E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbo Oil Leak Mechanism

03-18-2020, 08:50 PM   #1
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Turbo Oil Leak Mechanism

What exactly leaks when the turbos start smoking? I don’t have a clear picture of what the sealing mechanism is that keeps the oil out of the exhaust. Is is possible that some at205 seal conditioner would temporarily stop the turbos from leaking?

I had a pretty bad smoky start up issue last year. I was assuming it was valve stem seals. The at205 stopped the leak, but it seems to be smoking ever so slightly on cold starts again. In addition, my turbos are whining ever so slightly on mhd 1+ tune. It’s still too early to tell, but it could be a siren rather than a whine. I’m working from home due to the virus outbreak so I really haven’t driven the car much lately.

If it’s possible the leak isn’t valve stem seals and is actually the turbos I might consider keeping the car and upgrading the turbos. If it needs turbos and valve stem seals I’m probably gonna drive it til it croaks and then push it over the side of a cliff...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:59 PM   #2
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

The seals in the turbos are actually made out of a metal, so a seal conditioner is not going to solve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 02:22 AM   #3
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
The seals in the turbos are actually made out of a metal, so a seal conditioner is not going to solve the issue.
That’s what I figured...

Appreciate 0