E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Official Dynavin BMW E9X Review, Pics, Questions, etc.

03-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #309
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

how about an android vers?
      03-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #310
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graduated to a 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Yeah, that will be very entertaining. I got $20 says it never happens...
They already have one that works on an MBE with its optical system..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #311
ChrisE91
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 320D M Sport

Excellent thread. Thank you to the OP for starting this.

I've just purchased a 2007 320D M Sport Touring and have been looking at options for bluetooth and stumbled across this very unit. I couldn't find any reviews until now.

I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, does the unit play music from an iPhone using the supplied iPod connector? Or is the only way via A2DP?

Secondly, I read somewhere that TomTom works on the unit, has anyone seen this in action?

Thanks.
      03-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #312
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graduated to a 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE91 View Post

I've just purchased a 2007 320D M Sport Touring and have been looking at options for bluetooth and stumbled across this very unit. I couldn't find any reviews until now.

Firstly, does the unit play music from an iPhone using the supplied iPod connector? Or is the only way via A2DP?

Secondly, I read somewhere that TomTom works on the unit, has anyone seen this in action?

Thanks.
The unit should play the music from an iPhone by both, i dont have an iphone for testing but i am told it does.

Also you can check out a ton of info on the nav software and stuff at this forum i found:
www.dynavin.freeforums.org
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 05:06 AM   #313
ChrisE91
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 320D M Sport

Thank you :-)
      03-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #314
1986pacecar
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i

How many people have actually bought the Dynavin? I'm interested but more than a little nervous about taking the leap.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #315
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

I've got it awaiting mine !: )
      03-30-2011, 01:20 AM   #316
Misturrtinnie
Addicted.
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine328i View Post
Maybe they are mistaken, but it is NOT plug and play with L7. Maybe in the future as i heard the Dynavin is making optical-compatible units soon!
I really wanna know where you heard this?
      03-30-2011, 03:08 AM   #317
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CS Limerock Grey

I am about to buy this system but I have a few questions before I make the purchase.

1.) I have a 2006 BMW 325i without the heated seats option, am I still compatible?

2.) I have a auxillary output in my armrest, will that still work after this installation? Do I need to put a separate auxillary cord to the back of this system and run it through the glove-box?

3.) Can I use the BMW iPod® Interface Adapter with this product? I am looking mainly for a item to charge my phone through the glove-box while I drive. Is there any other adapter I can use with my iPhone? Does it connect to the back of the nav system?

4.) I was reading somewhere that if we get the apple composite cable and connect it to the back of the nav system we might be able to watch videos from our iphones to the unit itself (which would be incredible). Is this compatible with our cars? Do we need to jailbreak in order to have this option?

Sorry about all these questions. I am new to all this so please forgive me if I asked something foolish.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #318
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtskariah View Post
I am about to buy this system but I have a few questions before I make the purchase.

1.) I have a 2006 BMW 325i without the heated seats option, am I still compatible?

Yes, in fact the job might be easier. Do you have any buttons on that strip where the seat heater controls are located?

2.) I have a auxillary output in my armrest, will that still work after this installation? Do I need to put a separate auxillary cord to the back of this system and run it through the glove-box?

The factory Aux input will no longer work (or so I assume, haven't tried it in mine). You can pull a new aux to your glovebox when you tap into the 12V constant that also comes from the glovebox. You can also buy a new flushmounted Aux in cable from Jeff @ Dynavin Solutions and mount that in your center console keeping near identical functionality. With that said, between the SD card reader., iPod controls and Bluetooth A2DP playback your need for an Aux in should be reduced.

3.) Can I use the BMW iPod® Interface Adapter with this product? I am looking mainly for a item to charge my phone through the glove-box while I drive. Is there any other adapter I can use with my iPhone? Does it connect to the back of the nav system?

The System has it's own iPod interface, so you won't need the one from BMW. I use my iPhone with the Dynavin but I connect it via Bluetooth. No need for wires at all. All music (ipod, pandora, ect) plays on the Dynavin as well as voice calls. I keep a charger in the center console so when I'm on long trips I can simply plug it in to charge. For day to day driving the iPhone doesn't come out of my pocket.

4.) I was reading somewhere that if we get the apple composite cable and connect it to the back of the nav system we might be able to watch videos from our iphones to the unit itself (which would be incredible). Is this compatible with our cars? Do we need to jailbreak in order to have this option?

Yes, you'll need to be jailbroken if you want it to work smoothly. Again, the Dynavin's have SD card slots so you can just load videos onto the SD card and play them back from there. It's what I do. The Dynavin also has a DVD disc player built in. I personally stay away from playing videos on an Ipod/iPhone because you then have to use the iPod/iPhone to pause, start, stop, and skip. If you load videos onto the SD card or play a DVD you can pause, skip and so on using the Dynavin unit itself which is a much better option while driving.

Sorry about all these questions. I am new to all this so please forgive me if I asked something foolish.
My answers in red
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #319
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
How many people have actually bought the Dynavin? I'm interested but more than a little nervous about taking the leap.
You're not taking any leaps, several people have them now. Including me. I've posted images and given plenty of assistance in this thread. The units are real, work as advertised and are a big functional improvement over the factory options. With that said the units aren't perfect and could be better with a firmware update from Dynavin. Regardless, as it stands today, it's better than the factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #320
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE91 View Post

Thanks.
Several people have loaded TomTom but the general consensus by those that have tried multiple nav peices is that the iGo Primo software is by far the best for these Dynavin units. I chose to skip the hassle and go straight to the recommendations of others. So far I like Primo much better than my TomTom GPS unit, which I would assume runs the same, or similar software, that could be installed on the Dynavin.

You won't be disappointed with Primo.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #321
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
You're not taking any leaps, several people have them now. Including me. I've posted images and given plenty of assistance in this thread. The units are real, work as advertised and are a big functional improvement over the factory options. With that said the units aren't perfect and could be better with a firmware update from Dynavin. Regardless, as it stands today, it's better than the factory.
100% agreed

And for anyone considering this a risky investment, I can assure you that some sellers are willing to go out of their way to support their customer. I purchased mine from Trent from Car Audio Craze, who was offering the best price. My unit had a minor defect and Trent worked with me to get it replaced with a new unit without the hasle of returning it prior to. I couldn't have asked for better support!

Last edited by pkirk; 03-30-2011 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #322
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
Several people have loaded TomTom but the general consensus by those that have tried multiple nav peices is that the iGo Primo software is by far the best for these Dynavin units. I chose to skip the hassle and go straight to the recommendations of others. So far I like Primo much better than my TomTom GPS unit, which I would assume runs the same, or similar software, that could be installed on the Dynavin.

You won't be disappointed with Primo.
I was originally running Primo 1.1 and considered it the best nav software I've ever used. Recently I upgraded to Primo 1.2, which has very subtle differences in my opinion and loads much slower. Not sure that 1.2 is worth having over 1.1...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #323
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtskariah View Post
As scuba mentioned, no problem installing the unit without heated seats option.

Not sure about your car - mine didn't have heated seats but did have the row of buttons. Well, actually it had a row of blanks and only 1 button. I only have the downhill speed control function which I consider useless.

Prior to installing the Dynavin I installed a sirius receiver in the optional sunglass holder which replaces the ashtray. I didn't want to lose this setup, but even without it I wouldn't want that the rediculous looking button strip relocator ashtray assembly in my car. I took the strip of buttons and taped them to the underside of the head unit to avoid any potential electrical errors if it was disconnected. This way it's out-of-site/out-of-mind and my install looks cleaner
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #324
1986pacecar
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i

As far as relocating the heated seat buttons, I only have the "hill descent button" which I've never used and probably never will. I'm not sure it's worth dumping my wood grain ash tray for the retrofit ones which only come in black and aluminum. Are there any options for me that wouldn't require the retrofit ashtray? Also are there going to be any group buys for these units?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #325
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Yea baby they shipping out today for me
      04-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #326
JerryK73
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue Coupe

Installed this in my M3 Coupe the other night. Kinda liking it so far but there are a couple problems. Any one know where I can find a 12v constant in the fuse box? The one in the DIY from Car Audio Craze doesn't retain stay constant(?) and loses all the settings after it's been off for 30 minutes. Also getting an error in the iPod Code 351(?)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #327
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryK73 View Post
Installed this in my M3 Coupe the other night. Kinda liking it so far but there are a couple problems. Any one know where I can find a 12v constant in the fuse box? The one in the DIY from Car Audio Craze doesn't retain stay constant(?) and loses all the settings after it's been off for 30 minutes. Also getting an error in the iPod Code 351(?)
I had some trouble finding the constand 12v power as well. The Dynavin and Car Audio Craze instructions both referred to a location that didn't work for my car. Keep trying locations until you find one that works. I moved to a fuse bank towards the left of the panel and got lucky.

I am not familiar with the iPod error. Which mode iPod? Make sure the cable is plugged tightly into the HU and that your iPod isn't having an unexpected compatibility issue by trying another iPod if possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #328
JerryK73
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Using a 3g Touch with OS 4.2.1. Will have to wait until I get back to New Orleans to try my other iPods.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #329
JerryK73
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just wanted to thank you guys (and Jeff) for your help. Have all but the iPod issue squared away. Hopefully I'll be able to use my 60gig iPod vides or my iPod classic without the time out error.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #330
Tredvesone
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

I dont know if this video been posted earlier. Its from Schmiedmann that shows the unit installed in the car and some functions. Enjoy!

http://static.schmiedmann.dk/Product...ip_1937752.wmv
Appreciate 0