E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > CIC Carplay unit, which one, and audio output?

12-09-2022, 07:43 PM   #1
Shyatic
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7, 2011 BMW 335xd

CIC Carplay unit, which one, and audio output?

Hi all,

So I've been reading through a bunch of threads here... and I want to pull the trigger on a built-in unit to replace my iDrive display so I have touch screen and CarPlay. I have a 2011 CIC 335xi, so that's where my questions would address..

So!

First, which unit should I be looking for? There's a lot of options on Aliexpress, and all I want is Carplay, and backup camera functionality if I can get it -- bonus if it has a backup camera that is included.

Secondly, I keep seeing this "DAB" or "DAB+" -- what is that?

Next, do I need to install the GPS module that comes with most units, or the wifi adapter? I plan to use Carplay via cable (it's faster in my experience), but open to thoughts on that.

Last, is there a way to connect audio instead of using AUX, and using a digital connection? I am "okay" with doing it the AUX route, but it's not an ideal scenario and I'm sure sound quality suffers.

Any other gotchas I might run into, please let me know

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 03:12 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If you have idrive Mr12volt is the only add on that does not use the Aux that
I am aware of .
GPS is built into the trunk modules in BMW's

https://www.mr12volt.com/

The cheap chinese stuff all uses aux there are plenty of people that use those and
mostly they have trouble with them.

DAB only apply to the United Kingdom it's like HD or satellite radio here.
Appreciate 0