E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 6MT, no 3-2 shift on track, fine otherwise

07-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #1
absolutepressur
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330i Touring Manual

6MT, no 3-2 shift on track, fine otherwise

Bad synchro, right?! Hold your horses, don't jump to any conclusions!

I DD my car and it has not nor is currently showing any signs of a bad synchro on 2nd. I've had the car for a year and a half, and on cold winter days, warm days, hooning on some back roads, flawless.

A month ago or so I went though a racing license course at Mantorp on a cool day (10 C / 50 F) and as far as driving went, it was like a track day. 5 hot laps, in for a session, out for another 5 and so on. After maybe the second session it just would NOT go 3-2. And I mean like, pulling hard on the shifter, double clutching, it was not having it. Then with all the time that passed yankin on the shifter and double clutching several times I was in the 1st gear range. First goes in, I accelerate, shift 1-2...just fine...wtf?! Next lap, same thing. 1-2 is fine, 3-2 in any manner won't happen. I come into the pits, and it goes into second fine. No munching, nothing. It almost feels like 2nd gets locked out. I know that sounds stupid, but if it was a bad synchro you'd think 1-2 would be worse since the relative ratio is larger. And it's not like it munches into 2nd. It's perfect one way, not an option the other, and only at track pace.

Since it's not an issue on the road I forgot about it, but end of July I plan to take it to the Nurburgring and I just have this gut feeling it'll do the same thing.

Anyone experience this? Any thoughts? I know a gear oil change can improve the shifting feel, but this seems to be on another level. 149600 km on the car.

Thanks in advance!
My current car is Silver. I wish it was Anthracite ;p
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #2
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Bad mounts and fluid
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Bad mounts and fluid
Yeah, I'd check engine and trans mounts, and do a trans fluid flush.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 02:24 AM   #4
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Just had issues at the drags going up into 2nd.
Even with new redline mt90 75-90w it was still the same.

Im hoping it is the transmission mounts.

Otherwise perfect transmission normally but over 500hp i got the 2nd gear issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #5
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Wow that's really weird. I'd recommend amsoil if you change the fluid. Hope it's nothing too major!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #6
absolutepressur
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330i Touring Manual

I might as well follow up on this since I started it :P

No issues with the mounts so far as I can see. I popped the hood so I could see the engine, held the brakes, and let the clutch out with some throttle as if I were trying to do the most intense hill start in history. Both in 1st and Reverse. The engine rocked side to side an extremely normal amount - a few millimeters. So ok, those are fine, but that doesn't test longitudinal. So then since the shifter is attached to the transmission, I just looked at the shifter under hard braking in several gears. It should pivot if the trans moves longitudinally. It doesn't. So I have deemed the mounts ok.

Didn't do anything with the fluid, so it could be that.

But it worked like a peach on the Nordschliefe this summer, so...f-it! I'm not gonna worry about it unless it pops up again. I know this isn't a helpful solution, but figured I'd just follow up!
My current car is Silver. I wish it was Anthracite ;p
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 11:52 PM   #7
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Change the transmission mounts, stop being lazy. 15 minutes and 50 bucks is easy work.
Appreciate 0