E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > So I washed my war today...

01-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
d-burn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335i xDrive M-Sport

So I washed my war today...

Yes...I know it's -20 degrees, but I couldn't stand looking at my car covered in salt and dirt from a trip up north and back last weekend sitting in my parking garage in nice warm rust inducing temp's. It's been crazy cold all week with no sign of letting up in the next day or two, so I went for it.

Anyways, due to the cold temps I couldn't be bothered dry the car after the wash (coin-op), and most of the water was frozen before I would have been able to dry it anyways.

Long story short, as I was pulling into my parking garage driveway, there was the most god awful crack sound/feeling which seemed to cover the whole roof. Almost sounding like the metal sound of the entire roof warping. I've heard ice cracking on cars here and there before with my many years of winter driving, but nothing like this.

Hate to sound overly paranoid (but let's admit most of us are with our rides), but any chance I permanantly f'd something up, or was it just the big think sheet of ice likely frozen on my roof cracking and making a brutal sound. I'm worried water got into the sunroof area, or rear window area, and lifted/cracked something with the chassis twisting motion that happens when turning into a sloped driveway.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
liang
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I don't think a bit of ice is able to mess up with the metal.

If there are still chucks of ice on your car once it is in your garage, then take a hot towel and use it to melt the ice and wipe away the melted ice.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
demontwinz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

u should be ok bro.

my car is covered in this grey film .. hahaha i will wait until sunday to wash
      01-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liang View Post
I don't think a bit of ice is able to mess up with the metal.

If there are still chucks of ice on your car once it is in your garage, then take a hot towel and use it to melt the ice and wipe away the melted ice.
....while scratching the sh&^ out of your car.......
Probably just ice around sunroof seal.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

first off you a brave mofo.... I was temped to wash yesterday too but i would be going to petro i don't know how you managed to go to a coin wash.

lucky the doors and locks didn't freeze.

second I think you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
d-burn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techy1 View Post
first off you a brave mofo.... I was temped to wash yesterday too but i would be going to petro i don't know how you managed to go to a coin wash.

lucky the doors and locks didn't freeze.

second I think you'll be fine.
It's a catch 22 really...when it's this cold you don't want to stand outside and coin-op it (which is why i didn't dry it), but the temp difference driving in/out of the touchless when it's this cold is just begging for a cracked windshield if there is the tiniest stone chip or pressure edge crack somewhere that is just on the verge of going.

If my car was parked in cold temps, I wouldn't have worried about it, as the salt can't really do a whole lot of rust harm in the cold. It's the fact that it's parked in an +18 degree parking garage that had me not want to wait another 4 or 5 days with caked on salt and dirt everywhere. Since it's a heated garage, I wasn't worried about freezing doors/locks.

You guys have put my mind at ease for now. Biggest concern was I cracked the sunroof or seal ont he rear window or something, because that's what it sounded like. Never had an ice sound that loud and spread out across the roof and rear glass area before. Didn't realize the chassis would twist that much turning into the slight incline of the garage driveway.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 Coupe

I just washed my car, and then took out some towels and dried it up as best as I could in the freezing cold. Too worried things would freeze. Go to suffer a bit.

But like others noted, no way did the ice ruin the frame/top of the car. Probably a large thing layer of ice that cracked and shifted. Your car should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
d-burn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok_2011 View Post
I just washed my car, and then took out some towels and dried it up as best as I could in the freezing cold. Too worried things would freeze. Go to suffer a bit.

But like others noted, no way did the ice ruin the frame/top of the car. Probably a large thing layer of ice that cracked and shifted. Your car should be fine.
Figured as much, but sometimes you just need to hear a few other people say it so I don't think i'm in denial. lol
Appreciate 0