Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > DPE Fitments for lowered E90s

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
DPE Fitments for lowered E90s

Has anyone with DPEs on a lowered E90 experienced rubbing on the rears with an 'oversized' 265 and resolved the problem by switching to a 'standard' 265? I just had DPE GT7s/Eagle F1s installed on my car and the rears rub on just about every turn and over bumps. I am also running PSS9s. I had the plastic trim pushed back inside my rear fenders, and raised the car up some from its previous setting, but the rear tires still rub. The rear wheels currently stick out past the fenders, but DPE and the vendor claim that the rubbing is the result of me using an oversized tire, and that my problem will be resolved by switching to another tire brand. I am skeptical, not to mention the fact that I think the rear offset so aggressive that it's visually unappealing. I also find it unreasonable for DPE to expect customers to cherry pick specific tire brands within a nominal size without advising their customers of this in advance.

I plan to post some pictures later. If anyone has successfully addressed the same problem by switching tire brands, I would appreciate any information you can give, and possibly photos of your setup so that I can see how your rear wheels are aligned in comparison to your fenders.

I am not gaining much traction with DPE in terms of returning the wheels to get some with offsets that will work for me--they have offered to measure them and correct them if they are out of spec, but if I send them back and DPE determines that the offset is true to their spec, I have to pay for shipping both ways. Given the history I have had with these wheels (the wheels took almost 10 weeks to arrive; the finish was not true to the advertised color [I was advised of this when I called DPE to check on the status of the wheels, and I decided to accept the wheels so I could get them on the car before fall]; the wheels arrived with some minor scuffing and blemishes on the lips; I was told the wheels would ship "tomorrow" and then I had to remind DPE to ship the wheels a week after "tomorrow"), I don't trust that I will get a fair assessment of the offset if I send the wheels back. The wheels may end up being for sale if someone likes the offset and thinks they can get the rear wheels to work satisfactorily on their car.

Sorry for rambling. I just want to get some feedback before I consider risking buying another set of tires. Thanks for any input! BTW, I refuse to roll my fenders, so please don't advise me to do that
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
What are the offsets of the wheels? Have you tried adjusting your camber in the rear to get the top edge of the tire inside the fender?
      09-26-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Tropicool
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO M3

weird, im running 275 on my coupe which has +5mm less room than the e90 and im not rubbing at all. Toyo tires are known to be more rounded- some tires are more square shaped.

try some toyos and maybe some negative camber
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
you can try toyos or falken tires.... they are more rounded around the corners...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
What are the offsets of the wheels? Have you tried adjusting your camber in the rear to get the top edge of the tire inside the fender?
I'm not supposed to say because DPE's offsets are proprietary. I will say that the rears are 19x10 and the offsets are alleged to be some number greater than +30 -- I don't believe it. There is already some degree of negative camber, but I don't want to be excessive with it and wear my tires out prematurely. I am going to post some photos as soon as I get them hosted.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
These were taken at the shop to show DPE that the rim is actually slightly beyond the fender--it actually looks worse in person, and I don't know if the pictures really capture the relative spacing of the fenders and lips well enough. Anyone who has seen a 265 stretched on a 10" rim knows that the rim is not covered by the tire, but DPE maintains that all the pictures show is that the tire sticks out too far. The installer/shop manager even thinks the offset is too aggressive regardless of the tire choice, and he has no stake in this because I didn't buy the tires from his shop. Maybe we're both crazy and DPE is right I've had several unpleasant exchanges (on my end) with DPE mainly because I'm p*ssed that they would make an offset so sensitive to tire brands without informing the customer, if this is in fact the correct offset. Let me know what you think. Thanks again to all who have contributed.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
e92man
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: modded e92 335i coupe

Garage List
wow that looks kinda aggresive. i am on a 35 offset on my coupe with a 10inch wheel and a 275 and it is fairly tucked in
e92 335i jet black, coral red, aluminum, sport, step, paddles, heated seats, pdc, bmw aluminum pedals, oem aero kit front lip, 19' miro type 366 hamann race edition reps, H&R sport springs, 15% tints, vorsteiner rear deck spoiler, custom front pdc

"The only cars that should be yellow are taxi cabs and school busses."
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
roll your fenders. i bet its only rubbing a lil bit. you rear wheels looks like they do not have any negative camber at all. was it adjusted to zero? im sure if you roll your fenders you should be ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #9
StylePoints
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
roll your fenders. i bet its only rubbing a lil bit. you rear wheels looks like they do not have any negative camber at all. was it adjusted to zero? im sure if you roll your fenders you should be ok.
Um if you are slammed on the rear it is almost impossible to have zero camber. The best I could get it was -2.5 in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 04:39 AM   #10
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
Thanks, but I said in my initial post that I am not willing to roll my fenders. I'm not risking paint damage (no matter how unlikely) to accommodate wheels. I should not have to alter the structure of my car to fit a product that is supposedly custom made to fit. They are rubbing on nearly every turn at speed and over every bump with no one in the back and nothing in the trunk--that's more than 'a little bit' to me. In person, it certainly appears to have some negative camber and the alignment was done within factory specs, but I'm not going to run some insane degree of negative camber that's going to prematurely cup the tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 07:27 AM   #11
all8up
Ironchef
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 C

Garage List
2022 M4 C  [0.00]
The last two pictures show the lip of the rim outside the fender of the car and from the looks of it, it is about .25"-.5".
With that said, I do not think you should roll your fenders or dial in negative camber since you purchased a custom wheel that is supposed to fit without any issue. Additionally, if I were to take a guess, the rear wheels look like they are an E46 M3 fitment. Unforuntately it looks like Iforged is not the only brand with QA issues. Considering the steep cost of admission with DPE; I really hope they resolve this for you.
07 E90 335, UR Exh, Helix IC, Bav Sport Coils, iForged Swift- sold
E46 M3 - gone and always missed
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 09:18 AM   #12
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

When the wheels sticks out passed the fenders like yours does, the offset are just wrong and too aggresive.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #13
creativeautoworks
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ibis White 2007 Audi A4 S-Line

Since it looks like your stick with the rims, you should ask DPE if they are willing to shave the back pad slightly, maybe 3mm to give it a less aggressive offset.

when you ordered your rims, did you ask for an aggressive setup?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeautoworks View Post
Since it looks like your stick with the rims, you should ask DPE if they are willing to shave the back pad slightly, maybe 3mm to give it a less aggressive offset.

when you ordered your rims, did you ask for an aggressive setup?
I did not ask for an aggressive offset. I did tell them the car would be lowered and to consider that when making the wheels. They recently agreed to allow my shop to measure the offset and to correct the wheels if they are out of spec. We'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #15
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

10-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #16
mean335
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i

I had this same problem on my old e46. JLevi sent me an M3 offset of wheels.. so the back (when I was running 265) was rubbing on turns and little bumps. Then then corrected the problem. I was also running eagle F1's, great tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #17
brokemywallet
Slaveaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I

yeah, those offsets do not look right at all. I would definitely get dpe to do something, because "visually" speaking they should not be sticking out past the fender (unless you wanted it that way, which it seems like you did not).

you shouldn't have to be doing all the leg work for their mistake. did you email them the pictures??
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 01:03 PM   #18
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

I will give you the advice that everyone here gives if a dealsership makes the same sort of mistake. Demand all you money plus extra because they messed up and you spent money getting them mounted an balanced. I would also contact who I bought them from and demand they handle this like you would expect just like if you bought an OEM part that did not fit you would expect the dealership to fix the problem not you. You should demand the same thing from the vendor who made a lot of money on you.

I also can not believe the rim was not the right color and scuffed when you got it. What are they morons at DPE? Top quality my ass. It seems DPE and I-Forged both really fuck their own customers which is crazy. I hope you get it fixed man and I would refuse to roll my fenders for their mistake.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #19
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 JKU Wrangler

Garage List
Offset looks killer IMO ... but it seems you dont like aggressive fitment. any chance we can see some side shots ... I know its little off topic but the wheels look hot. Also I agree with Long looks like no camber in the rear and rolling fenders would be the easiest fix. Rolling fenders isnt as big as a deal as you might think as any wheel shop that does it should be able to do it without any paint damage what so ever.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #20
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

You may want to do a 4 wheel alignment and make sure you've got a little negative camber first. Just a thought; my car's an e92 so I can't comment on the e90 issue you're having, but my DPEs are similarly fit without rubbing. 2.8 degree negative camber.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 12:04 AM   #21
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
You may want to do a 4 wheel alignment and make sure you've got a little negative camber first. Just a thought; my car's an e92 so I can't comment on the e90 issue you're having, but my DPEs are similarly fit without rubbing. 2.8 degree negative camber.
I have the stock wheels back on now--there is plenty of negative camber-easy to swee with the stock wheels on. I was told mine is set at -2.8.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 12:15 AM   #22
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3This View Post
Offset looks killer IMO ... but it seems you dont like aggressive fitment. any chance we can see some side shots ... I know its little off topic but the wheels look hot. Also I agree with Long looks like no camber in the rear and rolling fenders would be the easiest fix. Rolling fenders isnt as big as a deal as you might think as any wheel shop that does it should be able to do it without any paint damage what so ever.
Thanks for the input. I do like agressive fitments, as long as they don't rub. If it rubs or requires running insane camber, it's beyond agressive--it's an improper fitment IMO. It really doesn't matter to me that a wheel shop SHOULD be able to roll the fenders with no issues. I'm not taking the chance, nor should I have to alter the car--the wheels are supposed to fit as is. This is more of a matter of principle to me than anything else. Unfortunately, I won't have any side shots b/c the wheels are already off waiting for DPE to calculate the offsets based on the shop's measurements. My camber is set at -2.8 degrees--it's very easy to see now that i have the stockers back on.
Appreciate 0