E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > using springs in winter time

08-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

using springs in winter time

Hi guys new here...

I got a 08 328i about a month ago... short time now but few mods looking to do... already got it tinted, matte black grill, LED Interior. I want to get it lowered and throw some 19's on it but think that with stock suspension might look really bad...

doing all this I'm not able to dish out another $1600 on top of the few mods i've done so far. (Plus this week getting my LED AE's and HID Fogs done)

my question is more towards you toronto folks... do you have lowered suspension on a e90? if so how is the driving in the winter time? first time owning a BMW or a rear wheel drive car so a bit nervious about this... if anything i may have to wait until next year to make the full change to coil's...

if i go with the springs i'm thinking eibach sportlines or pro-kit or looking at h &R sport/Race springs. (I'd like to see differences but I've done some research and it appears the the eibach is similar to stock but with a lowered look) If i do decide to go with the springs i'll eventually get the koni FSD's but not right away.

thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
KCX_335xi
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 | 2013 e70 X5

It's fine.

Even take the car to Blue Mountain once in a while, no issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCX_335xi View Post
It's fine.

Even take the car to Blue Mountain once in a while, no issues at all.
which ones did you use or do you suggest? I see you made the move to the kwv1's
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
KCX_335xi
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 | 2013 e70 X5

Yes, I went with the KW V1's...... Both front/back are height adjustable, car sticks to the road like glue

Last edited by KCX_335xi; 08-15-2012 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
johnniewalker
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328 xdrive

If you are going to lower the car anyways, do it once and do it right !

I would wait and get the coils. Last year i was on the same boat. I bought the eibach pro kit. The ride comfort wasn't as bad, but not good enough. I bought it for 300+, plus 300 install. Then bought the kw v1 for 1400 plus 300 install. Sold the springs for 150.
I spent 450 extra. which i think wasn't necessary if i were patience enough.

And by the way, if you are getting HID fogs. Make sure you buy Canbus Ballast. those are plug and pay and error free.
      08-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Bladerunner
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Where did you get the canabus fogs from?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post

I would wait and get the coils. Last year i was on the same boat. I bought the eibach pro kit. The ride comfort wasn't as bad, but not good enough. I bought it for 300+, plus 300 install. Then bought the kw v1 for 1400 plus 300 install. Sold the springs for 150.

And by the way, if you are getting HID fogs. Make sure you buy Canbus Ballast. those are plug and pay and error free.
install i'm not worried about.... majority of my family are mechanics except me... don't have a clue what happened there.... but basically i'd just pay for the part as a temp and next year do it properly... or just get the koni FSD's. with that being said do you think it might be more worth it now to install them as a temp?

as for the fog's theres a guy giving me everything LED AE's canbus HID fogs and install all for $310 Flat. If everything is good I'll post pics and send his info to you guys... $310 is pretty good deal for all of that with install for me not to sure about the brand though never heard of it he said it comes from Germany called germantech. anyone heard of it?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:

alsoooo... how did the eibach handle in gta weather in winter? this maybe what it all comes down to me lol
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
johnniewalker
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
Where did you get the canabus fogs from?
I got my set from first markham place. Any auto shop that sells HIDs should have them. Just make sure you ask for canbus basllast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techy1 View Post
alsoooo... how did the eibach handle in gta weather in winter? this maybe what it all comes down to me lol
310 its a bit high IMO. Since you have relatives that are mechanist. Why not just buy them yourself and ask them yo install it?.

HID kit goes for 120, that leaves 190 for the leds. If you get a good brand like the lux. Then you will have to drop some more cash. However, if he is selling you just regular leds, I think those go for 80? I think you can squeeze some cash out of those two mods.

For the eibachs, they were stiff. Some ppl say they are better than the h&r. But still, I wasn't happy with the drop. It was a quite conservative drop, so its good for the winter. I like the coils cuz it gives me the ability to adjust the height, even when I switch between 19" and 18", but that's just personal preference. I know ppl that are happy with their spring and shock combo.
      08-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
I got my set from first markham place. Any auto shop that sells HIDs should have them. Just make sure you ask for canbus basllast.

310 its a bit high IMO. Since you have relatives that are mechanist. Why not just buy them yourself and ask them yo install it?.

HID kit goes for 120, that leaves 190 for the leds. If you get a good brand like the lux. Then you will have to drop some more cash. However, if he is selling you just regular leds, I think those go for 80? I think you can squeeze some cash out of those two mods.

For the eibachs, they were stiff. Some ppl say they are better than the h&r. But still, I wasn't happy with the drop. It was a quite conservative drop, so its good for the winter. I like the coils cuz it gives me the ability to adjust the height, even when I switch between 19" and 18", but that's just personal preference. I know ppl that are happy with their spring and shock combo.
did you have the pro-kit or the sportlines? I saw some pics for the sport lines and they seem pretty low. I keep hearing mixed feelings about the H&R's

for for the installs I try not to bother them as much as possible so when he said he'd install them too I said seems ok since he was only charge 50 on top of the parts to install. he claims they are brighter than the lux and mtech's. he did tell me if i was just buying the parts he would just charge 280. I'll see if i can get him to email me a pic.

plus i've heard that the Lux do not fade like the OEM's. still waiting to confirm this but they are the kind of bright I'm looking for. esp. if they are noticable when using the DRL's because i plan to do some coding to only use my AE's for DRL's.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

he emailed me back here is what they look like....

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
johnniewalker
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

^^^ looks pretty.
I had the pro kits.
      08-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

just got the Halo LEDs installed from the guy I was telling you about! check out:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...6#post12552666
Appreciate 0