E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Good polish/wax to get swirls out

03-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
dhanni848
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Good polish/wax to get swirls out

Hello all. I have been detailing my vehicles forever and love doing it. I am planning on getting a better polisher this week (http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/polishers/6-variable-speed-dual-action-polisher-69924.html) and would like a good wax that will remove some deeper swirls. I will be getting the different stages of pads so that it sands a little. As you can see I am going to harbor freight so I don't have a lot of extra money. I would like some solid polish/wax and sealant without spending a ton of money. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
sdalpha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 30 Jahre M3

How much are you willing to spend? We can recommend products based on your budget and your goals.

Wax will not remove swirl marks. That is a job for polish and compound.

Also, different pads do not "sand" the paint, unless you attached some sandpaper to the pad.
      03-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdalpha View Post
How much are you willing to spend? We can recommend products based on your budget and your goals.
+1.

It would also helps if you post some pics of the defects.
      03-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
dhanni848
Lieutenant
Rep

I misspoke on waxes, just used to the term. I would like a good 2-3 stage process. The pads I will be getting vary in abrasion. Pads - cutting pad, polishing, and finishing pads. I've read in other posts people using different pads and results look really good. I want to pair the right product with the right pad.

I don't particularly have a budget but I can't spend $100 on the stuff. I will try and post some pics up, on my phone now. They are the regular swirls/scratches that a normal buffing doesn't get out.

I apologize for my ignorance on some of the lingo.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
sdalpha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 30 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanni848 View Post
I want to pair the right product with the right pad.
This is a tough one. We honestly cannot say which product goes with which pad. Yes, there are recommendations on what typically works together, but it may not be what you need to use to get the swirl marks out of your paint. It is honestly a little bit of an experiment.

Also, you want to go with the least aggressive option that will heed the results you are looking to achieve.

Quote:
I don't particularly have a budget but I can't spend $100 on the stuff.
What do you currently have?

Quote:
I apologize for my ignorance on some of the lingo.
No worries. I did not intend to sound harsh or anything, I just wanted to clarify a few statements in your original post.
      03-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
dhanni848
Lieutenant
Rep

Yea I don't want to be wet sanding the car! The swirls are not bad and they are not scratches but just microfine that a regular polish and foam pad doesn't remove. I mainly use Meguiars Gold Glass and The Wax Shop glaze.

I don't mind messing around with different ones. Just a solid suggestion of a product initially is good for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Here are some points for you to think about.

To get the most from a polisher such as Harbor Freight or the Porter Cable, you would do better if you use smaller pads (5.5 inch) since this would minimize the machine from bogging down but this does require you buying a smaller backing plate.

Prior to buffing, the car should be wash and clay. A Foam pad on a DA polisher will not remove the surface contaminants on the car. A wool pad, a heavy cut compound, and a rotary could....in the right hands.

To buff out an average size car requires 3-4 pads (the more the better). If you are to do any corrections beyond polishing then you are looking at minimum of something like this...... 3-4 (Orange), 3-4 (White), 3-4 (Black). You will also need a brush to clean the pad between each panels as well as some good microfiber towels (not the costco ones) to wipe off the polish on the car.

The combination of the polish, pads, and the action of the machine will determine the aggressiveness of the approach. For starters, go with the OTC Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Polish. These 2 products will be much easier for a beginner to deal with. This brings up the most important point.

Technique. There is more to paint corrections then just buying a polisher, some Pads and a few polishes. Good techniques could overcome inferior products but no products can overcome bad techniques. Read up on the Kevin Brown Method.

2nd most important point. Do a 1' by 1' test spot to make sure your entire process is the correct approach. You don't want to buff out the entire car to find later that your process was no good.

If you like to learn more.... check out some dedicated detailing forums such as AutoGeekOnline and Autopia.

Please don't think I am trying to discourage you. I am not. I am trying to help you to plan the process out. You could either learn from your own mistakes or...... learn from the mistakes of others.

Good Luck.
      03-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
dhanni848
Lieutenant
Rep

That is not discouraging at all. That is why I enjoy doing it myself, it's fulfilling.

I have read the Kevin Brown method a few times and I did this on my wife's black car a couple weeks a ago and turned out really well. I have a clay bar set I use and the proper materials. I just have a plain 8" buffer that I am not able to change pads on and want to upgrade.

The DA I'm looking at is a 6". I'm glad you said it will take that many pads because I was not going to buy that many but it makes sense

Thanks for all the help. I will do more digging for info on products.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
groundskeeper willie
Rep
Drives: my other car is a vette

being from tennesse, im surprised you havent heard of Optimum Polymer Technologies....

very high quality products that are easy on the pocket book.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
dhanni848
Lieutenant
Rep

I haven't but I will look into them.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
Former USMC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Crimson Red

Quote:
Hello all. I have been detailing my vehicles forever and love doing it. I am planning on getting a better polisher this week (http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...her-69924.html) and would like a good wax that will remove some deeper swirls. I will be getting the different stages of pads so that it sands a little. As you can see I am going to harbor freight so I don't have a lot of extra money. I would like some solid polish/wax and sealant without spending a ton of money. Thanks in advance!
Dhanni848,

I have used Griot's Garage products for years, including their polishes, waxes, clays, towels, etc. They work as advertised and have a plethora of how-to videos on YouTube.

I don't have any personal interest in the company, just like their products.

Semper Fi
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
Peiler
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
2009 BMW E93  [0.00]
What product is the best to remove a small scratch from my door and cover a bigger scratch on my bumper? Colour is Space Gray
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peiler View Post
What product is the best to remove a small scratch from my door and cover a bigger scratch on my bumper? Colour is Space Gray
can you feel the scratch with your nail? Need pics
      04-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
dhanni848
Lieutenant
Rep

Well go the DA and lots of pads. Did a lot of research and bought M105 & M205. Hopefully get some time to try it out. I am going to be getting some sealant soon too, thinking about getting meguiars #21.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanni848
Well go the DA and lots of pads. Did a lot of research and bought M105 & M205. Hopefully get some time to try it out. I am going to be getting some sealant soon too, thinking about getting meguiars #21.
For a beginner I would not have gotten m105. Return it and get m101 instead. You should only need to use m101 once unless you treat your paint like crap. Skip out on Meg's #21. It's the same product as OTC nxt 2.0 just a different color. Get some black fire wet diamond all finish paint protection instead
      04-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #16
dhanni848
Lieutenant
Rep

I read a lot on the m105 and looks like it pairs really well with the m205. After you posted I looked in m101 and it seems almost the same but not as deep cutting. I really need the cutting for my initial polishing. I definitely do not plan on using it much.

I will look into the sealants you suggested. Why do you say to stay away from the Meguiars? It's not that expensive either.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #17
MetsFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 G37x

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Are you sticking with 6" pads or did you get the 5.5" backing plate and pads? What kind of pads did you get? I was going to buy a PC later this summer, but the reviews on this harbor freight one are pretty good and it's half the price too!

edit: there's also a 20% off coupon bringing the total down to $48 plus shipping/tax: 94155199

Last edited by MetsFan; 04-16-2013 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
dhanni848
Lieutenant
Rep

I got the one that is a DA and has 6 speeds and is for 6" pads. It was $79 and then I had a 20% coupon. They have pads in stock as well. I bought 3 of each, yellow, orange, and black.

I clicked it on and tried it out on a test panel this weekend and I love it. Not much vibration at all, pads held up well too.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #19
MetsFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 G37x

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Ah, must be on sale for $60 now then. Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm going to do some more research on pads and then pick this up.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #20
dhanni848
Lieutenant
Rep

I just checked online and the one that's $59.99 is the one I got. That was a waste if $10!!! Such is my luck though.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #21
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I read a lot on the m105 and looks like it pairs really well with the m205. After you posted I looked in m101 and it seems almost the same but not as deep cutting. I really need the cutting for my initial polishing. I definitely do not plan on using it much.

I will look into the sealants you suggested. Why do you say to stay away from the Meguiars? It's not that expensive either.

Thank you
M105 was originally developed for body shops (to be use with a rotary). The work cycle of the product is very short and it dusts pretty bad. It is not a product that is friendly to beginners. With a DA, you need to have a smaller work area or you might find yourself having a difficult time removing the product. Towel marring is an issue with some cars when removing M105 so invest in some good MF towels (not Costco).

M101 was designed for the European market and it was not intended for the U.S market. Meg finally gave in due to pressure from the U.S. Detailing Community. It was designed to be use with foam. The work cycle is much longer and it dust much less. The cut is comparable to M105.

With a more powerful machine ( i.e Flex 3401, Griot Garage), a LSP ready surface could be achieve with M101 in just a single step on some paint system. M105 generally requires a second step (M205 , Menzerna SF4000). With the machine you are getting, you most likely have to make more passes per section (6-8) so you do want a longer work cycle and hence M101.

Here is a question for you? Why do you think you need to start with these aggressive products? Unless your car is "Hammered" a medium polish like Menzerna SIP works great without the learning curve and all the subsequent steps to finish down.
      04-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #22
dhanni848
Lieutenant
Rep

To be honest I researched and watched some YouTube videos of using the products and they looked easy to use and made the paint look great. So that's what I went with. Plus my local auto zone had it.

Car is not destroyed but does have some bad spots that I want cleared up.
Appreciate 0