E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Helix Attache is a winner.

11-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Helix Attache is a winner. "Updated"

So there you have the overall impression.

I was at Helix today to get my car installed with their "still under development" tune. Its the 13psi tune pretty much equal to the PROcede v1.4x models.

First off I want to let it be known this is still in a testing phase. It is not ready yet for public release as there are a few tweaks that are needed here and there.

That being said, I know you want the good stuff...numbers.

Unlike other tuners out there, we decided to post up the median numbers, not the BEST numbers. This way its more honest and accurately closer to what most people will get. Again, this was on a Mustang Dyno, so take it as you will.

Median Base run: Max hp=257.5 Max tq=266.1
Median PROced run: Max hp=293.6 Max tq=344.2 for a gain of 36.1hp/78.1tq
Median Helix run: Max hp=309.1 Max tq=339.1 for a gain of 51.6hp/73tq

So if youre a number junky and thats all you want to know, youll probably stop there. If you really want to know what makes this tune so great keep reading.

First thing I noticed when I started my car was how silent, smooth and less vibrational it was. There was absolutely no dipping of the needle on the tach, just rock solid steady. Honestly felt like I could have been in a Lexus thats how you couldnt tell the car was running.

Driving away I noticed that the throttle response was instantly crisper. No matter what gear I was in, just tapping the throttle made the car move. The car felt like it always had reserve power from the feeling of the pedal. Kinda egging you on like "why are you just cruising, press it down more and feel it".

Ive driven my PROcede car and Ive driven a JB2 car(auto though). Where the PROcede seems to enjoy making the bulk of its power down low(2-5k) the JB2 seems to enjoy making the bulk of its power up high(4-7k). The Helix Attache feels like a combination of both of them. The power is completely linear and smooth from sun-up to sun-down. No matter where the needle is on the tach, theres power for you.

I tend to do a lot of traffic driving and I leave it in second gear a lot. Most of the time I just start off in second too just so I dont have to shift as much. Whereas the PROcede left the car a little jerky, the Attache was smooth as butter as if I was in first gear. This is going to help me in the winter if Im trying to get through some snowy days. Ill feel more confident in feeling more of the car being in control.

On the highway Im the kind of guy who will cruise in 6th at 80mph all day long. If I go to pass or accellerate, I leave it in 6th and just go from there. I like being in the meat of the tq range. Tonight driving home I could not stop driving at 100. I remember when I first got the PROcede I couldnt stop doing 60-100 pulls all the way home just to feel the rush. Unfortunately the Attache is like, sure, I feel great like that but why dont you cruise with me here at 100 and then go to 140. Ok, so I obliged and did a couple of them. Leaving it in 6th gear they felt wickely quick.

Now, Im not much of a speeder as some of you might know. Im more of the 0-60 kinda guy or the twisty backroad kinda guy. Ive never felt my car feel so rock solid doing 140 before and I was there so fast I didnt have time to get it into my head that I didnt want to go that fast.

I then tried a couple downshifts(instead of just leaving it in 6th) to 4th gear at 80. The needle swung up the tach as did the needle in the speedo. Damn, this was not like the PROcede at all. Again, this car wasnt picky as to what gear you were in or where the needle was on the tach, it just gave you power all the time.

So I was itching for a fight since I had newfound confidence. I am not a racer but I was in a different state and on a highway I knew and they dont really have cops on it. Plus I was already doing my usual 80 in a 55 anyway(not my fault BMW's feel more comfortable at that speed).

I came upon a silver 300 SRT8. I felt that this must be coincidence as the tuner for the Attache actually drives one himself.

We finally break from the traffic that was keeping us close together. He was in front as we got into the clear and immediately hit it. I was in 6th and didnt downshift(I told you already, thats my thing) and he started pulling away as my car was building power. 90-100-110 and Im reeling him in. 120 comes and Im pulling up on his side door from his bumper as if he was going 20mph less than me. 130-140 and Im passing him. Yes he was on it, there was enough colored air pouring out of his exhaust that I thought he might have had it building up in there for a while.

Then we both slow down for upcomming traffic. And then it clears again.

Boom we were off. This time I shift to 4th and Im at 3100rpms. The car digs its heels in and pulls on the SRT8 qucker this time. I shift into 6th at around 6k and fall back a little but then the power came on strong again. I ended up coming along his door so much more rapidly than expected that he just hit his brakes and ended it. I think I was doing about 130ish again.

I then went back down to around 80ish and cruised back home punching it here and there just to feel the power squirts.

Again, theres a few tweaks needed here and there to smooth out a couple tuning wrinkles. However, if this is what V2 is supposed to feel like, then youve got it in a package thats half the price.

More info to come...

For People Who Dont Want To Read All 1000+ Pages

As of right now, the pricing for the Attache is $795. The price for the FMIC mentioned later in the thread is $959. Eric@Helix mentioned there will be packages available if you want multiple items at one time.

Dynojet numbers with Attache and Attache+FMIC found here

The post containing all the optional maps to be downloaded into your Attache is found here

To get on the list for an Attache, please call Eric@Helix 1-877-HELIX-13 or check their website http://helixbimmersport.com/

Post containing actual customer car on Attache tune only here

In terms of map switching between the two on the Attache, there will be a wire made available for you to use with a switch(that you choose to buy(radio shack worked for me)) and mount wherever you want so its accessible to you. See here for my thread on my switch install.

Also let it be known that the vacuum lines for the solenoids are not touched at all. They are bypassed electronically and controlled by the Attache itself. From a visual standpoint, anyone looking into the engine bay wouldnt have a clue theres an Attache in there.

This is a piggyback type unit(ie: Procede, JB2, Xede), not like the SSTT. You DO need to tap into the wiring harness in the ECU for this. The instructions will be so simple, my 2yr old nephew could do it.

Map switching in terms of upgrading your maps to newer ones will be handled by having Helix send you a new Attache unit with the maps uploaded and you sending your old one back. The cost to do so is the price of an Attache and shipping. Once Helix receives your Attache back, they will refund the purchase price.
07 335i(gone)

Last edited by HyperM3; 04-03-2008 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Sounds like a great tune. Please keep us posted, i'm really interested in this. BTW, i'm assuming that your rear boost solenoid was bypassed when it was installed?

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
Sounds like a great tune. Please keep us posted, i'm really interested in this. BTW, i'm assuming that your rear boost solenoid was bypassed when it was installed?
Yes, as of right now, the solenoid is still bypassed. Thats one thing we are working on and do have it planned to put the wires back to stock so that if someone looked in, you couldnt tell.

Oh, theres also no ground wire to contend with either that a tech could see.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Helix Wildebeest
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mini TurboKompressor

SRT8 eh lol
Mark and I already started working on the updates. We did some datalogging already and made some positive changes. We are going to electronicly bypass the solenoid this weekend as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaRTan8 View Post
SRT8 eh lol
Mark and I already started working on the updates. We did some datalogging already and made some positive changes. We are going to electronicly bypass the solenoid this weekend as well.
Sorry man, I know it was like your family and all but I had to represent. It did hold its own for a few seconds though.

Looking forward to the updates!
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #6
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Yes, as of right now, the solenoid is still bypassed. Thats one thing we are working on and do have it planned to put the wires back to stock so that if someone looked in, you couldnt tell.

Oh, theres also no ground wire to contend with either that a tech could see.
Sounds great, thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaRTan8 View Post
SRT8 eh lol
Ahhh... that is a pretty smart way to get around that. This tune is looking better and better. Keep up the good work.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I enjoyed the write up and look forward to more information. One thing I will note though--my Procede is not jerky in any respect. It is a totally smooth power delivery and provides power in any gear straight up to redline. There is no bias in the lower rpm range as you have described. I just wanted to point that out. I have an auto with 1.47 LBT map.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewKo View Post
I enjoyed the write up and look forward to more information. One thing I will note though--my Procede is not jerky in any respect. It is a totally smooth power delivery and provides power in any gear straight up to redline. There is no bias in the lower rpm range as you have described. I just wanted to point that out. I have an auto with 1.47 LBT map.
I dont think I said the PROcede was "jerky", I never experienced that with mine either. It was smooth also but not as smooth as this. With the PROcede, I always felt that I was running at or beyond its means. With the Attache, it feels like its holding back its true potential while still providing a fulfilling victory. As if its hardly breathing heavy.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I dont think I said the PROcede was "jerky", I never experienced that with mine either. It was smooth also but not as smooth as this. With the PROcede, I always felt that I was running at or beyond its means. With the Attache, it feels like its holding back its true potential while still providing a fulfilling victory. As if its hardly breathing heavy.
Well, i guess I don't understand what you are describing...not a big deal though. I don't sense the same in my Procede's power delivery. Maybe its just your car?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 11:06 PM   #10
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
My car is still faster than yours.

j.k.

Nice write up. So, I guess your PROcede is for sale? lol!

No wonder you didn't reply to my e-mail. lol! I sent you an e-mail to your work e-mail address.

We should do some runs when I find a place to get 100 octane. lol!

It will be Attache vs. JB2R

Just for fun of course.

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 11:22 PM   #11
revah2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

On Average the Attache had 16whp over the procede v1.47. Impressive results, keep us posted with more compartive dynos
800 dollars is a hell of a bargain
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 11:29 PM   #12
Boostin335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, C8, MKIV Supra

where is this company out of? I see both posters for the attache are NJ sig signed.

Im in NJ
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 11:30 PM   #13
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin335 View Post
where is this company out of? I see both posters for the attache are NJ sig signed.

Im in NJ
Helix is based out of Philadelphia, PA.

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 11:58 PM   #14
E90 335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Sweet....I am ordering the day it comes out.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 12:23 AM   #15
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
Very nice showing from the attache... if some more of the futures that have been discussed as a possibility show up i might have to jump ship and Ive been on the procede ship since it was XEDE. I really would love some sort of launch control.

Anyways could you post the dyno sheets? It would be really nice to see the graphs side by side. I really want to see how linear they are side by side.

Tuned E92 335, Riss Racing downpipes! And hopefully over 400RWHP!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 02:26 AM   #16
LODOSS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335 E92

Would love to see some dyno comparisons between the procede 1.47, 2.0x and the helix just to get an idea of how the power is being delieverd differently.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 03:04 AM   #17
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Will this come with an Attache case?
      11-17-2007, 03:13 AM   #18
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:

So there you have the overall impression.

I was at Helix today to get my car installed with their "still under development" tune. Its the 13psi tune pretty much equal to the PROcede v1.4x models.

More info to come...
Thank you for the review. Interesting.

- Eugen
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 06:58 AM   #19
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewKo View Post
Well, i guess I don't understand what you are describing...not a big deal though. I don't sense the same in my Procede's power delivery. Maybe its just your car?
My apologies if theres a communication gap. If you tell me which part of my OP you are quoting from, that will help me. It very well could have been my car, I wasnt speaking on PROcede as a whole, just my experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
Nice write up. So, I guess your PROcede is for sale? lol!.....We should do some runs when I find a place to get 100 octane. lol!
Actually, my PROcede is already PREsold(lol I kill myself). For those that care, if you are going to run 100+ octane, there is a 15psi map in the works as well.

Still want to run Scott?
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #20
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LODOSS View Post
Would love to see some dyno comparisons between the procede 1.47, 2.0x and the helix just to get an idea of how the power is being delieverd differently.
You can see some graphs posted in the thread started by Mini Hercules, err I mean Marc.

As of right now, I have a kink in the beginning(around 2300rpm) that we need to smooth out(already mentioned by Anthony that an update is ready for the fix). Other than that, the power is being delivered pretty much the same way as the graphs on V2. Very smooth and flat with little taper all the way to redline.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #21
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Interesting...very interesting.
      11-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #22
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

Quote:
My apologies if theres a communication gap. If you tell me which part of my OP you are quoting from, that will help me. It very well could have been my car, I wasnt speaking on PROcede as a whole, just my experiences.

Actually, my PROcede is already PREsold(lol I kill myself). For those that care, if you are going to run 100+ octane, there is a 15psi map in the works as well.

Still want to run Scott?

The 15psi can't be run on 91 or 93?
Appreciate 0