E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Friend says he will never buy bmw because of my 328i

05-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #111
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
i doubt more high end lexus would be sold than high end BMW though

and i agree, BMW's without projectors are disgusting, simply shouldn't exist... though they DO let you know the people who bought a BMW 'for the badge'

ugh... cloth seats, halogen lights, stock stock sock 116i. ewh.
lol wat?

shows nothing of the sort. If anything, the owners not heavily maintaining or actually driving their car shows who "bought for the badge" more.

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #112
Beaming
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328I Coupe

Garage List
2007 328i coupe  [0.00]
You can put a Sirius receiver in the center console. I actually have an XM one there and it works perfectly. The power and aux input are already there so all you have to do is snake the antenna to the rear window. Also, you can buy any number of blue tooth receivers that will allow you to have full BT functionality for streaming from a portable BY enabled devide.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #113
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

Quote:
i doubt more high end lexus would be sold than high end BMW though

and i agree, BMW's without projectors are disgusting, simply shouldn't exist... though they DO let you know the people who bought a BMW 'for the badge'

ugh... cloth seats, halogen lights, stock stock sock 116i. ewh.
Had my 'entry level' 325i for 4 years before I got my 335. It was my introduction to BMW's, and as such was a great car to get my feet wet per se. Didn't buy it for the badge. It was comfortable, had enough power and handling, looked nice, and was (relatively) cheap. Not to mention, well optioned out for a base car.
My experiences with the 325 helped me to decide what to look for when I upgraded, hence my purchase of a pre-owned, loaded 335i M-sport. I've caught flak from friends, family, and co-workers for both cars, but I don't care. The only person that I'm out to impress is me!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #114
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorns View Post
Had my 'entry level' 325i for 4 years before I got my 335. It was my introduction to BMW's, and as such was a great car to get my feet wet per se. Didn't buy it for the badge. It was comfortable, had enough power and handling, looked nice, and was (relatively) cheap. Not to mention, well optioned out for a base car.
My experiences with the 325 helped me to decide what to look for when I upgraded, hence my purchase of a pre-owned, loaded 335i M-sport. I've caught flak from friends, family, and co-workers for both cars, but I don't care. The only person that I'm out to impress is me!
wtf why would you get flak for a 335i?

from people who think a camry is a fun car?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #115
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
lol wat?

shows nothing of the sort. If anything, the owners not heavily maintaining or actually driving their car shows who "bought for the badge" more.
but without any options, and with a 1.6L 4cyl... and nothing nice about them.. a kia or hyundai is nicer for about half the money

not joking, have you seen how nice they are these days?

heck, have you BEEN in a totally optionless 116i? it's absolutely horrible (looking too), gutless, boring, and not even really efficient for what it is
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #116
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
You are not understanding my comment. Lexus is not just Lexus, its Toyota as well, the development dollars are not just spread across just the Lexus group.

For example the CT is almost a Prius, so the volume is high in terms of sales.
yeah but in the same kind.. a lot of lexus stuff can be considered almost entirely separate to toyota.. their 'F' cars.. not to mention the LF-A lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #117
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E902009 View Post
It's our consumer culture, really. American shoppers like "packages." Buying it as a package has the implication that you're getting a good deal, a good value...
if only they had the thought to price it up individually just to see haha
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #118
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
yeah but in the same kind.. a lot of lexus stuff can be considered almost entirely separate to toyota.. their 'F' cars.. not to mention the LF-A lol.
Whether its separate or not they are still spreading R&D dollars between two companies, many of the hybrid tech used at Lexus was developed at Toyota. Same as some of the things that were developed in the LFA halo car will be trickled down to both Lexus and Toyota. There is just more volume with the combined sales.
      05-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #119
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
but without any options, and with a 1.6L 4cyl... and nothing nice about them.. a kia or hyundai is nicer for about half the money

not joking, have you seen how nice they are these days?

heck, have you BEEN in a totally optionless 116i? it's absolutely horrible (looking too), gutless, boring, and not even really efficient for what it is
Actually funny you mention that. My mom was looking for a new car last year and looked at a new Hyundai Santa Fe. Looked at fully equipped models, but when it came down to the test drive she hated it. She was too accustomed to her older X3. She ended up getting an F25 X3 despite it having a few less features but being a good bit more expensive.

Makes sense if you're going for features to stray away from the basic featured car, but topic of priority for someone purchasing a BMW should be the driving characteristics and safety. Then creature comforts.

A lot of companies hide cheap engineering with lots of bells and whistles.

One thing though, I can't ever imagine a TOTALLY stripped down new car. I've heard UK is common for leatherette or cloth seats in the bmws. I agree that I probably wouldn't stand for it.

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #120
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
wtf why would you get flak for a 335i?

from people who think a camry is a fun car?
No, from cheapskates who think that BMW's are too expensive to own. I take them for a ride, and then they get it!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #121
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep

Driven my sisters Hyundai Genisis V6 coupe, and for the money, that's a sick car! (Hyundai owns Kia as it's lower line of cars BTW) But the Genisis is the only car that they make which I would consider.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #122
ddeliber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

The issue here isn't with BMW, but rather with people that buy new BMWs (all of us for the most part). if the market will pay it, they will charge it.

If you had a company and your product costs $1000 to make, what would be the right price to charge for it? The right answer here is not 2, 3 or 4 k but rather whatever people will pay for it. If it is not enough to make an appropriate profit, change the product or go out of business. BMW like all other car companies spend a TON of money on market research. They would be silly to charge less than the market will support, and based on their numbers it looks like the prices aren't going to change much.

Now some things IMO are wrong here. Things like good headlights are really not something that I think a car company should try to charge for. Sure they are probably not a deal breaker when someone is buying a car, but I think that it will bite them in the ass in the long run. MB and BMW both have this issue, sub par lights on a luxury car standard is a mistake. They must feel that people will pay for the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #123
ddeliber
Private First Class
Rep

People have fun knocking Hyundai. I just helped someone buy a loaded 2011 Sonata and let me tell you, this is a very nice and well built car. It is not just the features, the car itself drives quite well and they are pretty darn good looking both inside and out. It is definitely not a BMW or Benz, but the gap sure is closing. Oh, and the newer ones can sure teach BMW a thing or two about reliability at less than half the price.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #124
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

Just because it comes standard doesn't mean that company didnt charge you for it in the price.
If all companies were like BMW you'd be able to go pick up a cheap car fully stripped with just radio, air and power windows
      05-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #125
SkyWalker_J
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 Jet Black

If he's got a problem paying for features, he's going to REALLY have a problem with the maintenance costs.

Lexus would be a better fit for him.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #126
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeliber View Post
The issue here isn't with BMW, but rather with people that buy new BMWs (all of us for the most part). if the market will pay it, they will charge it.

If you had a company and your product costs $1000 to make, what would be the right price to charge for it? The right answer here is not 2, 3 or 4 k but rather whatever people will pay for it. If it is not enough to make an appropriate profit, change the product or go out of business. BMW like all other car companies spend a TON of money on market research. They would be silly to charge less than the market will support, and based on their numbers it looks like the prices aren't going to change much.

Now some things IMO are wrong here. Things like good headlights are really not something that I think a car company should try to charge for. Sure they are probably not a deal breaker when someone is buying a car, but I think that it will bite them in the ass in the long run. MB and BMW both have this issue, sub par lights on a luxury car standard is a mistake. They must feel that people will pay for the upgrade.
It's all individual taste. I personally would not have bought my E92 without the LED AE's. Some people could care less. More power to them, not my concern. Now, when I do see a bmw with the halogen lights, it makes me cringe. But then I take a step back and think "it's beautiful to them, oh well."

I didn't buy the car for the badge, but rather the look and feel. Immediately my critics badger me with the infamous question "Well, what if it had a Chevy badge instead of a BMW, would you still buy it?" The simple and easy reasoning here is that if Chevy can provide me the same product, same feel, same emotion, then yes I would buy a "Chevy 335i."

Sadly, I personally have not been swayed by any of Chevy's products, in the same way my E92 did, to purchase from them.

On the thoughts about BMW selling a subpar product in a market saturated with fierce competition, all I can say is hey, man's gotta make that dollar. It's just capitalism, can't do much ....except leave the country.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #127
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW LCI e90

I feel the exact same way towards the Xenon package. The Angel Eyes/Halos are BMWs Bread & Butter. Why make that an option? To be honest, I could care less about the HIDs, I just want the Angel Eyes/Halos to be standard. Does anyone else agree?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #128
ddeliber
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markanthony3210 View Post
I feel the exact same way towards the Xenon package. The Angel Eyes/Halos are BMWs Bread & Butter. Why make that an option? To be honest, I could care less about the HIDs, I just want the Angel Eyes/Halos to be standard. Does anyone else agree?
Personally I love the angel eyes; however, that is not my main issue. Both MB and BMW put sub-standard/inadequate lights in their base lighting package (MB is probably worse here). IMO this was a conscious decision, to make the upgraded lights more appealing and thus the up-charge. Up until I think last year, you needed to buy the whole premium 2 package (at $6k ish) to get xenon head lights in an E350, and the standard lights (even with P1) are just plain crap. Audi on the other hand charges for their LEDs but the standard lights without the LEDs I believe are good.

Sure the Angel eyes are a defining feature for BMW's styling. They are awesome period. I just don't think world class manufacturers should be putting substandard parts in their cars at all, it simply makes the whole brand look bad. Hell, the OE bulbs for an E350 are a whopping $6.30 on parts.com. A set of Sylvania (OEM for many other car makers) almost triples the amount of light produced for something like $20. I have no other explanation for why MB would make the decision they did other than intentionally wanting them to be weak (btw, the xenon bulbs are $124.80 each). I don't have as much experience with BMW, but from what I have read, they appear to be similar.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #129
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeliber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markanthony3210 View Post
Personally I love the angel eyes; however, that is not my main issue. Both MB and BMW put sub-standard/inadequate lights in their base lighting package (MB is probably worse here). IMO this was a conscious decision, to make the upgraded lights more appealing and thus the up-charge. Up until I think last year, you needed to buy the whole premium 2 package (at $6k ish) to get xenon head lights in an E350, and the standard lights (even with P1) are just plain crap. Audi on the other hand charges for their LEDs but the standard lights without the LEDs I believe are good.

Sure the Angel eyes are a defining feature for BMW's styling. They are awesome period. I just don't think world class manufacturers should be putting substandard parts in their cars at all, it simply makes the whole brand look bad. Hell, the OE bulbs for an E350 are a whopping $6.30 on parts.com. A set of Sylvania (OEM for many other car makers) almost triples the amount of light produced for something like $20. I have no other explanation for why MB would make the decision they did other than intentionally wanting them to be weak (btw, the xenon bulbs are $124.80 each). I don't have as much experience with BMW, but from what I have read, they appear to be similar.
I agree! Especially for the fact the xenon are even cheaper then the $124 you stated now. I had one of my bulbs recently go out and replaced both with OEM Osram for $100 for the pair. Not bad and for a car maker in this class at this price HIDs should absolutely be standard.
      05-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #130
goofyboots81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 428xi

Garage List
2010 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
2014 BMW 428xi  [10.00]
Quote:

05-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #131
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No, from cheapskates who think that BMW's are too expensive to own. I take them for a ride, and then they get it!
i hate that misconception.

they're only more expensive to own if you're a rube!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #132
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
Actually funny you mention that. My mom was looking for a new car last year and looked at a new Hyundai Santa Fe. Looked at fully equipped models, but when it came down to the test drive she hated it. She was too accustomed to her older X3. She ended up getting an F25 X3 despite it having a few less features but being a good bit more expensive.

Makes sense if you're going for features to stray away from the basic featured car, but topic of priority for someone purchasing a BMW should be the driving characteristics and safety. Then creature comforts.

A lot of companies hide cheap engineering with lots of bells and whistles.

One thing though, I can't ever imagine a TOTALLY stripped down new car. I've heard UK is common for leatherette or cloth seats in the bmws. I agree that I probably wouldn't stand for it.
x3's are a bit different when talking about base model

go test a cloth seat no idrive non msport halogen etc. 116i or 118i lol. i'd prefer a mitsubishi lancer
and if you've driven a non sport 1er on RFT's, you'll know the driving dynamics aren't a selling point haha

the 1ers are already hard plastic enough without further downgrades, and without the m sport stuff and halos they're really ugly on the outside.

they actually look a lot like a hyndai i30 or mid 2000's toyota corolla at that point... and they're still about 40-50% more expensive.
Appreciate 0