E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DTC

11-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
Greg 1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320 se d sparkling graphite

Exclamation DTC

[B]DTC Just had a thought when i was test driving my 320d 163 bhp car i asked the sales man how fast ? and he told me take of DTC baring in mind it was raining and we all know a rear wheel drive more so in the rain will lose the back end i hate to admit this this took my cofidence away to drive faster . QUESTION is the car faster with the DTC off ? id like to know how many of you drive with it on or off what are the pros and cons of it and if your trying to get ahead of the car next to you do you trun it off ? what dose DTC do ? I know if a wheel spins it takes off the power from that wheel and gives it to the rest hence corecting the spin and back end loss
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

Are you for REAL??

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
grey man
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E 91 335d SE

Believe me - if you don't know what DTC does ... leave it alone (i.e. ON)

If you find out what it used to do after you have turned it off - it might be very unpleasant as its very good at doing what it does in a professional and unobtrusive manner!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

I've yet to turn mine off.

It cuts in all the time. That's a good thing if you ask me. Wet greasy country roads, turning right across chevrons on to main road, or high speed on motorway when you hit standing water.......all good.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey man View Post
Believe me - if you don't know what DTC does ... leave it alone (i.e. ON)

If you find out what it used to do after you have turned it off - it might be very unpleasant as its very good at doing what it does in a professional and unobtrusive manner!
What he said! If you don't have experience handling cars with no DTC then it's probably best left untouched. The only way you'll progress quicker is if you think your right foot can modulate the power for maximum traction quicker than the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
I drive with mine off when it's dry...

I run with a quaife LSD diff though... so lots more traction at all times.

But then given how fast i lost the jag, it doesn't matter HOW good you are... mistakes can and will happen.

Just be careful when you try it...

SJ
      11-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
I've yet to turn mine off.

It cuts in all the time. That's a good thing if you ask me. Wet greasy country roads, turning right across chevrons on to main road, or high speed on motorway when you hit standing water.......all good.
This man talks sense if you value your life.

I have it off on track when its dry.

It does hold you back out of tight bends or greasy roundabouts, but does stop you piroetting into the hedge also.
      11-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

pretty much the same as everyone else really

- off in the dry ( as Serjames says, the LSD has an enormous threshold before it looses grip )

- ON IN THE WET !!!!

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
alecs1105
Alex
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Garage List
2006 335i  [0.00]
DTC is off by default

i know you guys know but just to keep it accurate, courtesy of BMW :

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) allows for sports-style driving dynamics even when DSC is controlling stability and when wheel traction is higher.

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is a sub-function of the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system that can be turned on and off. DTC has two major uses: to regulate traction and to enable sports-style driving while providing active stability control.
If the front wheels are stuck in snow and cannot spin properly, this leads to slip on the rear wheels (when they spin faster than the front wheels, generally a sign that performance has been exceeded) and DSC acts to change engine output: the power needed for forward movement is reduced. Switching to DTC has a positive effect on this situation, as traction is improved without a loss of power.
When DTC is on, it helps the driver alleviate the situation enough for DSC's measures to become effective. The driver retains complete control over the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
Robin
Need more powwweeeerrrr!
England
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SE

I find mine to be highly intrusive, I have a heavy right foot and it's always switched off, or it doesn't allow me to drive how I want.

In the snow, I left it on, and with just a little too much throttle, ended up backwards on a roundabout after the DTC grabbed the rear brakes and the car spun.

On wet/greasy roads, the middle setting (press the button) I have found to be best, as it allows some control and doesn't just jam the anchors on mid slide.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel more confident with it on at speed, but off under 70 (not that I've exceeded that of course, only on track)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 03:03 AM   #11
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I find mine to be highly intrusive, I have a heavy right foot and it's always switched off, or it doesn't allow me to drive how I want.

In the snow, I left it on, and with just a little too much throttle, ended up backwards on a roundabout after the DTC grabbed the rear brakes and the car spun.

On wet/greasy roads, the middle setting (press the button) I have found to be best, as it allows some control and doesn't just jam the anchors on mid slide.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel more confident with it on at speed, but off under 70 (not that I've exceeded that of course, only on track)
Not just you, pretty much how I handle mine most the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
[B]DTC Just had a thought when i was test driving my 320d 163 bhp car i asked the sales man how fast ? and he told me take of DTC baring in mind it was raining and we all know a rear wheel drive more so in the rain will lose the back end i hate to admit this this took my cofidence away to drive faster . QUESTION is the car faster with the DTC off ? id like to know how many of you drive with it on or off what are the pros and cons of it and if your trying to get ahead of the car next to you do you trun it off ? what dose DTC do ? I know if a wheel spins it takes off the power from that wheel and gives it to the rest hence corecting the spin and back end loss
When you start the car the stability systems (DSC+) are all active.

If you press the DTC button it switches to a less intrusive software map for the stability aids. This allows more wheel spin, mainly by delaying the point at which the software reduces the engine power to regain grip.

Officially it's for driving on loose surfaces (eg gravel and snow) where cutting the engine power would impede progress. In reality it's a way to provide a little bit more fun for an enthusiastic driver, because more oversteer and wheelspin is allowed, but if you really overcook it the stability systems can still help you out (to some extent).

If you press and hold the button for about 5 secs all of the stability systems (except ABS) are switched off and you are on your own when it comes to car control.

I took my car to Snetterton earlier this year and with the stability systems fully engaged I was struggling to get any power out of the corners. Activating DTC made things a little more lively, but it also allowed me to keep the revs high and wind the power on properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 11:51 PM   #13
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
I drive with mine off when it's dry...

I run with a quaife LSD diff though... so lots more traction at all times.

But then given how fast i lost the jag, it doesn't matter HOW good you are... mistakes can and will happen.

Just be careful when you try it...

SJ
Quaife!
Appreciate 0