E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Installing Power Folding Mirrors with Autodimming feature

04-25-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: e93 330d

DIY: Installing Power Folding Mirrors with Autodimming feature

Hi mates,

This time, I'm showing you how to retrofit a pair of power folding mirrors with autodimming feature (also with memories and parking feature)

This DIY is only valid for e9x with POWER SEATS with MEMORIES, if you don't have them, you must change the wiring inside the passenger door and connect some wires to the JBE (I don't know exactly how to do it, look at the WDS)

It is very easy. You have to swap from your old mirrors to the new pair.
You have to change the power windows switch panel.
Finally you must code the car with the new equipment.

For the autodimming feature, you must have the inner autodimming mirror (see my other DIY)

Let's go:

It is possible to retrofit only the dimming feature if you have the power folding feature from factory.

Regards!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey

WOW! i wanna do this thanks for posting. how much n where did u get those parts from?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

nice! i want to do this. stupid question but how do you code once they are installed?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton2002 View Post
WOW! i wanna do this thanks for posting. how much n where did u get those parts from?
You can find each full mirror in ebay for 180€ and the switch panel for 50€.

So, the whole retrofit is about 400€

If you don't have power seats with memory you have to add a few wires from the passenger door to the FRM (the footwell module ).

Regards
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
nice! i want to do this. stupid question but how do you code once they are installed?
You need a DCAN interface and know how to change the VO and recode your modules.
There is a coding subforum where you can find out how to do this.

It is necessary to add $430 code to your VO.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 04:07 AM   #6
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey

well, considering that i can jus shut those mirrors with a push... i better save The$$ for other mods. haha! altho it is something tht i always wanted to do. grt tips tho. thx!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 04:32 AM   #7
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

I wonder if it's the same as the 135 got memory seat and auto dimming inside mirror already.

Edit just watch the video seems you can!

Last edited by RaihaX; 05-04-2012 at 04:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
I wonder if it's the same as the 135 got memory seat and auto dimming inside mirror already.

Edit just watch the video seems you can!
I am not sure but 1-Series and 3-Series have the same ECU's so I think that it is the same, plug&code&play

Someone asked me via PM if it is the same for e92 (coupé)
Yes, of course. Convertibles and Coupés have the same doors so my DIY is exactly the same.
You only have to know that the power window switch panel is different because coupés only have 2 power windows.

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

i just did this retrofit and am having problems with the auto dimming side mirrors not dimming. my rearview mirror dims fine but the side mirrors does not dim at all.

can i check if you coded the whole car or just the CAS and FRM modules? I've added $430 and $431 to the VO and coded the CAS and FRM. looking at the FSW_PSW.trc files the various spiegel values are already set to aktiv including the SPIEGEL_ELEKTROCHROM.

appreciate any help on this.

update: managed to solve my own problem. coded the 2JBBF, CAS, FZD, NFRM once using expert profile in NCS. then used revtor's profile in NCS to reset the FZD and NFRM. Not sure which step did the trick, most probably the resets did it.

Last edited by snoozee; 06-02-2012 at 05:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozee View Post
i just did this retrofit and am having problems with the auto dimming side mirrors not dimming. my rearview mirror dims fine but the side mirrors does not dim at all.

can i check if you coded the whole car or just the CAS and FRM modules? I've added $430 and $431 to the VO and coded the CAS and FRM. looking at the FSW_PSW.trc files the various spiegel values are already set to aktiv including the SPIEGEL_ELEKTROCHROM.

appreciate any help on this.

update: managed to solve my own problem. coded the 2JBBF, CAS, FZD, NFRM once using expert profile in NCS. then used revtor's profile in NCS to reset the FZD and NFRM. Not sure which step did the trick, most probably the resets did it.
If you had seen my other DIY available at http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653095 you had realized that you must recode FZD module in order to get the inner mirror working and communicating with the rest of the car.

Regards!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_JN;120****8
If you had seen my other DIY available at http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653095 you had realized that you must recode FZD module in order to get the inner mirror working and communicating with the rest of the car.

Regards!
the required values were as what you had mentioned in you other DIY just with VO change and coding of CAS and FRM without coding the FZD which was why I was confused why it wasn't working.

Anyway I've solved it already and it works great.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozee View Post
Anyway I've solved it already and it works great.
That's what matters
      06-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
Johnnyj525
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

lookin good
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
sn0pea
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 325i 2006

Hey man, Great DIY on power folding mirrors. I have a semi-related questions that I figured you could help me out with since you were able to retrofit power mirrors.

My power mirrors have an issue where when I fold them out, the driver side mirror goes past where it should normally stop and continues folding out till the mirror points to the front of the car.

I have taken the mirror cover off and didnt find anything that looked like the locking mechanism that stops the mirror at the proper location.

So question: When you were retrofitting the power mirrors, did you see any kind of locking mechanism that stopped the mirror in the proper location? If so, where was it located?

Thanks man!

2006 325i: Matte Black Grills, AG m310 19's (19X8.5et35 & 19X9.5et33 - 235/35/19 & 265/30/19), Amber Covers, Magnaflow with black tips, Blacked Emblems, M3 Replica Bumper and Vorsteiner hood!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Hi!

The reason of your problem is that there is a spring inside the axle of the mirror which presses the head of the mirror with the base.

When the spring loses part of its strength, the mirror continues opening until it is stopped by an obstacle (the door in this case).
If you stare at the axle of the mirror (without the cap) you can see a small step where the mirror should be blocked when it is opening.

I know that a friend who had the same problem tried to fix it inserting a steel washer (which was cutted until it looked like a 'C' letter) between the spring and the top trying to tighten the spring a little bit.

Maybe you could try to clean and apply grease the spring in order to get it sliding smoothly.

The other way is replacing the mirror for a new one... but it is expensive...

Regards

PS: Let us know if finally you are able to fix it.
      08-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #16
Maxblast
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F30 330e (Hybrid) M sport

I want to try this. I now have just electric and heated mirrors so no folding mirrors.

Anyone have the right partnumbers for two mirrors for a 2012 E90/E90?

And do these folding mirrors have the parking feature because this interest me most.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #17
ragenitro6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i pre LCI

Pricey but cool

I already have that door switch w/the parking feature - but in looking for the OEM folding mirrors, this is a pretty pricey mod...cool, but pricey...

Looks like Tischer sells the mirror assembly w/folding and w/auto dimming for $393/EACH....ouch..ha.....

Many other mods I want to do before this one....

Nice DIY though...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragenitro6 View Post
I already have that door switch w/the parking feature - but in looking for the OEM folding mirrors, this is a pretty pricey mod...cool, but pricey...

Looks like Tischer sells the mirror assembly w/folding and w/auto dimming for $393/EACH....ouch..ha.....

Many other mods I want to do before this one....

Nice DIY though...
Try to find them at eBay, you can buy it for less than 400USD both!
Sometimes I can find them here in Spain for 250€ both (from a crashed car...).

Regards
      08-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

I maxblast, I cannot send you private messages, I don't know why...

Anyway:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxblast
Hi,

Thanks for the great diy. I can buy a set of mirrors from UK so from a right hand driven car.
Do you know if the tilting (parking) function is built in the mirror or is this function coded?
So do you think that all mirrors are the same?

Hope you can help me.

Thanks,
Ron
The Netherlands
Hi,

The mirrors have a LIN controller inside them. This controller is listening te BUS so if you push the button, the mirror see if the action is sent for it or not.
Maybe you have to buy the LHD version of them (100€ each).

Anyway, if you want to try, at the FRM module (the main module which controlls mirrors and windows) has a parameter called 'RECHTS_LENKER' which means right hand drive.
I am not sure if this parameter is which also controls which mirror is going to tilt... So I am not sure if the RHD mirrors are going to fit.

Regards.
      08-15-2012, 03:59 AM   #20
Maxblast
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Thank you for your reply. I think I need more posts to send out a PM but strangle I could send you a PM from my Iphone :-).

I decided not to buy the UK mirrors. It seems the dead angle is wrong and also the controlpanel will not fit.

So trying to find correct mirrors and controlpanel.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #21
Maxblast
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

I bought a set of mirrors and controlpanel from Germany. Will get the set in a few days. What would be the best way to code the automatic tilt function? Can I use NCS dummy for this?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #22
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxblast View Post
I bought a set of mirrors and controlpanel from Germany. Will get the set in a few days. What would be the best way to code the automatic tilt function? Can I use NCS dummy for this?
You have to add $313 to your VO (or $430 if they are auto dimming) and recode the FRM module. After that, the auto tilt function should work like shown in the video

You can do it with NCS of course.

Regards.

Last edited by Jose_JN; 08-28-2012 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0