E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Question regarding Individual Audio speakers

01-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #1
LandoT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Garage List
Question regarding Individual Audio speakers

So I upgraded my Hifi system with the Rockford Fosgate drop in speakers (got a good deal), an XD700/5 amp, and some subwoofers.

I was thinking about the best way to upgrade the rear doors now and found a pair of Individual Audio coaxials for a decent price. Do these use the same connectors as the OEM Hifi speakers? Would it be worth putting them in or should I wait for a matching pair of the Fosgates?

I can currently find the Fosgate set for ~$300 and the IA coaxials for ~$100.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoT View Post
So I upgraded my Hifi system with the Rockford Fosgate drop in speakers (got a good deal), an XD700/5 amp, and some subwoofers.

I was thinking about the best way to upgrade the rear doors now and found a pair of Individual Audio coaxials for a decent price. Do these use the same connectors as the OEM Hifi speakers? Would it be worth putting them in or should I wait for a matching pair of the Fosgates?

The "rear door" BMW IA speakers use the OEM connectors. They are best paired with the BMW IA rear tweeter. You probably need a 1 7/8" hole saw & an exacto knife to cut away the leather/pleather before using the hole saw to do its work. There's a circle on the backside of the door panel where this particular tweeter goes, and thus where you make your hole.

Part number 65137838901 & threaded adapter - 65138360689 this holds the tweeter in place.

Personally, I'd put the BMW IA speakers in the entire car less minus the underneath front subs. Those you gotta be very selective with in terms of what you put in there. You want something that can play 40 to 500mhz. That can be difficult to find. There are options, but some are not cheap. Some, you just gotta get lucky (be in the right place & right time)

You can get a set of BMW IA speakers for around $650-750.00. People on the M3 forum have them for sale quite frequently.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 05:28 PM   #3
LandoT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:

The "rear door" BMW IA speakers use the OEM connectors. They are best paired with the BMW IA rear tweeter. You probably need a 1 7/8" hole saw & an exacto knife to cut away the leather/pleather before using the hole saw to do its work. There's a circle on the backside of the door panel where this particular tweeter goes, and thus where you make your hole.

Part number 65137838901 & threaded adapter - 65138360689 this holds the tweeter in place.

Personally, I'd put the BMW IA speakers in the entire car less minus the underneath front subs. Those you gotta be very selective with in terms of what you put in there. You want something that can play 40 to 500mhz. That can be difficult to find. There are options, but some are not cheap. Some, you just gotta get lucky (be in the right place & right time)

You can get a set of BMW IA speakers for around $650-750.00. People on the M3 forum have them for sale quite frequently.
Cool, thank you for the information. I don't really want to pull out the Fosgate T3s or spend 500+ more on door speakers at this point. I think the T3s sound pretty good so I'm only looking to put something in the rear for now whether that is matching the T3 or something else that will be cost effective and sound better than the Hifi.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 02:30 AM   #4
KClemente
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Cool, thank you for the information. I don't really want to pull out the Fosgate T3s or spend 500+ more on door speakers at this point. I think the T3s sound pretty good so I'm only looking to put something in the rear for now whether that is matching the T3 or something else that will be cost effective and sound better than the Hifi.
What I did on my rear door was install some E92 rear side Logic 7 tweeters on my E90 rear doors. I wish I had a hole saw while doing the work but I still was able to cut a hole big enough with just a dremel. Stock rear door speaker bracket has the cutout for the tweeter, so everything looks oem.

I have tried both IA coax's and regular Logic 7 component and heard the tweeters on the Logic 7 way more than the IA's. Note I have ran both the IA amp and my stock Logic 7 amp. They are way different in terms of sound staging and fill.

So depending on whether or not you like lots of sound fill, you can go component (hole saw) or the IA coax (drop in).
      01-15-2020, 02:38 AM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

It's not worth it spending much time or money on rear speakers.
Your ears face fowards.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 08:30 PM   #6
LandoT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I ended up going with some Rockford Fosgate T142 coax speakers for the rear. It definitely has improved the sound. With the front components, subs, and amp it sounds a ton better.
Appreciate 0