E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > I got the codes for my SES.. Please advise

04-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
beeming
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

I got the codes for my SES.. Please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeming View Post
well long story short i was experiencing some rough idle one cold morning, the car was shaking violently when put into gear and then the check engine light came on but went away after a restart. mild rough idles were still common after this incident but not as severe as that day and it was the only time it threw a CEL.

then about week later i noticed the service engine light came on during a drive into the city. due to my busy work schedule it took me another week i before i was able to bring it to the dealer to have it checked and something strange happens that morning. after warming up the car and upon light acceleration i heard some noises coming from the hood what sounded like engine knock/misfire and i heard it another 5-8 times(all within 5sec time)before i got out the car and heard a loud snapping noises like gunshots=O, looked at the hood and saw some smoke coming out and smell of burnt rubber and then it just went away.

the drive to the dealer was normal as always and couldn't tell there was anything wrong with the car. the diagnosis came back and SA told me i needed to replace 6 plugs, 6 injectors, and advised thermostat, and 4 o2 sensors making it $3400-discounted parts price included since i knew the parts guy- and minor leak on the rear main seal but not too worried about that. apparently i had misfires on all cylinders. sorry no codes for you guys yet but i wanted to take it to a bimrs.org shop(euromeccanica in mt vernon) and get a second opinion.

questions-
is it normal to have to replace all 6 injectors and does this sound like a fuel pump problem to you guys?
how hard is it to DIY the thermostat and o2? i found a post on the therm and is looks like a bit PITA but didn't find anything for the o2.
anyone have experience and feedback on euromeccanica?
what you do guys think?

thanks,
eric
Here are the codes:

P0301- Misfire cylinder 1
P0303- Misfire cylinder 3
P0302- Misfire cylinder 2
P0300- Random/Multiple Misfires
P0304- Misfire cylinder 4
P0128- Coolant temp below thermostat regulating temp

I erased the codes and started the car up to find P0301 come up again shortly after. Do you guys think it's a weak pump or fuel regulator; hence the P0300 random misfires?

Is it safe to assume the thermostat failed in the open position? I guess I'll have to check to see if the coolant is flowing to the radiator upon start-up when I remember to.

No codes for the o2.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Eric
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
beeming
Private
Rep

Quote:
Here are the codes:

P0301- Misfire cylinder 1
P0303- Misfire cylinder 3
P0302- Misfire cylinder 2
P0300- Random/Multiple Misfires
P0304- Misfire cylinder 4
P0128- Coolant temp below thermostat regulating temp

I erased the codes and started the car up to find P0301 come up again shortly after. Do you guys think it's a weak pump or fuel regulator; hence the P0300 random misfires?

Is it safe to assume the thermostat failed in the open position? I guess I'll have to check to see if the coolant is flowing to the radiator upon start-up when I remember to.

No codes for the o2.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Eric
bump for help!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

I assume the car is out of warranty? Make sure the fuel pump / injector recall was done and then start by changing all the spark plugs.

The dealer doesn't like to figure out whats exactly wrong but replace everything at once. Its fine if its a warranty job but if you are out of pocketing I would start with spark plugs as they are the cheapest part and most likely haven't been replaced in a while.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Check this thread out for help on the misfires
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631829

Its sounds to me like it could be the injectors but i don't think you would have all six fail at the same time, so i would start with spark plugs. Spark pulgs+plug socket costs under a hundred bucks and is a VERY easy DIY.

As far as the water temp: good luck with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
beeming
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I assume the car is out of warranty? Make sure the fuel pump / injector recall was done and then start by changing all the spark plugs.

The dealer doesn't like to figure out whats exactly wrong but replace everything at once. Its fine if its a warranty job but if you are out of pocketing I would start with spark plugs as they are the cheapest part and most likely haven't been replaced in a while.

Mike
Right, It's out of warranty. The Fuel pump was replaced from dealer March of last year but they didn't say anything about the injectors(car is relatively new to me)

I might take your advice and change all the plugs first, do you know of a place that has them for cheap?

Thanks,
Eric
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Right, It's out of warranty. The Fuel pump was replaced from dealer March of last year but they didn't say anything about the injectors(car is relatively new to me)

I might take your advice and change all the plugs first, do you know of a place that has them for cheap?

Thanks,
Eric
I have the plugs and spark plug tool on my site. We just got the spark plug tool back in stock after a month.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
beeming
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I have the plugs and spark plug tool on my site. We just got the spark plug tool back in stock after a month.

Mike
Ordered, do the plugs have to be torqued down?

Thanks,
Eric
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Ordered, do the plugs have to be torqued down?

Thanks,
Eric
17ftlbs dry
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
beeming
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
17ftlbs dry