Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TPMS Malfunction after tire repair ?!??!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

TPMS Malfunction after tire repair ?!??!

I have a 2009 335i coupe. never had a TPMS problem.

My front driver tire went flat and TPMS reported properly. I mounted a spare tire (5 series) and the TPMS still tells me the front tire is low air and threw the stock tire in the trunk.

The shop repaired the tire and mount it back on for me. The I-drive CIC now tells me "TPMS Malfunction".

I can not reset it because the reset function is grayed out. I tried everything.

Then, I drove off and then about 2 minutes later, the TPMS malfunction went away and this time I was allowed to reset the TPMS by coming to a full stop.

So does anyone know why there was a glitch like this?

I remember when I had brand new tires installed, that the TPMS never malfunctioned like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
RequestTheOverhead
Going Mach Chicken
Rep
Drives: e90 pre-LCI 335

Garage List
I had the exact same problem pop up today. Had a flat yesterday (thanks to a screw), got the tire repaired and patched, then today I start my car to run to the grocery store and it throws a TPM Malfunction. Drive to store, get what I need, come back out, start the car and it pops up again, but then goes away after a minute or so of driving. It's been intermittent all day today.

Edit: After continuing down my search results (this thread was the first one), I've noticed some people have reported TPM malfunctions due to led AE's. I just installed led AE's on weds.... might have to experiment. Also getting a Right AHL malfunction, possibly related?
| Cold, "Sport", and Luxury packages | Tinted | OEM Black Lines | JB4 | DCI | ER FMIC | Forge DV's | Custom exhaust with secondary cat delete, Magnaflow mufflers, black Dimisa Tips | Staggered 18" V718's, Matte Black | Flappy Paddles | Titanium CF Trim Wrap | BMW Performance Shifter and E-Brake Handle |

Last edited by RequestTheOverhead; 01-12-2013 at 01:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
TheSoCal335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RequestTheOverhead View Post
I had the exact same problem pop up today. Had a flat yesterday (thanks to a screw), got the tire repaired and patched, then today I start my car to run to the grocery store and it throws a TPM Malfunction. Drive to store, get what I need, come back out, start the car and it pops up again, but then goes away after a minute or so of driving. It's been intermittent all day today.

Edit: After continuing down my search results (this thread was the first one), I've noticed some people have reported TPM malfunctions due to led AE's. I just installed led AE's on weds.... might have to experiment. Also getting a Right AHL malfunction, possibly related?
I think when you have a flat tire and then when you start driving on it the heat from the driving, the road, weather etc inflates the tire more and will make the light go away and when you park it your tire gets flat till you drive agian.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
RequestTheOverhead
Going Mach Chicken
Rep
Drives: e90 pre-LCI 335

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoCal335i View Post
I think when you have a flat tire and then when you start driving on it the heat from the driving, the road, weather etc inflates the tire more and will make the light go away and when you park it your tire gets flat till you drive agian.
The TPM malfunction is different from a flat tire. The malfunction is a failure of the entire system (for whatever reason), where a flat tire will actually cause the TPMS to indicate a flat tire warning and will show you which tire is flat.

As for the flat tire, it would have to be pretty warm out, or you would have to put A LOT of heat into those tires, to make the air warm enough to expend the tire off rim (an F1 car could maybe do it). *Caution-Physics imminent* More than likely what you're referring to is the centrifugal force applied by the rotational inertia of the wheel itself pushing the tire against the pavement resulting in rim being lifted off the ground (Equal and opposite reaction).
| Cold, "Sport", and Luxury packages | Tinted | OEM Black Lines | JB4 | DCI | ER FMIC | Forge DV's | Custom exhaust with secondary cat delete, Magnaflow mufflers, black Dimisa Tips | Staggered 18" V718's, Matte Black | Flappy Paddles | Titanium CF Trim Wrap | BMW Performance Shifter and E-Brake Handle |
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Chino Tom
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i E91

I'm searching here because after the dealer replaced both rear tires, we
are getting a TPMS malfunction. The car is in it's second day back at the
dealer, and so far they haven't figured it out. 2010 E91
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
phillip@bmpdesign
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

TPMS operates on radio waves, actually closer to bluetooth, the valve stem is the transmitter and the receiver is typically mounted in the quarter panel. To conserve power, the transmitter doesn't broadcast every second, it usually sends out pulses ever minute or two and sometimes only when driving. You probably got the malfunction because the receiver couldn't detect the transmitter, then when it detected it the malfunction went away.

10/10 a TPMS malfunction is where the receiver can't find the signal of the transmitter.
Like us on facebook!
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
dsauch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I just had an issue where both rear tires hardly registered any pressure using the manual tool, although they didnt look flat to me (perhaps due to run-flat?).
But TPS didnt come up even though it always did before...
Is it possible this is due to recent break change - could the mechanic have messed up the TPM somehow?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Frenk
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 328i X-Drive M-Sport

Is it possible that winter condition (ice + snow) prevent the TPMS signal to be carried to the receiver ?
Appreciate 0