E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > steering wheel droning

09-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
steering wheel droning

I need some help with validation of the steering wheel droning at a stop or slow speed when pulling out of the parking. This applies to 3 series but I am looking for 328i 2007 or newer. My 335 does a little bit but only noticeable if you're picky like me. 328i is a different story. The steering wheel will vibrate and the droning is loud enough that it is embarrasing to drive co'z the passengers notice it and hear it. It sounds terrible. Not something you would expect from a BMW.

Please try the following.

With the engine running, apply the brakes and turn the steering wheel left to right slowly as you would normally do when pulling out of a parking spot. Please try this in park, Drive and reverse.

Also, please try this with the AC on and with the AC off to see if it makes any diference with the droning and vibration. I tried it with my 328i and the droning was actually less compared to when the AC is on.

My car is still at the dealership to fix this problem. The possible cause was the AC unit low in refrigerant. Well, the AC unit was low and they had to discharge and vacuum and then recharge the unit. They also said they didn't find any leak. Why did the AC unit lose the charge? That didn't help. Next, they said BMW reccommended replacing some of the power steering fluid with LUBRISOL. That also failed.

I just need to verify that the 328i were just badly built with a terrible power steering unit and pull my wife's car out of the dealer. But if not all 328i's make this droning and vibration from the steering wheel, then BMW should be made aware so they can remedy the problem.

Thank you all in advance. greatly appreciate it.
Appreciate 0