E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > **Bluetooth Retrofit Guide** for TCU and ULF

06-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #485
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfunk View Post
Hi Alex,

that sounds interesting, and certainly worth a punt. Any reccomendations on where to start looking at learning coding?

Thx
Soulfunk.
You have three options:

Local: get someone near you to do it. Many on the forum will. Prices range from ~100/session at a shop to $20-50 for people who do it occasionally to some do it for free or whatever you want to toss 'em. If you can find the last, this is cheapest, but usually it's expensive.

Remote: some people can do a remote code, you get a cable and they'll send you a virtual machine and do everything with Remote Desktop. This is easiest, but you'll pay for the time and the cable itself. Usually most expensive.

DIY: as usual, cheapest. You can get a cable for $50-100 bucks. For $100, you know it'll work (there's one shop everyone uses, missing the link now), but for $50 many more have had good luck than bad. I can send you my amazon link if I can dig it up. Advantage here is its $50 once for all the coding you ever need, but that's only if you can handle the setup headache. Of course, if you can't, you now have a cable for remote coding.

EDIT: Ahh, just noticed you said looking at LEARNING coding, not looking at coding.

There are a bunch of beginner threads in the coding section, and a couple are stickied. The trickiest part is finding a package with all the software and data files in one spot. Unfortunately all the software is copyright not-us, so nobody's willing to provide any easy links, kinda gotta do some hunting . It's not terribly hard though.

Last edited by alexwhittemore; 06-10-2013 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #486
jpope42
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535

Garage List
2014 535i  [0.00]
2010 528i  [0.00]
So I studied this thread for a couple of weeks and have slowly been retrofitting my 2010 E90 (which had the mulf2 but no idrive or telephone prep) with bluetooth. So far everything has gone smoothly. First I got the coding done to be sure bt would work in my car. Success! I paired my phone. Next, I bought the bt antenna, ordered the smb cable (something like $.30 with $5 shipping from China), found a place to order the mic and ran the cable (not as big a pita as I thought).

I think my biggest problem is going to be getting the fzd down to mount the mic when it comes in. I searched and can't really find a description of how to get the thing out. I must be pretty stupid, 'cause no one else seems to have an issue with it, but I struggled for an hour today and gave up because I was getting frustrated & didn't want to break something. What obvious thing am I missing???

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #487
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpope42 View Post
What obvious thing am I missing???

Thanks
Not you, it's a big PITA. It clips into the headliner with a pair of metal clips much like the clip on the battery door of your TV remote. They're somewhere a bit inside in-line with the map lights.

There are two ways you can do it. 1) pop the light covers out, reach in with a metal hook (bent hanger, etc), and pop each clip, or 2) and my preferred method, pull down the headliner a bit by undoing the screws in the sun visor clips, pulling the headliner straight DOWN 1-2 inches, then finding the tabs from behind and pushing them with your finger.
      06-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #488
xxxjecxxx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpope42 View Post
So I studied this thread for a couple of weeks and have slowly been retrofitting my 2010 E90 (which had the mulf2 but no idrive or telephone prep) with bluetooth. So far everything has gone smoothly. First I got the coding done to be sure bt would work in my car. Success! I paired my phone. Next, I bought the bt antenna, ordered the smb cable (something like $.30 with $5 shipping from China), found a place to order the mic and ran the cable (not as big a pita as I thought).

I think my biggest problem is going to be getting the fzd down to mount the mic when it comes in. I searched and can't really find a description of how to get the thing out. I must be pretty stupid, 'cause no one else seems to have an issue with it, but I struggled for an hour today and gave up because I was getting frustrated & didn't want to break something. What obvious thing am I missing???

Thanks
Glad to hear everything is working now.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #489
jpope42
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 535i  [0.00]
2010 528i  [0.00]
Thanks Alex, good to know I'm not missing something. I should get the mic in a couple of weeks & I'll make another run at it. And thanks to xxxjecxxx for the coding. It all works great and he added a few cool features to the car!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #490
jpope42
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 535i  [0.00]
2010 528i  [0.00]
Got the mic & completed the install today. I used Alex's method to get the fzd down. The hardest part was figuring out how to get the dummy mic out until i realized that there's a little clip that holds it in. Everything now works great! Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #491
zatchmo
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 328xi

Chalk up another successful coding of this option. Added $644 to the VO, did an SG_RESET on the 2URAD and 2ULF and let the car sleep overnight. This morning, sure enough, phone option was there and the buttons on my steering wheel work. No antenna or mic yet, that part of the install is for another day.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #492
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
Question

I actually didn't realize there are TWO very similar threads started on this site by the same OP with the same material; the "other" thread only at 11 pages but divergent with mostly different types of posts.

Anywho, I followed Dracon's posts #265 and #266 and installed a 2011 GSM TCU, 2011 FZD with mic, plus requisite supporting components. Simply repowering the vehicle with no programming whatsoever I got telephone, voice recognition, and Bluetooth running and was able to pair my phone and make/receive calls, but the mic is not working.

I've read about many experiencing non-functioning mics requiring wiring/connection modifications, but it seems this is for MULF-only Bluetooth retrofits.

My US non-iDrive 2008 335i has 640A Telephone prep and 6FLA USB/Audio Interface, meaning it already has a MULF with Bluetooth. I believe this is the source of the mic issue and hopefully should be fixed with proper programming.

But I've never coded any VO's before; just registered a new battery with the same specs.

I am assuming I need to add VO $639 to CAS and NFRM, but do I need to manually remove VO $644? Are there any other modules I need to code? I've read and watched the 2RAD being coded, but this appears to be with MULF-only retrofits so I don't know if this is necessary for TCU retrofits.

Do I need to do any other coding and/or SG_RESET? And if so, what are those actual steps; remember, I'm a noob so I need explicit instructions!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #493
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
I actually didn't realize there are TWO very similar threads started on this site by the same OP with the same material; the "other" thread only at 11 pages but divergent with mostly different types of posts.

Anywho, I followed Dracon's posts #265 and #266 and installed a 2011 GSM TCU, 2011 FZD with mic, plus requisite supporting components. Simply repowering the vehicle with no programming whatsoever I got telephone, voice recognition, and Bluetooth running and was able to pair my phone and make/receive calls, but the mic is not working.

I've read about many experiencing non-functioning mics requiring wiring/connection modifications, but it seems this is for MULF-only Bluetooth retrofits.

My US non-iDrive 2008 335i has 640A Telephone prep and 6FLA USB/Audio Interface, meaning it already has a MULF with Bluetooth. I believe this is the source of the mic issue and hopefully should be fixed with proper programming.

But I've never coded any VO's before; just registered a new battery with the same specs.

I am assuming I need to add VO $639 to CAS and NFRM, but do I need to manually remove VO $644? Are there any other modules I need to code? I've read and watched the 2RAD being coded, but this appears to be with MULF-only retrofits so I don't know if this is necessary for TCU retrofits.

Do I need to do any other coding and/or SG_RESET? And if so, what are those actual steps; remember, I'm a noob so I need explicit instructions!
I think, but I'm not sure, if you installed a TCU that takes over telephone functionality from the MULF. If that's true, it may require rewiring the mic to the TCU instead of the MULF. If it's not true, I don't think there's any reason you needed to buy and install the TCU (unless you want BWM Assist).
      09-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #494
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
If you read the original post, it clearly states that an FZD and TCU is the only way for US vehicles. Of course, it was only after I bought the FZD, TCU and more thorough reading of the individual posts (but only because I was specifically looking for mic-related issues and coding guidance) that I was able to piece together that if the E90 already had the USB/Audio Interface package it should already have a Bluetooth equipped MULF.

Eh, it's done and the TCU and FZD are in place. They were both from salvaged vehicles and $125 for the TCU and $125 for the FZD, with the FZD already coming with the mic.

I am assuming that with the 640A telephone prep package, that installing the FZD, TCU and proper programming is all that would be necessary with no "rewiring" of the mic necessary; you would "think" that's what BMW designed in order to make it as easy as possible for their techs in retrofits, and their technical instruction bulletin detailing the procedures for retrofitting a TCU into a SA640A E9x corroborate that. Of course, this may not at all be the case...

Anywho, I want to start with programming first before I start hacking into connector pin-outs.

Last edited by Augster; 09-26-2013 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #495
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If you read the original post, it clearly states that an FZD and TCU is the only way for US vehicles. Of course, it was only after I bought the FZD, TCU and more thorough reading of the individual posts (but only because I was specifically looking for mic-related issues and coding guidance) that I was able to piece together that if the E90 already had the USB/Audio Interface package it should already have a Bluetooth equipped MULF.

Eh, it's done and the TCU and FZD are in place. They were both from salvaged vehicles and $125 for the TCU and $125 for the FZD, with the FZD already coming with the mic.

I am assuming that with the 640A telephone prep package, that installing the FZD, TCU and proper programming is all that would be necessary with no "rewiring" of the mic necessary; you would "think" that's what BMW designed in order to make it as easy as possible for their techs in retrofits, and their technical instruction bulletin detailing the procedures for retrofitting a TCU into a SA640A E9x corroborate that. Of course, this may not at all be the case...

Anywho, I want to start with programming first before I start hacking into connector pin-outs.
Have you seen their retrofit guides though? The difference between repinning the mic and not repinning it is like, two minutes tops when you have perfect, explicit step-by-step instructions

Unfortunately it's a PITA when you don't know whether or not you have to do it in the first place.
      09-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #496
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Alex is right and I can account for that. You are actually doing an exact retrofit as Alex did with his car. If I remember correctly you'd have to gather a mic wiring to your fzd unit as well for the mic to work. Now why not just use one of the modules only since you are looking to add only Bluetooth functionality. Kind of redundant to have both modules when one can do the same. Not that they can't coexist in the same car but your gonna have to do a lot of reconnecting and figuring where wires go. Is the car pre-wired for a TCU ie the SA640 prep option?
      09-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #497
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
@PichaDis11:

As I already mentioned, if a person unfamiliar with Bluetooth retrofit reads the first post of this thread it clearly states that all US-spec cars need to follow the TCU and FZD path: no exceptions. That person will have to read each post thereafter to potentially glean the nugget of information that E90's with the USB/Audio Interface may get away with simply adding custom-made wiring to get the mic working, but even then, it wasn't overtly apparent from someone already under the impression that a TCU and FZD are required components. The first post should definitely be modified to indicate there are other options. Actually, I was using a different thread from the exact same OP on these very same forums that did NOT mention anything about E90's with built-in Bluetooth in pre-installed MULFs; it was only after the fact that I stumbled across this more detailed parallel thread.

And again, I already stated I already bought those components based on the first post; in fact, I already installed those components when I came across the non-working mic issue.

Since I didn't buy new modules so I didn't spend too much, and I'm not going to remove everything (it's a PITA to remove the non-folding backseat) and redo the MOST connections to original, I just want to get the mic working. What's done is done.

@Alexwhittemore:

Those step-by-step instructions that I'm aware of only apply to taking the existing MULF and getting the mic to work, but I don't want to undo everything I've already done. What steps are needed to transfer the mic input from the MULF to the TCU? I've added $639 and removed $640 VO from CAS and NFRM but that did not resolve the mic issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #498
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:

**Clipped *

@Alexwhittemore:

Those step-by-step instructions that I'm aware of only apply to taking the existing MULF and getting the mic to work, but I don't want to undo everything I've already done. What steps are needed to transfer the mic input from the MULF to the TCU? I've added $639 and removed $640 VO from CAS and NFRM but that did not resolve the mic issue.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660738

Coding wouldn't resolve that issue as the mic is still physically routed to the Mulf module. The link posted above should help in locating the wires for the microphone that you need to transfer.

GL
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #499
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Coding wouldn't resolve that issue as the mic is still physically routed to the Mulf module.
I honestly didn't think it was a coding issue, but someone on a different forum suggested that it could be the issue. Didn't hurt to try, and besides, I now have the correct VO coded, in case it matters for something else in the future.

I will run that link down whenever I get the chance and report back...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #500
phatflyer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d

idrive but no BT

Hi guys, I guess this is maybe best place to ask?

I have just brought a 320d M sport coupe, i had been searching for some time as i wanted a lateish car in black with black leather, i drive and phone prep. In the end i have had to comprimise as the exact car in my price range could not be found.
So what i have ended up with is an Oct 2010 car with professional satnav i drive but no bluetooth phone prep.
So i need to retrofit it and thought whilst im doing that why not a USB at the same time, i have read much on retro fitting the BT but i am a little confused as most threads refer to the professional radio and not the idrive also some people say that the later head units have BT internaly?
I am reasonably confident to have a go at doing this myself but just need a little advice on parts required etc, any help much appreciated*

Thanks
PF
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #501
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Dension gateway 500 s BT or mobridge

Will give you hands free phone , bluetooth music streaming, usb and ipod all in
one unit. Works with radio or idrive.

You may want to get in touch with makan00 for programing or installation
he is in London.
Also he can answer most of your questions.
See his sticky in the UK section for coding he lists what he can do which
looks to be most anything.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704363

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687463

Last edited by ctuna; 11-05-2013 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #502
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatflyer View Post
I am reasonably confident to have a go at doing this myself but just need a little advice on parts required etc, any help much appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Big caveat here: IF you happen to have 6FL (USB for MP3s on flash drive or iPod), you've already got most of the hardware for bluetooth and for maybe $100 in parts you can retrofit bluetooth.

If you DON'T, the control module is like $200 used PLUS the $100 in other hardware, and you're probably just better off going with the Gateway 500.

I had a MULF from the factory and did the BT retrofit, and the feature set on the aftermarket units is still such that I might consider upgrading to one in the future.
      11-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #503
phatflyer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d

Thanks Guys

I will look into those options

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #504
kenlandrum
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Big caveat here: IF you happen to have 6FL (USB for MP3s on flash drive or iPod), you've already got most of the hardware for bluetooth and for maybe $100 in parts you can retrofit bluetooth.

If you DON'T, the control module is like $200 used PLUS the $100 in other hardware, and you're probably just better off going with the Gateway 500.

I had a MULF from the factory and did the BT retrofit, and the feature set on the aftermarket units is still such that I might consider upgrading to one in the future.
So just to be clear... I have a 2011 3281 with 6FL (born 4-11-11)
My radio has a bluetooth symbol on it. So I need to have $644 coded into my car and add a mic? That's it?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #505
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlandrum View Post
So just to be clear... I have a 2011 3281 with 6FL (born 4-11-11)
My radio has a bluetooth symbol on it. So I need to have $644 coded into my car and add a mic? That's it?

Thanks in advance.
yep, that should be the case.
      11-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #506
kenlandrum
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
yep, that should be the case.
So I'm guessing the smart thing to do would be:

1st) get code changed, I should be able to pair my phone? Will I also need an antenna? If no antenna is needed I guess I should just be able to pair with no mic.

2nd) add the mic (84 31 6 938 762)

3rd) enjoy my new fully integrated BT
Appreciate 0