E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Washer pump not working. Any ideas?

12-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #23
scottydog1979
England
Rep
Drives: bmw 320d e90

The pump itself was quite easy to fit, to be honest the hardest part was removing and re fitting the inner arch. Make sure you have a small bucket to hand ready to catch any liquid that is in the washer bottle when you remove the old pump as it runs out quite quickly, apart from that it was all good. After market pump only cost me £15.00 too so cheap fix also.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #24
Havana
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 N52 - Individual

My washers stopped working on my old E90, but they were just heavily clogged up. Stuck a pressure washer in the filler neck and out came a swamp of all kinds of what looked like plants?! Anyway hope you all get it sorted
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #25
DarkEnigma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320

FIXED Bought a new pump - wasn't sure if it had broken or not but figured by the time I have the wheel off, arch liner and access to pump I might as well have one to hand if it was faulty.

Turned out, the pump was a funny colour in certain places... it was definitely not functioning properly... anyway, fitted new pump as per below and worked perfectly again. New pump on left, old on the right - reservoir draining in the background

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #26
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

Ah the satisfaction of a job well done
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #27
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

if you guys want it to stop blocking up again after cleaning it out/replacing parts then u need to use the bmw screenwash. you can get a 20 litre load for 40quid ish. You might be able to get away with using stuff that works down to -46C when undiluted. Think aldi do a 5L bottle for 6 quid.

If you search this subject u will find what I say been backed up. I used to have this issue on my 130i for 3 yrs. Once I changed to ethanol/alcohol based stuff the issue never reappeared. Also, it works...no more frozen screenwash! (when diluted as required)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #28
DervJim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91 330D Touring

Realise fully that this is an old topic, but just to add to this, I had the same thing.

My washers stopped working, and the wipers worked in normal mode, but not in wash/wipe mode. No noise from the washer pump.

Fuses all fine, and no error alert etc. Decided to chance just replacing the pump as I got a used one for £8 and wasn't sure what else to try. Managed to replace the pump without removing the wheel (I couldn't find the lock nut adapter!), but it was awkward.

New pump fitted and it is all working fine.

So I guess that the system either knows if the pump isn't working, OR that no water has come out, and disables the wipers in that case. Bit stupid that it can figure that out but not actually tell you anything is wrong despite all the other warnings you get!

2005 E90 320D btw.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #29
lifeofjono
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 2012

does anyone know if you but the pump does the little filter bit come with it?
As pump works but nothing coming out so more than likely the filters blocked but going to replace pump too to be on safe side.

ordered this one, this should fit right? amazon checker says it does.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Febi-23113-W...mw+washer+pump

If it doesn't come with a filter would this filter fit?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/APA-Industri...mw+washer+pump
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #30
sofgwhat
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Just curious if the folks that experienced the issue of the wipers not working along with the washer pump, but wipers worked in when turned on without washers have also headlight washers.

I'm having the same issue; wipers work normally when on but nothing when pulling the stick back to activate washers, no sound, no wiper movement, no headlight washers. Just finding it hard to believe that the wipers won't work and neither washer pump when only the one motor is bad but it wouldn't surprise me since it's a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 08:39 AM   #31
Simpson196
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 320D M Sport

Bit of a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havana View Post
My washers stopped working on my old E90, but they were just heavily clogged up. Stuck a pressure washer in the filler neck and out came a swamp of all kinds of what looked like plants?! Anyway hope you all get it sorted

I'm fairly new to the BMW scene, and definitely new to the 'fixing cars' scene, I've been meaning to get my car into the garage as I am pretty sure my filter is clogged up, I get the pump sound and the wipers go if i hold the the stalk in, but if I very quickly pull it and let go before the wipers start going i get a half arsed squirt of screen wash for a few times before nothing comes out again. Havana you said just sticking a pressure washer in the filler neck and letting it all go worked, is that correct or are you just messing about because I really cant afford to replace anything I break at the moment
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #32
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

If you've been using insufficient screenwash concentrations, you get a sludgey ming building up in the tank. Best way to clear it out is to pull the pump out and give the tank a good flushing out with a garden hose.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 06:40 AM   #33
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

I'm suffering with this problem as well.

I had a cracked washer bottle that I have replaced today(used item with 2 pumps). All connected but no water coming through. So I swapped the windscreen washer pump with my old one and now wipers dont move

Wipers work fine in normal use just nothing when trying to clean windscreen. Plus obviously both used pumps I have must be knackered. Going to purchase a new pump for windscreen and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #34
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

UPDATE :

Seems I was having a retard few days. I didn't actually replace the washer pump with my brand new but another used one in the garage lol.

Today I fitted the brand new one and bang works perfectly. Next job is to replace the headlight washer units as they don't come out of the bumper any more.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #35
mehrlovin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E90

Is it possible to replace the unit by cranking the wheel all the way to the left? My pump failed, makes no noise and the fuse looks ok. Wipers work fine. I really do not want to jack the car up though.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 05:22 AM   #36
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrlovin View Post
Is it possible to replace the unit by cranking the wheel all the way to the left? My pump failed, makes no noise and the fuse looks ok. Wipers work fine. I really do not want to jack the car up though.
It might be possible but you have to get the arch liner out which is MUCH easier with the wheel out the way. I wouldn’t even bother trying to do it without removing the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 10:53 PM   #37
Nmrniksoh
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 320d 2011

In my case... when I driving my car no sound from washer pump and no water spray out but boths work fine in standing still (sometimes washer pump has sound and wipers work fine but no water spray out...
Appreciate 0