E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > AutoX/Track Days

04-20-2015, 01:54 AM   #1
e92_boost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Smart Car

Hey guys, so I just started going to AutoX events and enjoying my 335i and trying its potential on its stock sport suspension. Can't wait to attend some more AutoX and Track events with some of the crews that go with my good friend and I got an invite to join.

What do you guys recommend to do on it suspension wise? Kind of a newbie when it comes to this since it's my first time and my first season and I can't freaking wait.

Also I'm trying to find a set of 18's Apex ARC-8 as my 19 m359 with 235/265 PSS rub.

Here's a pic of my friends friend gt3
Attached Images

05-05-2015, 01:57 AM   #2
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I say work on driving technique. If you attend the same events as your friend, you'll get a feel on the time differential and work on closing the gap. Hard to replace seat time. Try to get comfortable with looking two to three cones ahead.

Tires will give you the most benefit coming from a completely stock setup. The Bridgestone RE71R are supposed to be the hot tire this season.
      07-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

I would say RS-3 is better. Cost less and you can flip it on the rim since is symmetrical and would last you even longer.
Agree on seat time! But e92 335i is big and heavy so skip the auto x and try the track.
Stock suspension is OK, just get camber plates for the front. For the rear, would rolling the fender help with the rub?

Last edited by feuer; 07-05-2015 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
e92_boost
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer
I would say RS-3 is better. Cost less and you can flip it on the rim since is symmetrical and would last you even longer.
Agree on seat time! But e92 335i is big and heavy so skip the auto x and try the track.
Stock suspension is OK, just get camber plates for the front. For the rear, would rolling the fender help with the rub?
Hey Dan, I'll probably roll my fenders this winter for the next season as I'm changing the body style to m3 and I'll look into the RS3. But I'm interested in Nittos right now. And yes I'm planning on going to the track when I get back from Albania shoot me a text when you plan on going, I'll be back in August 26th.
      07-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_boost View Post
Hey Dan, I'll probably roll my fenders this winter for the next season as I'm changing the body style to m3 and I'll look into the RS3. But I'm interested in Nittos right now. And yes I'm planning on going to the track when I get back from Albania shoot me a text when you plan on going, I'll be back in August 26th.
You can borrow my fender roller. Look into doing it while the wheatear is still nice. When the metal is hot the paint won't chip so do it summer. Also make sure you will protect the surface with some antitrust coating before the salt this winter causes the rub to rust.
There would be few events remaining when you come back. Couple of in Sep and one or two in Oct. I will give you the dates.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 02:36 AM   #6
e92_boost
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer
Quote:
You can borrow my fender roller. Look into doing it while the wheatear is still nice. When the metal is hot the paint won't chip so do it summer. Also make sure you will protect the surface with some antitrust coating before the salt this winter causes the rub to rust.
There would be few events remaining when you come back. Couple of in Sep and one or two in Oct. I will give you the dates.
Thanks bro, hopefully I don't mess up on the fender rolling
      07-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #7
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks bro, hopefully I don't mess up on the fender rolling
You won't mess it up. Balkans are naturally gifted and handy, I'm sure that you will nail it.
Here is track info for you:

SCCA Chicago Region will end its season of Performance Driving Experience track days on Sunday, September 13, at Autobahn Country Club, South Course.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...1#.VZvlBBtVhBc
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #8
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
No, they are not even within the same ballpark. RS3s are garbage and old tires compared to the RE-71Rs and Rival S

You can flip RE-71Rs as well, just FYI since you're data is clearly wrong.

PS - I have data and analytical evidence to back this up

New RS3v2s heat cycle out in less than 150 runs. Even though you have tread the tire will be slow.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #9
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
No, they are not even within the same ballpark. RS3s are garbage and old tires compared to the RE-71Rs and Rival S

You can flip RE-71Rs as well, just FYI since you're data is clearly wrong.

PS - I have data and analytical evidence to back this up

New RS3v2s heat cycle out in less than 150 runs. Even though you have tread the tire will be slow.
I never said that you can't flip RE-71r. They are $200 more on average per set compare to RS-3.
So for someone who is just starting to go on the track or autoX I strongly believe that 4 RS-3 tires are better than 3 RE-71's
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #10
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I never said that you can't flip RE-71r. They are $200 more on average per set compare to RS-3.
So for someone who is just starting to go on the track or autoX I strongly believe that 4 RS-3 tires are better than 3 RE-71's
Your statement made it seem like no other tire could be flipped.

Also, you said RS3 is the best, not the best for a beginner.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #11
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your statement made it seem like no other tire could be flipped.

Also, you said RS3 is the best, not the best for a beginner.
�� I said better, not best, data or no > the fact is that they are $200 less per set , which is alot, so regardless whether you are begginer or not, for a lot of drivers rs-3 would make more sense.
So, to sum, might not be a better tire but it might be the better choice here.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #12
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
�� I said better, not best, data or no > the fact is that they are $200 less per set , which is alot, so regardless whether you are begginer or not, for a lot of drivers rs-3 would make more sense.
So, to sum, might not be a better tire but it might be the better choice here.
If you're actually competing and giving up tenths of seconds on the wrong tires before you even leave the line, you begin the evaluate those $200.

Just saying, coming from National competitions no one would ever imagine running RS3s. I run RE-71Rs and have 3 sets of them.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #13
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you're actually competing and giving up tenths of seconds on the wrong tires before you even leave the line, you begin the evaluate those $200.

Just saying, coming from National competitions no one would ever imagine running RS3s. I run RE-71Rs and have 3 sets of them.
Well, I hope they give you 3 more for free since you are very vocal advocate of how great those tires are.

I will just refer to the first sentence in this tread :
"Hey guys, so I just started going to AutoX events and enjoying my 335i and trying its potential on its stock sport suspension. "

Therefore, my recommendation on the tires is more appropriate.

Additionally, for the money you can get RS-3 and Dinan camber plates > set up that will humiliate the re-71 equipped car regardless of how good these tire are, if rest of the car is stock of course > like in this case >

So, yes, better tire? Sure i give you that. Better for every intended purpose? > Probably not.

To OP: if you are buying tires buy RS-3 and camber plates fro the re-71 money, OR just camber plates since you PSS will do just fine for a beginner, roll the fenders, do a track oriented alignment and you will be all set for the next event.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #14
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well, I hope they give you 3 more for free since you are very vocal advocate of how great those tires are.

"Hey guys, so I just started going to AutoX events and enjoying my 335i and trying its potential on its stock sport suspension. "

Additionally, for the money you can get RS-3 and Dinan camber plates > set up that will humiliate the re-71 equipped car regardless of how good these tire are, if rest of the car is stock of course > like in this case >

So, yes, better tire? Sure i give you that. Better for every intended purpose? > Probably not.

To OP: if you are buying tires buy RS-3 and camber plates fro the re-71 money, OR just camber plates since you PSS will do just fine for a beginner, roll the fenders, do a track oriented alignment and you will be all set for the next event.
That's a dangerous statement.

I'd be willing to put money on the fact that RE-71Rs on a stock suspension car would have better turn in, leads and bounds over RS3s.

Also, in the wet...RE-71Rs will run circles around RS3s
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #15
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Hey guys, so I just started going to AutoX events and enjoying my 335i and trying its potential on its stock sport suspension. Can't wait to attend some more AutoX and Track events with some of the crews that go with my good friend and I got an invite to join.

What do you guys recommend to do on it suspension wise? Kind of a newbie when it comes to this since it's my first time and my first season and I can't freaking wait.

Also I'm trying to find a set of 18's Apex ARC-8 as my 19 m359 with 235/265 PSS rub.

Here's a pic of my friends friend gt3
Budget is always a big part of suspension upgrade, you can go far. At the bare minimum you want your alignment right, so that would mean getting a set of camber plates (GC, Dinan, Vorschlag). A front sway bar (M3) is another good upgrade because you want to limit the roll. After that, the next upgrade would be the dampers and springs but again, you can spend insane amounts on those. We can give you some advice if you give us an idea of what you want to spend. In regards to tires, there's just no need to get the best, PSS or RS3 will provide plenty of grip for someone starting out. When you start pushing the limits of grip on those tires, that would jusitfy upgrading; save the money and go to more track events. Remember, seat time with proper driving instruction is worth more than any upgrade!
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #16
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Budget is always a big part of suspension upgrade, you can go far. At the bare minimum you want your alignment right, so that would mean getting a set of camber plates (GC, Dinan, Vorschlag). A front sway bar (M3) is another good upgrade because you want to limit the roll. After that, the next upgrade would be the dampers and springs but again, you can spend insane amounts on those. We can give you some advice if you give us an idea of what you want to spend. In regards to tires, there's just no need to get the best, PSS or RS3 will provide plenty of grip for someone starting out. When you start pushing the limits of grip on those tires, that would jusitfy upgrading; save the money and go to more track events. Remember, seat time with proper driving instruction is worth more than any upgrade!
Can't say this enough. Aside from some safety and reliability mods (oil coolers, camber plates, etc.), you should only upgrade once you are at the limit of your current setup. Or else you end up like one of those guys who spend +10K on the car while still pussy footing around the track since they never got comfortable with the car's ability at all.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #17
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:

I strongly recommend against the RS3 on a stock suspension BMW, it'll chew the outer edge of the tire apart. RS3 really need about -4* camber and a lot of roll resistance to work right.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #18
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
spend +10K on the car while still pussy footing around the track
Never heard it before but have seen it. Very descriptive and accurate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
I strongly recommend against the RS3 on a stock suspension BMW, it'll chew the outer edge of the tire apart. RS3 really need about -4* camber and a lot of roll resistance to work right.
what? need about -4*, if you can get that much negative camber. Perhaps, photos from mine? 2 track events and about 2k combined miles and the tires look like brand new and I roll on -1.5 daily and -2.5 on the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #19
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Never heard it before but have seen it. Very descriptive and accurate!

what? need about -4*, if you can get that much negative camber. Perhaps, photos from mine? 2 track events and about 2k combined miles and the tires look like brand new and I roll on -1.5 daily and -2.5 on the track.
You don't drive fast enough in the corners

I was chewing through my front outer shoulder at -2.4 front camber last year with 255/35R18. Running -3.0 seem to help a lot and it is a good compromise for street/track use. -4.0 might be ideal if it is a track only setup. RS3 has pretty soft shoulders.

Added some pictures to illustrate the tire deformation. My tire pressure was a little low, so the tires are deforming a little more than it should for that session. But the BR-Z was running the same 255/35R18 tire. Even on a much lighter car, you can really see how much sidewall deformation was going on in the corners with these tires.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cloud9blue; 07-15-2015 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #20
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

all tires that do not bulge of the rim will distort like that, all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 08:21 PM   #21
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

RE-71Rs

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #22
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
all tires that do not bulge of the rim will distort like that, all.
- Don't see how your picture of the your car on PSS can discredit Ginger_Extract and my FIRST HAND observation.

- I can bet AD08R or R888 won't distort as much as R-S3 and the PSS in your photo.

- You will see this for yourself once you can drive at 8 to 9/10th pace consistently with these tires and how fast your outer shoulder will wear if you stay with your -2.5 camber and relatively soft front spring rate from the BMW PS springs.
Appreciate 0