E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cracked BMW Alloy Wheels --- Taking legal action

03-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #463
onetwentie
Straight 6
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart1000 View Post
f*ck me sideways. Just read this thread (well some of it). This problem seems to affect loads of cars. Why on earth has there not been a safety recall on BMW wheels? I just hope to god someones wheel doesnt split at 80 mph and cause serious injury/death. Shame on BMW.
What he said!

Just spent a few hours reading this thread. OP hats off to you for trying so hard with this, I have to say when I read the defence I was gutted.

It's a no brainier that a thread as long as this proves there is an issue, think that the real shame is the sheer irony of it all - here we all are (as one member described "a bunch of enthusiasts" with a passion for our cars, discussing everything about our cars, actively supporting one another..

..yet the very same brand we are all affiliated with clearly doesnt give a twopence about its customers, or More so as Mart1000 pointed out.. Their safety!!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #464
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Well done to those who have spent so much to help the community, it's you that forced BMW's hand.

I just want to check my understanding having read the thread...

If this happens, under BMW's new guidelines they will only visually inspect, not test as before, and as long as there is not excessive visible damage the alloy will be replaced FOC?

That's the message I got from the press releases but people here still seem to be getting the runaround after that was communicated?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #465
V88TAC
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Msport E92

So in brief if the car is out of warrenty will they still cover or not? Cheers guys
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 05:50 AM   #466
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

I never thought I'd be updating this thread after 4 years, but I've just had two more. That makes a total of 6. ( 2 on my previous E90 which caused me to start this thread) and 2 on this E92 some time ago)

On this occasion, I suspected a cracked rear wheel as losing pressure each week so took into dealer to examine. I was correct , but also they discovered a front wheel cracked as well. These are the 19" 230's on the 335i

Pleased to say that even on a 56 plate with 82k miles that BMW have come good and replaced the wheels FOC. Whilst it may be under extended warranty, wheels are not covered so yet again it is down to goodwill on behalf of BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #467
Laney
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 435dx ms, E90 330d ms

Garage List
Are these on run flats?

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #468
pjs
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney View Post
Are these on run flats?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #469
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the update pjs - good to hear that they are more receptive to doing the right thing
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #470
Burned
Rep
Drives: E92 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpom23 View Post
Well done to those who have spent so much to help the community, it's you that forced BMW's hand.

I just want to check my understanding having read the thread...

If this happens, under BMW's new guidelines they will only visually inspect, not test as before, and as long as there is not excessive visible damage the alloy will be replaced FOC?

That's the message I got from the press releases but people here still seem to be getting the runaround after that was communicated?
Can you point me in the direction of these press releases?

Cant seem to find them... Would be handy to have.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #471
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned View Post
Can you point me in the direction of these press releases?

Cant seem to find them... Would be handy to have.

BMW's Corporate Communications Manager Wieland Bruch said: "The root cause why these wheels crack to a higher degree in the UK whereas they are not conspicuous in other countries, is still under investigation."Customers who had visited their dealer earlier and had their wheels inspected will not need to do so again. Rather, they should just call the 0800 number."Customers experiencing a cracked alloy for the first time will be asked to see their local dealer for inspection," he added.The company has now scrapped the original test which it used to decide whether the alloys had suffered a major road impact. Wieland Bruch told Watchdog: "This restriction does no longer apply. We are having a closer look at all cracked wheels now, independently of the 0.3mm variation."BMW's customer helpline is 0800 777 129.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/consum...w_latest.shtml
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #472
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

My mate is still welding a dozen a month.
From X5, E9x and right across the board.
Had one last week with FIVE cracks on the inner lip - God only knows.
He's so good at them now, two major tyre shops in the SW send him the BMW work too.

I have immediate access to very high end realtime industrial X-Ray, and PCN Level 3 inpectors.

Anyone near Worcester / Somerset have some scrap alloys to take a look at then?
      04-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #473
pjs
Colonel
Rep

My latest two were replaced only after they did the infamous 'run out' test and were found to be within tolerance for replacement. I still dont understand the point of doing a test like this.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #474
MLK999
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

currently owned a 2007 335i and my front tire was running low on air so went in for a check at the nearby tire shop. found out that the front rim is crack since it sat can't even call the dealer.

any suggest for getting it replace from the BMW because car still under warranty since i brought the extendion?? current city is in New York.. give me some suggestion thanks peeps..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #475
Greg330
Major
Rep
Drives: E91 335i

What's the going rate for a full repair on a cracked alloy.

I would assume they are acid dipped, welded and then re painted?

Does anyone have any experience with repaired alloys, I would imagine they are likely to crack again.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 03:36 AM   #476
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i

Hi, I sat here for 3 hours reading from the OP to bloody page 22. Took note of every development and every link posted: watchdog, VOSA etc.
I was hoping by the time I came to the very last post there would be a definite result on this. All I can tell right now is BMW has loosen up a bit on this.

I've only had my car (second owner) for two months and took it in for a rear brake service and was told the driver side rear has two hairline cracks. I saw this thread floating around but never bothered to click it due to its length and that it didn't apply to me.

I'm going to do as much research as I can on this, but can I get a quick bit of help from anyone?

Its a 57plate E93 335i Msport 225m wheels, runflats and is out of warranty I believe. 42000miles on the clock and had an MOT done the month before I bought it. I apparently have some sort of AA warranty on it lasting for 3 months so will look into that.

Question is how did it pass an MOT? at least 3 people on here said their cracked rims were found during an MOT test.

I got it from a used car dealership, do I have any grounds to complain to them?

And lastly and most importantly, is there any point me taking it to BMW? It has been in the dealer network since new.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #477
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlack View Post
I'm going to do as much research as I can on this, but can I get a quick bit of help from anyone?

Its a 57plate E93 335i Msport 225m wheels, runflats and is out of warranty I believe. 42000miles on the clock and had an MOT done the month before I bought it. I apparently have some sort of AA warranty on it lasting for 3 months so will look into that.

Question is how did it pass an MOT? at least 3 people on here said their cracked rims were found during an MOT test.

I got it from a used car dealership, do I have any grounds to complain to them?

And lastly and most importantly, is there any point me taking it to BMW? It has been in the dealer network since new.
Thanks
Firstly the car is certainly outside the manufacturers original warranty period (3yrs)
The fact that you have some form of warranty (AA) would indicate that it does not benefit from the AUC warranty from BMW,and that you bought the car from a non BMW dealer (this could be important)

The problem you have with the dealer you bought the car from will be their reluctance to accept the crack/s were there at the time of your purchase,and will no doubt say the car passed the MOT with no signs of any crack/s,and the damage was caused after purchase.
The crack/s are often easy to miss,especially if the inner is filthy dirty,which is often the case.
The crack/s are also far more easier to miss, if you're aware of the problem (cracking wheels) and trying to sell a car! (cynical,I know )

I'd firstly try the dealer the car came from (don't hold your breath),and the AA and see if the warranty covers the wheels (doubtful).

I'd also go down the main dealer (BMW) route,it's a very,very common problem,and if your car has a full BMW service history you have a chance of at least a goodwill gesture.
Your stumbling block could be that the car was purchased from a non BMW dealer (I think that's the case in your situation?).

Worth asking,if only to be told you have two hopes,neither of which will benefit you in any way!

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #478
wheelie good
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think you should just ring the customer services number on Monday, then book it in to you're perferred BMW dealer and should replace free of charge

I think BMW ain't stating you need to have full service history or even purchased the car from them as its a known fault of the alloy wheel
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #479
BIFCAIDS
Bird Flu and Cat Aids combined
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M-Sport+ MPPSK E92 M3

Im also very interested in this, seeing as my car still has 6months left on its warranty. Is it worth me heading to a dealer and asking or am I just wasting my time?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #480
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Firstly the car is certainly outside the manufacturers original warranty period (3yrs)
The fact that you have some form of warranty (AA) would indicate that it does not benefit from the AUC warranty from BMW,and that you bought the car from a non BMW dealer (this could be important)

The problem you have with the dealer you bought the car from will be their reluctance to accept the crack/s were there at the time of your purchase,and will no doubt say the car passed the MOT with no signs of any crack/s,and the damage was caused after purchase.
The crack/s are often easy to miss,especially if the inner is filthy dirty,which is often the case.
The crack/s are also far more easier to miss, if you're aware of the problem (cracking wheels) and trying to sell a car! (cynical,I know )

I'd firstly try the dealer the car came from (don't hold your breath),and the AA and see if the warranty covers the wheels (doubtful).

I'd also go down the main dealer (BMW) route,it's a very,very common problem,and if your car has a full BMW service history you have a chance of at least a goodwill gesture.
Your stumbling block could be that the car was purchased from a non BMW dealer (I think that's the case in your situation?).

Worth asking,if only to be told you have two hopes,neither of which will benefit you in any way!
Thanks, I'll give it a try in a couple days.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #481
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelie good View Post
I think you should just ring the customer services number on Monday, then book it in to you're perferred BMW dealer and should replace free of charge

I think BMW ain't stating you need to have full service history or even purchased the car from them as its a known fault of the alloy wheel
heres hoping it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIFCAIDS View Post
Im also very interested in this, seeing as my car still has 6months left on its warranty. Is it worth me heading to a dealer and asking or am I just wasting my time?
If I have a slight chance, I would think you have a lot less to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #482
no golf clubs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0d SE Titanium Silver

I am absolutely livid with this whole debacle.

BMW have agreed to change my wheel, however they are saying that the tyre is actually now damaged! I ran approx 6-10 miles on this tyre and I blew it up immediately after the warning light came on. The pressure was at 26, so I blew this back up to 36 my preferred running pressure.

I did not run this tyre for any longer than the above and now BMW state that they can replace the wheel but the tyre has been damaged and I have to pay £370 plus VAT for a replacement tyre!

I am appauled at this. I have replacement tyre insurance YET the garage say that this will not cover it.

They say that although BMW will replace the alloy I cannot simply take the alloy away and get my tyre replaced on it by a cheaper source!

So I am held to ransom! totally sick of this situation. Any advice?

***********update****************
Ok they have said that they will pay 50% of the tyre as the tyre had wear on it (it would have needed replaced this year anyway).

I think i just about can accept that, its money I was not intending in spending though just before a family holiday :-(

What riles me more is that they say the tyre was ran flat...therefore wasted its inner wall....I know that this tyre was NOT ran flat (this despite its job as a run flat is therefore questionable). When I was alerted to the pressure drop I stopped and used a compressor to rectify I would reckon I ran no more than 6 miles below 36psi at 26-28 and certainly no less.

My theory is that they damaged the tyre when doing their run out test and expected me to pick up the costs.

How many more times will this happen and what happens when I am out of warranty, its not good at all.

I can see these coming off and my 18" replicas with Winter Rubber getting used. :-(

Last edited by no golf clubs; 06-29-2012 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #483
wheelie good
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Surely the tire insurance must cover, if the tyres knackered i.e. it's lost pressure
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #484
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm now a not so proud member of the cracked alloy club!

MOT failed on rear tyres and 3 cracks in OSR tyre.

Got the tyres replaced and rang local BMW dealer (same one as pjs) and the woman said they would do the run out test as they need it in order to submit a goodwill claim.

Is the run out test just for information gathering or will it form the basis for acceptance? If it's been damaged for any length of time it would be out of tolerance anyway wouldn't it?!

Has anyone had an alloy replaced that was out of tolerance?
Appreciate 0