E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition good for 57 mpg

08-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #45
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

what's so awesome is that for this engine the ptronic unit adds 49 hp and 72 torques, or totals of 212 hp and 322 ft-lbs, meaning the car will accelerate more like the 123d when tuned, ie mid to high 6s to 60 and on the hwy when the pedals not down hard the mileage will be almost the same, ptronic even advertises a reduction in fuel consumption of 15%!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #46
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I think its not the Germans, its the stupid american marketeers hired as BMW USA managers, who are bragging every day that they are the best marketing people because this is where USA excels, when in fact I have never seen a more restricted and crippled market than the USA market. US citizens are just prisoners of some games played by incompetent marketing people. They don't care about what the customers want, they only care about how to cut costs. If only someone could evaluate the immense damage some of these manager have done by not selling in the US the best and most economical cars that the world has to offer, while in turn talking about "green", "blue" and low fuel consumption...
well put
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #47
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
what's so awesome is that for this engine the ptronic unit adds 49 hp and 72 torques, or totals of 212 hp and 322 ft-lbs, meaning the car will accelerate more like the 123d when tuned, ie mid to high 6s to 60 and on the hwy when the pedals not down hard the mileage will be almost the same, ptronic even advertises a reduction in fuel consumption of 15%!
The 15% lower consumption comes at the expense of the higher emissions. The car will never pass emissions with that modification.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #48
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

well it's a simple plug in device like your standard SSTT or JB+ so just take it out and pass emissions- here's what people don't realize though- yes new diesels have to pass California's stringent emissions to be sold in cali but what people don't realize is after that point, diesels, all of them, are smog test exempt in california!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #49
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

I *love* those wheels, are they new to the 320d?
      08-23-2009, 01:08 AM   #50
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
well it's a simple plug in device like your standard SSTT or JB+ so just take it out and pass emissions- here's what people don't realize though- yes new diesels have to pass California's stringent emissions to be sold in cali but what people don't realize is after that point, diesels, all of them, are smog test exempt in california!!!
Huh? Are you saying I will never have to smog my 335d?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 01:32 AM   #51
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Starting 2010, diesels will have to get smogged in CA. They have been exempt up till now.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #52
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I think its not the Germans, its the stupid american marketeers hired as BMW USA managers, who are bragging every day that they are the best marketing people because this is where USA excels, when in fact I have never seen a more restricted and crippled market than the USA market. US citizens are just prisoners of some games played by incompetent marketing people. They don't care about what the customers want, they only care about how to cut costs. If only someone could evaluate the immense damage some of these manager have done by not selling in the US the best and most economical cars that the world has to offer, while in turn talking about "green", "blue" and low fuel consumption...
+1, although there are some deeper political issues here. The battles over sulfur content, the tech lag of US automakers in this area, the bizarre culture wars (buying a Hummer is patriotic?!), the slower movement by Euro companies (compared with Honda/Toyota/Nissan) to meld into the US by building factories and joint ventures, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #53
Peej
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: VW Golf 3 Cab.

i drove a 320d auto (not the efficient dynamics version)
[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nZBAtBtQAMI&hl=nl&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nZBAtBtQAMI&hl=nl&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

this is 0-100 (0-62) in ds and d mode. i love this car!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #54
tomegun
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528, 428 GC

Garage List
2014 BMW 528i  [0.00]
I think there is more to this than just BMW's North American marketing department. I would be willing to bet the government has something to do with this. Also, some "lobbyists" might be making some contributions to the right people in the government and the NA marketing department.

For all the talk about CARS and everything else, I don't think certain people in power want to see a car like this here. It would cost some powerful people a lot of money - they would lose money at the pump and from other car sales.

I think many car companies, including Toyota, would indirectly pitch in to line the pockets of the right people to block this car and others like it.

I know I have a habit of thinking to the extreme, but I think apalling things happen behind the scenes. Actually, some things happen in plain sight and they are so severe people don't believe them.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #55
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I think there is more to this than just BMW's North American marketing department. I would be willing to bet the government has something to do with this. Also, some "lobbyists" might be making some contributions to the right people in the government and the NA marketing department.

For all the talk about CARS and everything else, I don't think certain people in power want to see a car like this here. It would cost some powerful people a lot of money - they would lose money at the pump and from other car sales.

I think many car companies, including Toyota, would indirectly pitch in to line the pockets of the right people to block this car and others like it.

I know I have a habit of thinking to the extreme, but I think apalling things happen behind the scenes. Actually, some things happen in plain sight and they are so severe people don't believe them.
I wouldn't be surprised at all were this the case. It's so sad that our system is like this. Anyway, I saw the video above on youtube last night and this is definitely my next car if they bring it here!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #56
bmwbadboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Garage List
1989 325i  [0.00]
2009 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 742 View Post
I don’t think it is the Germans. It is their North American management, particularly their marketing departments.

All of the frustrations that I have had with my German car owning experiences have had their roots not in the mother country, but it their North American Management and their Detroit marketing mindsets.

The Germans need to realize the blindingly obvious—their North American customers are their customers because they want cars that are designed in the European manner. This customer base is a minority, but it is not small. So BMW (and MB and VW): save some money, save your brand and put some of your North American management on short leashes with choker chains. Fire the rest. We want your cars, not Americanized, basterdized mush that has been focus grouped to death.
I could not have said it any better!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #57
tmab
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E320 Beige

IMPORTING

So has anybody tried or successfully imported one of these? I've been trying and only found one person who would even consider it and rough quoted me at 25k(just for the import). I'm not an expert but it seems like these should meet both safety and emission standards in the US right? So they should only require minor changes for labeling and readouts? I'm a total noob at importing but I'm learning lots!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #58
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

^ I don't know the exact rules, but I do know that one reason there are few diesels here is that the manufacturers need to have the engine certified to BIN 5 (I think) standards, enabling them to operate in all 50 states (read CA, MA HI VT, NY and WA I think are the troublesome spots). Most states don't care but those that are the most politically progressive are the ones making diesel a slow transition. Sort of ironic that these "green" states perennially put a damper on one of europe's greenest contributions to transportation- the super high mileage turbodiesel. oh well, end rant.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:27 AM   #59
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
The absence of the 320d in the USA market makes the current "Green" ad campaign a hollow façade. Not that anyone at BMW NA would listen, but we have been suggesting the 320d as a master stroke for public relations that would attract a significant new market segment into BMW showrooms for a long time now. There is a reason why this model is the best selling BMW in Euro.

Just imagine the effect of an advertisement for the 320d with 57 mpg. Maybe with a bit of fun on the 'ring, passing all the supposed fuel efficient cars like Prius, volt etc. Talk about having your cake and eating it to. Best mpg. Fastest acceleration. Most luxurious. Performance handling. Longest range (600+ miles per tank!).

Another good ad might show the 320d going across the USA, NY to LA, on three tanks of fuel while the competition is constantly stopping. The recent high mileage gig from Chicago - NY on one tank in a 335d was pretty cool, but imagine what a 320d could do.

I am so confused by BMW NA.
That is the most obvious statement
This car would eat JDM hybrids for breakfast
There must be some VERY good reason why these cars have not hit the states? Right? Or please tell me the efficient model F30s will finally be available here
BMW is a multi-billionaire corp. and they couldn't possibly be so ignorant...
.........right?
      07-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #60
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamon View Post
I am so confused by BMW NA.
That is the most obvious statement
This car would eat JDM hybrids for breakfast
There must be some VERY good reason why these cars have not hit the states? Right? Or please tell me the efficient model F30s will finally be available here
BMW is a multi-billionaire corp. and they couldn't possibly be so ignorant...
.........right?
I suspect that the management of BMW of North America convinced the Germans that what America really wanted was the X6 and the 5 series GT.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #61
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011 View Post
I'm amazed that BMW hasn't brought any of these awesome cars over to the US...
Oh they will, but BMW has to place it above MINI which means additional price bumps to the existing lineup. This is why I hate all you people who wanted the 1-series.
. Well where qe stand now, why dont they bring this in as a 120d?!?
Appreciate 0