E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > help with Service needed notification

05-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
mikeymika
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 320i, ROUTE nav.

help with Service needed notification

hi all,

i know there are a lot of topics about this item, but the ones i found are all about resetting the individual notifications such as oil replacement notification and brakes etc. with the odo and BC butten.

i know how to do that. and i've reset them all since i just did my maintenance en changed almost all of it except rear brake disc and pads since they were still good.

the only problem is that i dont know how to get rid off the "service needed" notification when i press the start/stop button. see below:

and since i reset the brake notification i also got this icon every time i take out the key now:

I'm sure this can all be done but i just dont know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mikeymika; 05-10-2014 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

The process is the same as resetting oil interval, brake interval, etc. Get into the service menu with the odometer reset button and blinker stalk, then scroll through the options until you see the service interval. Instead of just hitting "reset" you have to program the month that you want it to come back on. Do this like you would time and date, ie scroll to the desired month, hit BC, then scroll to the desired year, hit BC.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 05:28 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

What I am about to tell you is for American market BMWs (E90s).

The E9X CBS system has three inspections:
- State/province-required safety inspection (date selectable)
- State/province-required emissions inspection (date selectable)
- General inspection (every 30,000 miles)

The CBS 30,000 mile inspection requirement pops up every 30,000 miles; it is not programmable to change the interval and is only resettable. It is just a general inspection service that BMW will perform if you bring the car into the dealer. It inspects:suspension, exhaust, halfshaft and CV boots, lubes door locks and hinges, inspects for rust, wheel bearings, and general operation of the car, etc. (basically what used to be performed during BMW's "Inspection II" service). Search for "red car on lift" and you'll find out more info. If you feel you have kept up on inspection of these general items then you can reset the notification just like any of the other CBS maintenance items.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
mikeymika
Rep

thx guy's,

I think i figured it out now.
i reset most of the things, i also reset the brake pads on the front since i replaced them.
sadly it now shows ------ as kms i still got left. while trying to keep resetting the front brakes i accidently reset the rear brakes also. so now both brake indicaters (front and rear) are showing ------ kms on it.

i did some research and found out this is a common issue with the sensors. so i did order some new ones (front and rear), so i hope this helpes the problems (also the "service" sign when i put in the key and the "red car on lift" when i remove the key).

i also found a topic were the said they tricked the onboard computer by just replacing a resistor for the wear sensor. then reseting the brake indicator. it then shows the full milage again. after the reset they just put in the wearing sensor and it would still work.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420890

its worth a try i guess, but to do so i do need to know the resistor value to use for this.
maybe anyone know what it is?

thanks again.

Last edited by mikeymika; 05-14-2014 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

If you always replace the wear sensors when replacing the pads, you'll never have any issues with the CBS reporting 0 miles on new pads. I'll never understand why people just don't service the brake system correctly. Saving $20 on a sensor just gives you headaches.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
mikeymika
Rep

Hi all,

Finally got rid of the service and brake replacement notifiction.

I got 2 new sensors. First replaced the front, tried t reset, but did not work sadly, tried with the new,old and resistors, or just shorting the circuit but nothing worked.
After this i thought there might be a connection between front and back sensor? So i fitted new sensor in front and back, reset and bingo... both were reset.
But since the back still got some kms on it i plugged the old sensor back in and this worked! It now shows the full kms for the front brake pads and 14000 for the back.

When this was fixed, the service and red car on a lift are also gone, so im good to go.

Thx for your replies all!
Appreciate 0