E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 07 horror story

11-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

07 horror story

Before I go on my rant, let me just start off by saying that I love my 328i to death. It has given me much trouble and the honda I left for it is still running and it's 14 years old and has 130k miles on it without a single problem. However, the bmw has been an absolute thrill to own. I will get another bmw after this one. Ok, so here we go..

My parents bought the car as new in 2007. I believe the first bit if trouble was a window regulator or something dumb. While still being under warranty, my dad took it to the dealership and had it replaced. The door was never put on right and now the knob that identifies that the doors unlocked doesn't stick up as much. (Not a big deal i don't care but just telling everything.) At about 35,000 miles, the battery died and we had to get it jumped. My dad assumed it would be like any old car and took it to his shop and tried to swap the battery out himself. When the car lost power, the steering column locked up and the car had to be put on a flatbed and taken to the dealership. The car was then sold to me and at this point the car has around 65k on it. Not a month after I got it the water pump died. It went to a bmw dealership out of warranty paid close to $1,200 for a new set up. Car came back no problem. A week later the service engine soon light came on and I took it back. Guy claimed it was a fuse and when I got it back the light was off. After a few miles it popped back on. I didn't care at that point and since the car showed no sign of issue I let it go. Fast forward to a month ago. The starter died. It was running the day before and then it died. I had to get it towed from New York all the way down to south jersey. The starter was replaced and apparently the service engine soon light was from an o2 sensor wire shorted out and I had to find it and repair it. There is actually more times it had to go to the dealership but I just forget. They were stupid little things but none the less.

So that's my story of my 07. I'm truly hoping you guys aren't having these problems. The money is money. But the time I had to spend worrying and caring for this car is unreal. In fact, every time my bmw went down on me, I went right back to my old Honda to tote me around. Here my final thoughts. It was a first gen and it was the first time bmw really threw a lot of electronics into it. The honda is a great not so fun car but reliable. I love the bmw but if I had to choose again, I'd of waited a few years. Sorry if this was a dumb post but I had to tell everyone in case anyone's having problems I've probably been there and I can help you out.

Thanks for the read.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
XxJeffxX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Thanks for your post. After having my e90 325i for the past few years I too have been plagued with problems lately. Just recently my transmission has been slipping from 4th to 5th and yesterday my starter also decided to die on me, luckily close to home. I have come to the conclusion that this car is trying to suck me dry of my money, but honestly i'm willing to spend it because i love my car with a passion, having this 325i being the first BMW in the family, I now know why owners are so passionate about their cars. So far i've replace my door lock actuators, water pump and thermostat, ignition coils, and now i will have transmission work done soon as well as changing my starter.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJeffxX
Thanks for your post. After having my e90 325i for the past few years I too have been plagued with problems lately. Just recently my transmission has been slipping from 4th to 5th and yesterday my starter also decided to die on me, luckily close to home. I have come to the conclusion that this car is trying to suck me dry of my money, but honestly i'm willing to spend it because i love my car with a passion, having this 325i being the first BMW in the family, I now know why owners are so passionate about their cars. So far i've replace my door lock actuators, water pump and thermostat, ignition coils, and now i will have transmission work done soon as well as changing my starter.
I agree. Bmw definitely designed this car to make them a lot of money. And sorry about your transmission. I pray I don't have that issue. Wish you luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Sucks man, these cars can be hit and miss.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
brinkmann
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
I agree. Bmw definitely designed this car to make them a lot of money.
Yes, but not in the sense that you're implying. They certainly didn't design the car with the intent that these things fail prematurely.

Sorry guys, but it's just the nature of the beast. If you want to sacrifice performance for reliability, stick with a Honda!
      11-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

If you think a 2007 328 is a horror story...try a 335 buddy
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
XxJeffxX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
I agree. Bmw definitely designed this car to make them a lot of money. And sorry about your transmission. I pray I don't have that issue. Wish you luck!
Thankfully i got it looked at and will only cost me 1300 compared to 6100 for a new transmission, and i doubt you'll have transmission issues, most don't
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
mikolo-n54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

LOL thats nothing compared to my 07 335i... Thank god for warranty or I would be deep into 10k for all the repairs covered.
      11-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
XxJeffxX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkmann View Post
Yes, but not in the sense that you're implying. They certainly didn't design the car with the intent that these things fail prematurely.

Sorry guys, but it's just the nature of the beast. If you want to sacrifice performance for reliability, stick with a Honda!
100% agree with you, the parts i replace with OEM is superior quality to anything on hondas or something like that. It just so happens that when it breaks the part is quite expensive, but expect it to last a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkmann View Post

Japanese have proven over and over again that you can have reliable performance car: S2000, Acura TL, NSX, G37, GTR, LFA etc. I completely understand OP's frustration. These cars are nice machines when everything is working. I put 120K on my previous car, 03 Acura TL-S, and never had a single electrical gremlin or major premature part failure but I agree that BMW handling is superior. The cost diff is not small either. Engine wise Honda is more reliable than just about any other brand including their other machines (generators, marine engines etc).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

The price you pay for the first year of a new model.

That really is a horror story OP. Thought about ditching it for a new or used BMW?
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

Really? Nobody is going to say it? Ok... You have to pay to play! Lol.

You're right though, other makers to do reliability way better! Our other car is a 2011 Honda crz with 98k on it with no repairs ever, not even brakes! Oil/filter and air filter changes are all it has needed.

Only thing I can say is many have had worse luck than you, if it makes you feel any better. When they work properly they are amazing cars, but they need more care than the typical appliance vehicle. Whether it's worth it or not is up to the individual.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #13
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

My 2007 335I was the worse car I ever owned. Loooong list of problems. Long story short, BMW bought the car back, then I decided to go with the 328i sport package. 5 years old and still going strong.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

BMW will ALWAYS require more maintenance than Asian cars or American cars.
My 335 has been flawless and this is a 3/2007 manufacture date with the exception of the ABS module I recently replaced.
BMW squeezed their suppliers to reduce costs which they did and as a result the reliability has been reduced as well. How many people come to this forum and post my car is great runs perfect? Not many because they have no interest.
Water pump
regulator
battery
transmissions
starters
all are supplier issues which BMW had better address and in most cases they have.

Educating yourself about the car is valuable in keeping it running a long time since things like a transmission draining and refill keeps the transmission happy.

Case in point. My last two BMWs both M3's one with 91K miles and one with 284K miles all were squawk free. The 91K miles BMW never needed anything but a brake switch light. The 284K mile one needed a lot of parts as they wore out but the engine was just fine and the transmission was replaced at well past 200K miles.

I am watching the F models now to see how well they are working out because BMWs parts suppliers are the number 1 issue. BMWs also use an over abundance of fasteners (German thing) when one or two will do. Also they come up with solutions in search of a problem referencing battery registration as an example.

I love driving them and have owned about 13 of them and all of mine have been reliable. It can't be the luck of the draw.

OP good luck and be proactive on maintenance and hopefully the 328 will treat you better in the future...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #15
Frenk
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 328i X-Drive M-Sport

first model year
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #16
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenk View Post
first model year
I would agree with that if post 07 people didn't have weird issues also but they do.

The better explanation is they are hit or miss like one poster said.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #17
Andrey
Average Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, Gone 2011 BMW 550i,

I've heard so many similar stories with first model year. One of the reason i bought last model year e90 335 was built 12/2010.
BMW is a lot more expensive than Honda, toyota etc... but ITS WORTH IT.
I owned 2001 525i and sold it to a friend with 200k on the clock, he still drives it everyday.
I can see my self driving e90 for 15- 20 years and ppl will look at it twice, honda.....well, ppl will think something is wrong with me.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I got my 325i with 40k miles it now has 75k so far the only things I've replaced are the a/c compressor, the passenger rear door actuator, and a couple valve cover bolts. The only thing major was the a/c compressor but that was covered by the warranty. I wouldn't mind trying to keep it going as long as possible it's a very comfortable, fun car to drive, and even though its just a 325i it has a decent amount of power compared to most cars.

Btw my rear door lock does the same thing. It doesn't come out as far when unlocked.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #19
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
If you think a 2007 328 is a horror story...try a 335 buddy

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #20
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

Sorry to hear your Bimmer woes OP. Like a couple other posters here, I also own an '06 325i. When I bought it almost 1 1/2 years ago at 54K no history was present. 6 years totally blank. I was a little apprehensive and it was a risk to say the least, but it fit my criteria so I took a leap of faith. I'm almost at 92K now(yep, I drive a lot!), and have maybe spent $1200 on typical maintenance items, like a mech sleeve leak, belt tensioner and an oil filter housing gasket. I got lucky as it's been a joy to drive and reliable thus far, but like everyone knows here, you can't go into BMW ownership blindly, not that you did. Somewhere down the line and it's kind of unfortunate, but it will sap some money. Sucks though, almost seems you got one of the lemons that rolled off the assembly line. I say screw new and go find a nice example of an older model where history as well as reliability can be confirmed.
      11-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
7daysaweek
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan (sport)

Me too...

In the last two years:
Two window regulators
Valve cover gasket
Oil filter housing gasket
Oil pan gasket
Broken suspension bushing
Bad rear wheel bearing
Water pump
Emergency brake issue
I'm sure there's a few I'm forgetting...

Currently:
Steering angle sensor
Random seatbelt and airbag lights
Windshield washer fluid pump

I did some of the work and paid to have some done to the tune of roughly $5k.

I love driving the car but I have a feeling I won't have it much longer. As fun as it is unfortunately its getting near the point that it won't be worth it anymore.

It really sucks.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 01:28 AM   #22
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7daysaweek
In the last two years:
Two window regulators
Valve cover gasket
Oil filter housing gasket
Oil pan gasket
Broken suspension bushing
Bad rear wheel bearing
Water pump
Emergency brake issue
I'm sure there's a few I'm forgetting...

Currently:
Steering angle sensor
Random seatbelt and airbag lights
Windshield washer fluid pump

I did some of the work and paid to have some done to the tune of roughly $5k.

I love driving the car but I have a feeling I won't have it much longer. As fun as it is unfortunately its getting near the point that it won't be worth it anymore.

It really sucks.
Agreed
Appreciate 0