E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > exporting car to Congo

12-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

exporting car to Congo

Ok, I was not sure about who/where/how to ask this question. I need to ship a car to Africa, Congo to be exact. Does anyone know the logistics and/or company that does the shipping out of East Coast (say Baltimore, MD). If you do I would highly appreciate it. Please PM me when you get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Any time I have shipped my cars I have had to deal with a transport broker who then talked to the actual shipping company. I have never had to ship a vehicle overseas out of my own pocket, but I would assume it probably works the same way. Do some google search for vehicle shippers and make some phone calls. FedEx now ships vehicles too, but the service is geared more towards high end cars and is not very cheap. Shipping to the Congo is a bit of a change from what most companies do so it may take some work to find the right company.
      12-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

as it was pointed out you not going to be able to contact ocean shipping company directly and most like it would not ship out of Baltimore it will probable need to go out of NJ since most East Coast cars go in and out of the Port of Newark. Do a search on international cars shipping companies and see if they are any in your local area, they will handle all the rest of the work for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep

awesome, i appreciate the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
TotalPower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Vert AW

Shipping it there is easy, you can always just book a container and ship it....getting it out of customs is another deal
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep

i just need to get it there and ship it from here. We have people who has contacts to get it out of customs in Congo.

So do you have any good contact for shipper or to book container?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Are you sure this isnt a Scam?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: RRS GT2

^ lol
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
Are you sure this isnt a Scam?
OP, are you selling your car to someone in Congo?

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
OP, are you selling your car to someone in Congo?

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep

lol no. i am not selling my car to anyone in Congo. My good friend's cousin lives there and has alcohol factory. Everything in Congo is 3x the price, a damn T-shirt cost 120$ USD. Anyways, he is interested in buying a car from here and having us ship it over to him. This is someone we know and in no way it's scam. Btw, they don't want bmw(s) or benzes in Congo. parts are way too expensive. He's looking for Honda Pilot type car.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Arben72
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield
lol no. i am not selling my car to anyone in Congo. My good friend's cousin lives there and has alcohol factory. Everything in Congo is 3x the price, a damn T-shirt cost 120$ USD. Anyways, he is interested in buying a car from here and having us ship it over to him. This is someone we know and in no way it's scam. Btw, they don't want bmw(s) or benzes in Congo. parts are way too expensive. He's looking for Honda Pilot type car.
Lol I shipped my Honda pilot to Europe. Get a broker, trust me its worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Aren't there going to be some taxes and fees with transferring the car over that will almost make the savings very minimal?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
Aren't there going to be some taxes and fees with transferring the car over that will almost make the savings very minimal?
This.

What makes those cars so expensive there are all the import duties, etc. that need to be paid to get them there in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
Arben72
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ
It was 3000 euros to register my Honda to Europe. That is if you bother registering it at all. In Eastern Europe (Albania, Macedonia specifically in my case) most people just run American plates.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #16
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arben72 View Post
It was 3000 euros to register my Honda to Europe. That is if you bother registering it at all. In Eastern Europe (Albania, Macedonia specifically in my case) most people just run American plates.
Africa's got to be a little different than Europe.

I did a couple Google searches and to import to south Africa is along the lines of an additional 70% of the cars value. Now Congo may be different, but its going to be a hefty amount to import a car to a location that has that high of duties and taxes on stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #17
fatgrandma
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
Yeah... cousin. I bet he is a prince and you just need to send him your car and he will make you very rich after you gave him your credit card number
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #18
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Contact the shipping line's agent directly. You just need the price of a 20ft dry van. Drive the car in (real easy), and someone to lash it for you properly using the harness hooks in the box. I recommend driving the car to the container yard as to save yourself the trucking back/forth from Baltimore.
for Africa, I recommend using Safmarine (Maersk subsidiary). they are kind of the shit for Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arben72 View Post
Lol I shipped my Honda pilot to Europe. Get a broker, trust me its worth it.
They will rip you on the shipping rate. They usually triple the shipping rate given by the line, and for no good reason

If you're insistent on not doing any leg work, at least get a rate from the line to use as a bargaining chip against any freight forwarder. Pit them against each other for the lowest rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
If the car is new, you'll probably get the shit end of the stick. You can however bring it in and drive it on US plates if the car is under his name. But that's a whole new set of paperwork. If the car is over a certain mileage (varies from place to place), the customs price drops a lot because it is considered a used car.
Also, people who move newly are usually allowed some exemption when bringing in "their car". Again, this is most of the civilized world, not too sure about Congo.
      12-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #19
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep

Ok, thanks everyone for your feedback and also thanks to those with sarcastic remarks. Not sure why some people are always compelled to say something negative. This is a genuine transaction and there are no prince or kings involved.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #20
fatgrandma
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
Ok, thanks everyone for your feedback and also thanks to those with sarcastic remarks. Not sure why some people are always compelled to say something negative. This is a genuine transaction and there are no prince or kings involved.
Chillax... it's the OT section - you have to live with stupid comebacks here
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
Contact the shipping line's agent directly. You just need the price of a 20ft dry van. Drive the car in (real easy), and someone to lash it for you properly using the harness hooks in the box. I recommend driving the car to the container yard as to save yourself the trucking back/forth from Baltimore.
for Africa, I recommend using Safmarine (Maersk subsidiary). they are kind of the shit for Africa.

They will rip you on the shipping rate. They usually triple the shipping rate given by the line, and for no good reason

If you're insistent on not doing any leg work, at least get a rate from the line to use as a bargaining chip against any freight forwarder. Pit them against each other for the lowest rate.

If the car is new, you'll probably get the shit end of the stick. You can however bring it in and drive it on US plates if the car is under his name. But that's a whole new set of paperwork. If the car is over a certain mileage (varies from place to place), the customs price drops a lot because it is considered a used car.
Also, people who move newly are usually allowed some exemption when bringing in "their car". Again, this is most of the civilized world, not too sure about Congo.
I'm PMing you if I ever move to Africa (no sarcasm)!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #22
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Hope you have a good alarm and gun to go with it once it gets there.
Established places like Jo'sburg and Durban are dangerous enough.
BMW in the Congo makes me nervous just thinking about it.
Appreciate 0