Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Replacing run flat tyres with normal?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-23-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
simonparker
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

Replacing run flat tyres with normal?

I need 4 new tyres and wanted to change them to normal ones rather than those rock hard run flats. But, having spoken to a couple of tyre dealers here in the UK they said I must have a letter from BMW to say this is allowed, otherwise they are breaking the law as the car is set up for run flats. Is this true, see no reason for them to lie. Both tyre dealers i spoke with said they have yet to see a customer manage to get such a letter from BMW.

So i guess i have to have more run flats?

Thanks people
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

That sound crazy to me but I'm in Canada and I've got 4 regular snows on my e92 right now. Ride is much less harsh. Going to my 19" run flats next week but if they are too rough I'll get a regular set.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Dunno about Canada, but I replaced all my runflats with regular tires and bought myself a can of fixaflat and a small compressor. Haven't had any issues so far. Honestly I think the ride is a little better, but not a HUGE difference, however considering the set of regular tires was less than half of a run flat set, I think it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
simonparker
Rep

It's the legal bit that gets me here. I have called bmw and they said they won't allow it and that i would need new rims as well if i wanted to as the rims and run flats go together, as part of the ride set up of the car. All i want to do is put normal tyres on my car, what's the big deal....
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Is the car leased? If you bought it I don't see what the issue is. It's your car you can do whatever you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
simonparker
Rep

No i own it, but the tyre dealers say that in order to keep their license I must have a letter from BMW to say I can do it. Insurance for them and all that as if i have an accident on tyres they fitted, when originally they were run flats then as they are now non original tyres, ie normal ones, then the ride handling is different and they may be liable
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

i find this very odd....you should be able to order the tires no problem, at least here in the states...have you tried looking and buying the tires online?
      03-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
moreno1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E93

I am here in Canada and I have goone from RFT to regular tires without a problem...I have never heard any about getting paper from the dealer. In my town almost 80% of my boys with bimmers are riding on regular tires and none of them needed any papers.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
moreno1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E93

I am here in Canada and I have goone from RFT to regular tires without a problem...I have never heard any about getting paper from the dealer. In my town almost 80% of my boys with bimmers are riding on regular tires and none of them needed any papers.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
simonparker
Rep

OK, maybe it's an English thing then. Bummer
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
TommyLi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonparker View Post
A European thing you mean
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
TommyLi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonparker View Post
A European thing you mean
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
suprspaz
Dontmadder
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi US Specs

I am here in Germany and I changed out my Run flats for regular tires and I have had no problems. I bought mine online and took them to a guy up the street that has a shop in his home. He changed em for bout 50 euro. The only thing I had to do was get the new tire pressure monitor valve stems from the dealer. Those ran me about 225 euro but still cheaper that having to buy new run flats. I havent had any problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
suprspaz
Dontmadder
United_States
Rep

I am here in Germany and I changed out my Run flats for regular tires and I have had no problems. I bought mine online and took them to a guy up the street that has a shop in his home. He changed em for bout 50 euro. The only thing I had to do was get the new tire pressure monitor valve stems from the dealer. Those ran me about 225 euro but still cheaper that having to buy new run flats. I havent had any problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #15
suprspaz
Dontmadder
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #16
suprspaz
Dontmadder
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #17
suprspaz
Dontmadder
United_States
Rep

I replaced my run flats with regular tires here in Germany and I havent had any problems. No one asked for anything special I did have to buy new TPM valve stems that ran me about 225 euro from the dealer and only took a week to get in. In all I havent had any problems with my non run flats and still a smooth ride with good grip on the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #18
suprspaz
Dontmadder
United_States
Rep

tires

I replaced my run flats with regular tires here in Germany and I havent had any problems. No one asked for anything special I did have to buy new TPM valve stems that ran me about 225 euro from the dealer and only took a week to get in. In all I havent had any problems with my non run flats and still a smooth ride with good grip on the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #19
simonparker
Rep

I'm quite often in Germany, seems what i save on cost of normal tyres vs runflats is then taken away in new tyre pressure sensor valves. Decision to make then i guess
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Most tire shops these days will not put anything on your car unless it meets OEM requirements. They are no interested in taking on the liability if something goes wrongs.

However, that does not mean you can not put something else on your car. It just means you will have to take the rims in without the car and have them put on the tires you want.

I can also tell you most all the large or chain tire places or garages computer systems will not allow them to put in an order for tires which do not meet OEM requirements. I lost a winter tire and took it a local shop to replace it and when then enter the car information in it came up with a limit list of tire option and the ones I had were not on the list. So I had to go home and bring the tire back without the car and he just entered the wheel without car and it allow him to use any tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #21
Maestro
Major
Rep

Most tire shops these days will not put anything on your car unless it meets OEM requirements. They are no interested in taking on the liability if something goes wrongs.

However, that does not mean you can not put something else on your car. It just means you will have to take the rims in without the car and have them put on the tires you want.

I can also tell you most all the large or chain tire places or garages computer systems will not allow them to put in an order for tires which do not meet OEM requirements. I lost a winter tire and took it a local shop to replace it and when then enter the car information in it came up with a limit list of tire option and the ones I had were not on the list. So I had to go home and bring the tire back without the car and he just entered the wheel without car and it allow him to use any tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #22
Maestro
Major
Rep

Appreciate 0