E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > help troubleshooting GreenYi backup camera

11-08-2022, 12:30 PM   #1
mcp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi (e92)

help troubleshooting GreenYi backup camera

Hey everybody! I got a greenYi option D backup camera and I've been struggling to get it to work with my Bimmertech MMI Prime set up.

I've done some pretty basic troubleshooting but I don't have a good way to test video output while inputting 12v. I don't have a portable power supply I can use.

Made sure the cable runs are solid, they all had continuity. Doesn't work in auto or relay mode, but I haven't installed an actual relay because the car is automatic. Signal is non existent, screen goes black but no video whatsoever. I

If anybody has been having similar issues or knows a good troubleshooting step for me to take that would be really helpful!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 02:40 PM   #2
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Quote:
I don't have a portable power supply I can use.
You have car battery that generally outputs ~12V.
Just be slightly careful, it has lots of amps.

Hook it up while ignition on to test it.

I've had similar troubles, i was using turn on signal from reversing lights and they are running at ~9V. Not enough to activate circuit.

I coded the FRM. First that the signal is not PWM (it was by default) and then increased voltage.
Now works as should. The greenYi looks like generic aliexpress one so the same fix should apply. There are E9X specific models that have integrated camera into the trunk handle so you don't need to drill a random hole.

Probably necessary to have multimeter if RNG is against you - to verify connections.

Last edited by Captain Buumer; 11-08-2022 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 04:26 PM   #3
mcp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Buumer View Post
Quote:

I've had similar troubles, i was using turn on signal from reversing lights and they are running at ~9V. Not enough to activate circuit.

I coded the FRM. First that the signal is not PWM (it was by default) and then increased voltage.
Now works as should. The greenYi looks like generic aliexpress one so the same fix should apply. There are E9X specific models that have integrated camera into the trunk handle so you don't need to drill a random hole.

Probably necessary to have multimeter if RNG is against you - to verify connections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Buumer View Post
Quote:

I was specifically trying to test it outside of the car, on an old TV that takes component in, so I could verify the camera was actually working.

I thought i've tried testing it directly to the battery but I can absolutely try it again, i just have no way to keep the car in reverse to see the display but keep the camera powered in a test setup.

The one I have is the E9X specific camera already. It's supposed to be the nicest generic one possible. Already have tested all the connections for continuity with my multimeter.
Appreciate 0