:1, then STFTs both go full negative, then both banks split to max + and max -.

https://datazap.me/u/aviatorbimmer/l...6-28&zoom=6-77

You obviously had a fair amount of tire spin (or a tranny/tq converter issue) and might play into it some, but something is definitely out of sync in the air:fuel department. Don't waste your time in 2nd gear, start in 3rd 2000-2500rpm. Always a good idea to start with anything you've recently touched and if it's an MSD80, never rule out mosfets.

As for the shift issue, TQ limiter 2048 can be more than one thing, but judging by that RPM, it's rev limit on shift. Limits are very slightly different between auto and manual AT modes, but winding out that high on stock turbos is kind of a waste, regardless.

After you get the AFR issue sorted, try shifting at 6000 instead and see if your shift problem stops.
I just placed an order for a new LPFP from FCPEuro... Hopefully this fixes the issue but if it doesn?t, it?s ok because at 162K miles, it?s on it?s last leg anyway.

One thing I noticed is that when I go WOT on 3rd, I keep forgetting that this forces the transmission to drop back one gear. This explains why the logs are showing that I started at 2nd gear.

Do you guys recommend that I enable kick-down deactivation and reflash MHD?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:59 AM   #10432
RSL
Lieutenant
230
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorBimmerFL View Post
I just placed an order for a new LPFP from FCPEuro... Hopefully this fixes the issue but if it doesn?t, it?s ok because at 162K miles, it?s on it?s last leg anyway.

One thing I noticed is that when I go WOT on 3rd, I keep forgetting that this forces the transmission to drop back one gear. This explains why the logs are showing that I started at 2nd gear.

Do you guys recommend that I enable kick-down deactivation and reflash MHD?
At least that explains the crazy RPM rise that looked like tire spin and may be contributing to some of what's happening at WOT. You can disable kick-down if you need to or just press the accel pedal to the point of resistance, not past it.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:03 AM   #10433
AviatorBimmerFL
Second Lieutenant
AviatorBimmerFL's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorBimmerFL View Post
I just placed an order for a new LPFP from FCPEuro... Hopefully this fixes the issue but if it doesn?t, it?s ok because at 162K miles, it?s on it?s last leg anyway.

One thing I noticed is that when I go WOT on 3rd, I keep forgetting that this forces the transmission to drop back one gear. This explains why the logs are showing that I started at 2nd gear.

Do you guys recommend that I enable kick-down deactivation and reflash MHD?
At least that explains the crazy RPM rise that looked like tire spin and may be contributing to some of what's happening at WOT. You can disable kick-down if you need to or just press the accel pedal to the point of resistance, not past it.
Yea, I agree... Actually, the more I look at the graphs, the more sense it all makes. The car was actually being deprived of fuel. Already ordered a new stock LPFP and since I will definitely not be going the E85 route, I have no need for a stage 2 Fuel-It pump.

I might just order the inline Stage 1 Fuel-It pump instead, to go with the stock LPFP.

This would be good for my current needs?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:39 PM   #10434
335e92tx
Colonel
335e92tx's Avatar
343
Rep
2,052
Posts

Drives: Was 07-335e92 - Now '13 335IS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (3)

I would think the fuel-it s1 pump would be adequate even if the OEM pump is almost failed. But you might want to check with the vendor themselves.
__________________

Apr 14 2017 - '13 335IS replaced the '07 E92
13IS mods BQ Tuned/MHD flashed - MFactory LSD - ATM IC - next KoniFSDs and M*arms.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:51 PM   #10435
AviatorBimmerFL
Second Lieutenant
AviatorBimmerFL's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
I would think the fuel-it s1 pump would be adequate even if the OEM pump is almost failed. But you might want to check with the vendor themselves.
Hi buddy!

Hmmmm I did order both. If my LPFP is on it?s last leg, I rather swap it out. Plus having the Stage 1 Fuel-It pump as well, it?s better to be on the safe side, right?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:28 PM   #10436
335e92tx
Colonel
335e92tx's Avatar
343
Rep
2,052
Posts

Drives: Was 07-335e92 - Now '13 335IS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (3)

yeah, fueling on a DI motor is JOB1 really.. very unforgiving..
__________________

Apr 14 2017 - '13 335IS replaced the '07 E92
13IS mods BQ Tuned/MHD flashed - MFactory LSD - ATM IC - next KoniFSDs and M*arms.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:06 AM   #10437
FCobra94
Brigadier General
FCobra94's Avatar
1053
Rep
3,755
Posts

Drives: '07 E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

MHD Tuning Is there any way to add Voltage as a sensor to be monitored/data logged/recorded?
__________________
'07 E90 335i - Automagic - Non-sport
MHD E60|Alpina Flash|Stg 2 LPFP|VRSF 7"FMIC-DP-CP|TIAL BOV|cp-e DCI
Bilstein B6|Dinan Camber Plates|E93 M3 FSB-LCA-Guide Rods|Manzo Toe Arms|HPS 5.0
Sonic Tuning ST100 - 18x8.5 ET35 - Conti DWS 245/40/18 - 10/20 F/R spacers
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:09 AM   #10438
86merc
Private First Class
17
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: 2009 335xi sedan
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (0)

I switched to stage 2 to stage 2+. I am getting misfires with stage 2+ where I had no issues with stage 1+ or stage 2. My spark plugs and coils have less than 5K miles on them. Both OE parts. I assume the extra cylinder pressure is an issue with stage 2+.

I have NGK Iridium spark plugs in the garage already. Bith part numbers 95770 & 5992. Any suggestion on the gap I should try? .022", .020", .018"?

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:27 PM   #10439
Aus335iguy
Major
Aus335iguy's Avatar
130
Rep
1,000
Posts

Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sydney Aus

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
MHD Tuning Is there any way to add Voltage as a sensor to be monitored/data logged/recorded?
Yeah they are looking at using one of the emissions sensors for flex fuel integration ... it was on US spec cars not on others though...
__________________
There's no problem that 2 German turbos can't fix
Yes i know they're made by Mitsubishi and its always irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:37 PM   #10440
Subeamer24
Second Lieutenant
Subeamer24's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
276
Posts

Drives: 335xi Alpine white
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnohr096 View Post
Martial is saying that the difference between 91OCT map and e60 is much bigger than 15whp.

As a side note, you are correct, I would not take those numbers as whp. No way in hell ppl are running 425 whp on 91OCT on stock turbos.

FYI from the MHD user manual (note the hp numbers are at the crank; but we are looking at differences so the absolute numbers do not matter):

- Stage 2 Maps: eight maps included: Stage 2 (high flow downpipes recommended), Stage 2 + FMIC (DPs + upgraded FMIC recommended). Each with 4 octane variants (US Octane 91, 91, 93, 95 / RON 93-95-98-102). Average Power Levels 370-430hp using a peak 16 to 18 psi tapering to 12-14psi at redline.

- E85 Mix Maps: for Ethanol blends of 25-60% targeting peak 18psi tapering to 14, 420-450hp. (DPs and upgraded FMIC recommended + upgraded Low Pressure Fuel Pump for E60 Map)

So the difference between Stage 2 + FMIC at 95 OCT (430hp) and e60 (450hp) is 20 hp. Therefore the difference between the 91 OCT variant should be much greater (approximately another 30 hp; Martial previously reported approximately a 20 hp difference between 91 and 93 OCT variants and a 10 hp difference between 93 and 95 OCT variants ). Bottom line it should be more like 50 hp difference.

Agreed, as i stated before, in no way shape or form am i taking those numbers as Actual AWHP as I'm sure they are inflated and not fully accurate. I'm just using them to see the delta between 91 and e60.

I did see the numbers in the MHD manual and was looking at just the Delta and not the final numbers as I'm sure they want to claim less so when we actually get more power we're happy Which is why I was surprised when I only saw a 15whp delta on my runs.

I will re-do testing this weekend when I put some e85 back in the car( giving it a break with some regular 91oct for a bit)

Hoping to see close to 440awhp on the e60 map when I do a log on a straight road and assure all parameters are correct.
__________________
(e92-AW) BMS Dci/VRSF Dp's - Fmic - CP/Tial Bov/Cyba scoops/Stage 2 LPFP/Alpina TCU/MHD e60/CF Spoiler-Roof spoiler-Mirror caps-eyelids/VMR v703/
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:43 PM   #10441
Subeamer24
Second Lieutenant
Subeamer24's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
276
Posts

Drives: 335xi Alpine white
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
VD numbers are at the tires, the log is done with the car on the road. That, in no way, means the numbers are remotely accurate. Anyone who thinks they're making 425whp on 91 oct is just kidding themselves. They have a nice downhill slope during their log or seriously incorrect weights, tire sizes or environmental factors input...or all of the above. E60 might make ~440whp on stock turbos for a split second, but probably near impossible to crack 400whp on just 91 oct even with a custom.

There are separate issues and one starts as soon as you go WOT. Cyl 1 corrects hard at ~4400, but recovers. Cyl 4 corrects big ~4485 and doesn't stop correcting through 2 full gears, AFRs go 10:2:1, then STFTs both go full negative, then both banks split to max + and max -.

https://datazap.me/u/aviatorbimmer/l...6-28&zoom=6-77

You obviously had a fair amount of tire spin (or a tranny/tq converter issue) and might play into it some, but something is definitely out of sync in the air:fuel department. Don't waste your time in 2nd gear, start in 3rd 2000-2500rpm. Always a good idea to start with anything you've recently touched and if it's an MSD80, never rule out mosfets.

As for the shift issue, TQ limiter 2048 can be more than one thing, but judging by that RPM, it's rev limit on shift. Limits are very slightly different between auto and manual AT modes, but winding out that high on stock turbos is kind of a waste, regardless.

After you get the AFR issue sorted, try shifting at 6000 instead and see if your shift problem stops.

Again just want to note for everyone, Do NOT expect those numbers on 91oct i stated before(425awhp), in no way shape or form am I taking those numbers as Actual AWHP as I'm sure they are inflated and not fully accurate. I'm just using them to see the delta between 91oct and e60 for MY specific car and MY specific runs. My runs were in different locations and different days.

I will be doing testing this weekend as accurate as possible and post back here.

3 runs on 91oct, will post VD graph and logs.
Give the car a breather, grab some e85.
3 runs on e60, will post VD graph and logs.
__________________
(e92-AW) BMS Dci/VRSF Dp's - Fmic - CP/Tial Bov/Cyba scoops/Stage 2 LPFP/Alpina TCU/MHD e60/CF Spoiler-Roof spoiler-Mirror caps-eyelids/VMR v703/
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:24 PM   #10442
FCobra94
Brigadier General
FCobra94's Avatar
1053
Rep
3,755
Posts

Drives: '07 E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
MHD Tuning Is there any way to add Voltage as a sensor to be monitored/data logged/recorded?
Yeah they are looking at using one of the emissions sensors for flex fuel integration ... it was on US spec cars not on others though...
I just meant voltage as in battery/alternator voltage...that other stuff sounds cool though.
__________________
'07 E90 335i - Automagic - Non-sport
MHD E60|Alpina Flash|Stg 2 LPFP|VRSF 7"FMIC-DP-CP|TIAL BOV|cp-e DCI
Bilstein B6|Dinan Camber Plates|E93 M3 FSB-LCA-Guide Rods|Manzo Toe Arms|HPS 5.0
Sonic Tuning ST100 - 18x8.5 ET35 - Conti DWS 245/40/18 - 10/20 F/R spacers
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:52 PM   #10443
335e92tx
Colonel
335e92tx's Avatar
343
Rep
2,052
Posts

Drives: Was 07-335e92 - Now '13 335IS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86merc View Post
I switched to stage 2 to stage 2+. I am getting misfires with stage 2+ where I had no issues with stage 1+ or stage 2. My spark plugs and coils have less than 5K miles on them. Both OE parts. I assume the extra cylinder pressure is an issue with stage 2+.

I have NGK Iridium spark plugs in the garage already. Bith part numbers 95770 & 5992. Any suggestion on the gap I should try? .022", .020", .018"?

Thanks for the help.
Only heard of 22being used.
__________________

Apr 14 2017 - '13 335IS replaced the '07 E92
13IS mods BQ Tuned/MHD flashed - MFactory LSD - ATM IC - next KoniFSDs and M*arms.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:05 PM   #10444
86merc
Private First Class
17
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: 2009 335xi sedan
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
Only heard of 22being used.
I saw different people post .018" to 0.022" being used when I did a search on the forum. But they didn't mention mods, boost levels, and so on.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:05 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST