E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Few mods im thinking of...opinions please

08-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
cormac07
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 58' Reg 320i MSport Le Mans Bl

Few mods im thinking of...opinions please

Hi Guys

Im thinking of adding a genuine M3 rear lip spoiler and performance breaks kit to my 58 le mans blue msport coupe, could anybody tell me how much each of these would cost as I really want them? and also does anybody know would these mods increase my insurance?? oh and can we get the new e93 front led lights yet?

Sorry about all the questions,

I would really appreciate any help or advice ye may have as im in the dark on this one.

thanks a million

Cormac
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

With most insurers now, almost any mod will up the premium.
Expect maybe 10% pa on those two.

Try SSDD Motorsport for the lip spoiler, supplied painted - I have one from them and its perfect fit and colour.

Alcon/AP or similar brakes will cost around £2000 or more. BMW option a bit less but arguably not so good.
Why do you think you need the brakes, you do a lot of track work?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
cormac07
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

thanks for the info mjBr, to be honest I dont do any track driving but i really like the look of the performance breaks on the coupes what do you think? does anybody have any pictures of the alcon/ap brakes??
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I got the genuine M3 lip spoiler supplied, fitted and sprayed by dealer for about £300 I think. I know there are some good replicas about but there are also some cheap rubbish which worried me so I went genuine.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Breaks???
      08-15-2010, 02:20 AM   #6
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Breaks???
maybe he's going to fit bumbers too?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

i know it's slightly frowned upon but for such a minor minor modification.. i wouldn't bother telling insurance about the m3 lip.

i would put it in the same box as changing your bulbs, or perhaps painting callipers..

breaks though.. different story. it should of course, if we lived in a sane world, bring your premiums down.. but alas they're all ** and will put it up regardless. grr.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
A335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

SSDD do great replica M3 boot lip. From memory, I think you can get supplied and painted for less than £100. The OEM M3 one is around £130 by itself.

The BMW performance brake kit is around £1200 I think and a few dealers i.e Synther do 15% of all BMW performance parts. This will be a massive improvement from the 320 ones and if you don't track then I would not even consider Alcons or AP's because the Performance ones are fantastic value for what they are and have equally, if not better, looks than any BBK out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
cormac07
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

thanks guys for your help, I think im going to go for the genuine M3 lip spolier and get it fitted I think I herd it costs about £180 does this sound right?

Thanks for the info on the brakes I think i will def go for the BMW ones
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormac07 View Post
thanks guys for your help, I think im going to go for the genuine M3 lip spolier and get it fitted
Why?

Two people just told you the SSDD replica is identical and less than half the price?
Fitting?
You just peel back the paper and press it down!

As for big brakes on a 320d, I just dont get it.
My brand new 318d stops on a penny. I can lock on the ABS anywhere, any speed.
So the limiting factor is almost certainly the rubber and suspension, not the size of the calipers

Hey, your money
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
andyp74199
munich leg end
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
Why?

Two people just told you the SSDD replica is identical and less than half the price?
Fitting?

So the limiting factor is almost certainly the rubber and suspension, not the size of the calipers

Hey, your money
yes and i think id rather stick it down myself than leave it to some monkey in the dealer..no offence dealers but we ve all seen enough number plates stuck on 'skew wiff' so to speak
      08-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
A335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
Why?

Fitting?

In all honesty if I had to get my lip spoiler again I would definitely go with the OEM M3 one, despite it being twice the price. I bet over 95% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the OEM and replica, however, there is a noticeable difference.

It took me over a year to see it, however, when I parked next to an M3 once you can just tell the difference, the OEM flows better because it has a better design, even minimal, still better. Also sometimes with these replica's you can tell it's just been stuck on, nevertheless, when you look at the ones on the M3 it looks as it has been bonded, absolutely no signs of lift anywhere.

Also when you think of tuning people often think of trying to maximise power. If the OP said he's going to remap his car then this would just be standard. However, upgrading your brakes is equally as important, in my view, as wanting, for instance, to map your car. If I were to re mod my car again, I would now leave the BHP increase to last and braking improvement would be higher up my list than a remap. Even if I decided not to remap my car, I don't think I would be in a position where I would question better stopping power on the roads no matter what car it was on.
Appreciate 0