E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > paint chipped

04-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
bulldozer3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M-sport Le mans

paint chipped

Well, as you can see here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370703

I just got a new 335i Le mans blue last week, and i've already got a chunk of paint missing... I assume from a rock on the highway. Is this something touch-up paint can fix? The service dept said the touch-up paint includes a clear coat, kind of a two-in-one thing. I know it will not look perfect, but at this point mainly concered about it peeling off more. Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thats a bad chip.....i don't think the touch up paint will do anything to help that, youre best bet is to take it to a body shop and check out the cost of getting it properly repaired.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 12:16 AM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I'd honestly ask them to repaint the panel. Paint is not supposed to chip like that. The primer they use should chemically bond to the metal and the paint should bond to the primer. It should chip and start to peel like that. I have plenty of oversized big rock chips from living in AZ but none of them are falling apart and peeling like that. I'd say thats a MFG defect in the paint causing it to chip like that IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
buckshizzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 JB E92 335i

Ouch! Sorry that happened bro.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
bulldozer3
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I'd honestly ask them to repaint the panel. Paint is not supposed to chip like that. The primer they use should chemically bond to the metal and the paint should bond to the primer. It should chip and start to peel like that. I have plenty of oversized big rock chips from living in AZ but none of them are falling apart and peeling like that. I'd say thats a MFG defect in the paint causing it to chip like that IMHO.
I thought about that... If I was living where I bought the car it would probably be easier, but I bought it up in north carolina then drove down to Florida. Maybe I'll swing by the dealer here and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
To properly fix it, it looks like they'll have to sand down those edges before painting. Honestly, I don't think it looks so bad that it couldn't be done DIY, but it is much trickier repairing a chip on an edge like that (and with some peeling to boot!) versus a "normal" rock chip. For this one, you wouldn't be able to make it invisible via DIY, but it sounds like that's not a major concern.

Asking the local dealer is not a bad idea. Most dealers have a "rock chip guy" (independent contractor to the dealer) that should be able to take care of this. You may pay a little more than if you went to the guy directly, though. And if you are totally OCD, you can have a body shop do it to make it completely invisible -- IMO not worth going this route for a little chip, though.
      04-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Alan@PYSpeed.com[retired]
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post

This

Web: www.PYSpeed.com (Facebook | Twitter) Aim: Mai6474
Wheels | Performance | Suspension | Exterior | Lighting | Carbon Fiber Wrap

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
bulldozer3
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think i'll hit up the dealer and see what they have to say. Is there any harm in waiting a couple of weeks to have it repaired ? I'm headed up to atlanta for a few days, and still looking for a place to live here, so kinda need a car.
Appreciate 0