E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Muffler Options...moving to a state that requires

04-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
WilliamLAdams
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

Muffler Options...moving to a state that requires

I have an e92 335i that I did a muffler delete on. I will be moving next month to Houston for residency and the county I will be living in requires emissions testing including the presence of a muffler. It's just a visual inspection for the presence of a muffler and there are no noise level specifications.

So I just wanted to ask if there was a standalone muffler that I could get welded in to pass inspection that still would give a nice exhaust note. Or if there were any other thrifty options to explore before I am forced to have the oh-so-quiet stock exhaust put back on. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Please keep in mind I am a broke medical student with a stack of student loans and I just bought a place in Houston. Needless to say, the budget is tight.

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLAdams View Post
I have an e92 335i that I did a muffler delete on. I will be moving next month to Houston for residency and the county I will be living in requires emissions testing including the presence of a muffler. It's just a visual inspection for the presence of a muffler and there are no noise level specifications.

So I just wanted to ask if there was a standalone muffler that I could get welded in to pass inspection that still would give a nice exhaust note. Or if there were any other thrifty options to explore before I am forced to have the oh-so-quiet stock exhaust put back on. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Please keep in mind I am a broke medical student with a stack of student loans and I just bought a place in Houston. Needless to say, the budget is tight.

Thanks everyone.
I would not be too concerned. I live near DFW (also part of Texas with emissions and safety inspections) and just passed inspection while fbo running stage 2, no front cats, no mufflers,
no questions asked. Just make sure all your obd monitors are showing "ready". You are allowed 1 "not ready" and still pass.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
ZNITE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2009 E92 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLAdams

Thanks everyone.
I presume you did a straight pipe as long you don't have a catless DP...you're fine ...But if you do have catless DP....you need a DP fix or you need to do your emission test in another county where it's not required a visual muffler in place..you're allowed to pass with 1 not ready status.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
WilliamLAdams
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Stock downpipes are still in place as well as both cats. No codes. All OBD monitors should be ready. In the county I'm currently in they do an OBD test as well as the sniff thing in the tailpipe, they just don't require a muffler. But I've passed that every year since I did the delete.

So they just didn't look underneath? Is this common practice at most inspection stations?

My fear is I'm going to get the newly certified inspector that throws the book at my car. (And I have 5% tint with 50% down the entire windshield so I'm trying to get a medical exemption and then just hope they don't notice the light tint on the windshield lol.)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Just say "No Habla" like everybody else does down there, and it'll pass. Laws here in Texas only apply to actual taxpayers. I know, like you. Seriously though, ynh90 pegged it. Get the a r e a 74 fix.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
WilliamLAdams
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
Just say "No Habla" like everybody else does down there, and it'll pass. Laws here in Texas only apply to actual taxpayers. I know, like you. Seriously though, ynh90 pegged it. Get the a r e a 74 fix.
But I don't have catless DP's.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #7
TrollToll
Banned
Rep

You don't need a downpipe fix. Ever. In your case all you need is to go get an inspection.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #8
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere90 View Post
I would not be too concerned. I live near DFW (also part of Texas with emissions and safety inspections) and just passed inspection while fbo running stage 2, no front cats, no mufflers,
no questions asked. Just make sure all your obd monitors are showing "ready". You are allowed 1 "not ready" and still pass.
+1

You'll be fine
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #9
WilliamLAdams
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Alright I'll just throw my stock exhaust on the UHaul and hope I don't need it. Thanks for the help guys.

Any tips/tricks/advice for the tint in case I don't get a medical exemption?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
TrollToll
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLAdams View Post
Alright I'll just throw my stock exhaust on the UHaul and hope I don't need it. Thanks for the help guys.

Any tips/tricks/advice for the tint in case I don't get a medical exemption?
That's probably going to be an issue unless you find a shady inspection station. Cops will get you for it too.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:07 PM   #11
WilliamLAdams
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere90 View Post
That's probably going to be an issue unless you find a shady inspection station. Cops will get you for it too.
If it comes to it, any suggestions for tint shops or muffler shops in the area?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #12
TrollToll
Banned
Rep

Not Houston. I'm 5 hours north.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 09:10 PM   #13
WilliamLAdams
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update for anyone who cares/was curious. My doctor wrote me a prescription for window tint due to sensitive eyes and got the state issued window tint medical exemption certificate. I had my car tested today and PASSED without mufflers and with 50% tint on the windshield.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Appreciate 1