E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Grinding Noise Turning Left

08-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #45
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I've got kw v3 and have the noise issue, what did you have before?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 08:04 AM   #46
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

'Shudder' at low speeds while turning came back shortly after getting my car back from the dealer.

Just lived with it for several months.

Changed the tires, now shudder gone.

It was uneven tire wear - inside edges of both front tires were worn significantly - not sure why. Replaced the Continental ProContact RFTs with Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #47
SouthDiesel190
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335d M-Sport

So what came of this? I just discovered this gem on my '11 335d
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #48
jamhot
Rep
Drives: 335i FBO

Bumping this thread. OP has exactly explained a problem I am getting. under light throttle turning left I get a rumbling groaning noise. It isn't the oil cooler vent either. seems to be many opinions but no actual cure. Any sort this out?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #49
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhot View Post
Bumping this thread. OP has exactly explained a problem I am getting. under light throttle turning left I get a rumbling groaning noise. It isn't the oil cooler vent either. seems to be many opinions but no actual cure. Any sort this out?
Mine sounds like a wire brush rubbing something anytime I turn the wheel at low speed in either direction. I also hear it a little as i drive slowly (straight ahead) over speed bumps.

I recently changed to Koni FSD golds and had both control arms changed on my 2008 e90 335xi
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 11:09 PM   #50
rockasmirkbangkong
Rep
Drives: tbd

I am having the same issue but just saw this thread
--->http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358983
I reversed my car all the way to left/got out and saw that front right wheel was rubbing against the Oil Cooler Vent.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 04:15 AM   #51
Jermz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 135i

Same noise!

Hello All,
I thought I'd bump this thread as I am still having the same issue as OP. My situation at least hints at where the issue could be. I never experienced this before, then I had an aftermarket front mounted inter-cooler and turbo inlets installed at the same time. First time I took the car out I noticed a strange noise/slight vibration when accelerating during a left turn. It's only during left turns and it has to be at a specific angle during throttle. I've learned to try and not accelerate during left turns. Whatever it is, it's definitely turbo related. I hear my turbo struggling for air (not sure if its going in or out) during these conditions. There is also a very slight vibration happening at the same time.

I've brought it to the shop that installed the aftermarket parts and BMW. Neither can figure out where the noise is coming from.

Any ideas?

-Jermz
      12-19-2018, 11:55 AM   #52
jspearin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330Xi

Potential solution

All too often issues are asked about here in the forums and the possible fixes never make it back into the thread for others to learn from so I thought I would post something here on this topic.

I had this very same issue with my '06 330xi. Mostly when turning left but also sometimes turning right at slow speeds. I suspected it was something in the drive train because I could almost feel it through the stick shift. I did some more digging and found out that the issue seems to be linked to the AWD system because it was being reported by X3 drivers as well with some saying it was the transfer case itself.

I didn't quite understand how turning at slow speed would affect the transfer case but I did read that as a first step, many people recommended changing the transfer case fluid. I finally did so (not an easy process on the 330xi) about 3 weeks ago and the grinding noise is now completely gone.

It's a low cost thing to try first before you start digging into other drive train or suspension components.
Appreciate 0